• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Are there spirit-filled Christians in non-Trinitarian churches?

Discussion in 'Spirit-Filled / Charismatic' started by TruthSeek3r, Nov 17, 2021.

1. TruthSeek3r

TruthSeek3r Well-Known Member

+340
    Chile
    Christian
    Single
    What about Oneness Pentecostals, Latter-day Saints or any other denominations that believe in the gifts of the Spirit but reject the Trinity?

Does God's Spirit move in non-Trinitarian denominations? Are they experiencing a counterfeit?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+5,554
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    This is the kind of question that you should realize is going to be biased based on a person's position. If you look on YouTube their are people that claim to be Spirit Filled, prophetically gifted etc. yet are anti-Trinitarian, believe that it is a man made teaching, heresy etc. Marcus Rodgers is probably the best example. TD Jakes is/was had a Oneness background (not sure his status now). But I'm sure if you work some key word searches you will find a number of people claiming to be "teaching by the Spirit" against the Trinity and believing their Trinitarian friends and relatives are deceived etc.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  3. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,709
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I dont think a misunderstanding of how God revealed Himself can be adequately denied. His prophet Isaiah delivered the message.

"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

4. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+3,133
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Hello! I have often wondered how 'Oneness' Pentecostals would react to this:

As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:13-17) God Bless :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+5,695
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi @TruthSeek3r

I'm not convinced that our understanding the trinitarian nature of God is a prerequisite or post requisite of salvation. I'm not really sure that even those who 'believe' the trinitarian relationship of God, 'understand' that trinitarian relationship.

According to the Scriptures, if one has been born again, then they have the Spirit of God indwelling them. That, of course, begs the question, "Well, how do we know if someone has been born again?" Ahhh, that can be a difficult task for a man to determine. Jesus spoke of the Spirit as being quite unknowing to us, as to where he is and the things that he is doing. He likens the Spirit to the wind. Something that we know exists, but we can't be sure where it has come from or where it is going.

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

God bless,
    Ted

6. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+5,554
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I knew a Spirit Filled East Syriac (American) Bishop that asked them that concerning whether or not Jesus was talking to himself, switching back between Himself and the Father. He really grilled them on the logic of it, and the details etc. and the person with a blush on his face agreed that yes he believed Jesus was talking to Himself as the Father, acting as the Holy Spirit etc.. It might of been the mount of Transfiguration, but I think he tried to quiz him on all the good passages, where 2 or 3 members of the Godhead are mentioned, visibly active and the logic is extremely tortured, because Modalism etc. only sorta makes sense if you have God operating in time like a regular human being.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Collum Cille of Iona

Collum Cille of Iona Member

+25
    Catholic
    I have had speaks with Oneness Pentecostals. They say speaking in tongues is a prerequisite for salvation and other legalistic views. They sometimes try to coach seekers into 'speaking in tongues' by repeating a phrase after them. It is difficult to see people so deluded and not be moved to compassion. The dangers of accepting private revelation over the truths of the faith as revealed to the church.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Joan Lamb

Joan Lamb New Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    There are Mormons who can speak in tongues and use this as evidence of being Spirit filled. But I'm not sure that it is for them.

9. SchmedlytheGreat

SchmedlytheGreat New Member

+16
    United States
    Word of Faith
    Married
    I know believers who believe in the Father and Son and Holy Ghost, yet refuse to be forced into using the terms like "Trinity" and "rapture" simply because the terms are not in scripture. They pretty much believe the same as most believers do... minus the extra Biblical terminology.

10. Tigger45

Tigger45 Good Shepherd Supporter

+12,024
    United States
    Generic Orthodox Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    In response to the OP I’d reply yes although a churches teachings can either hurt or help a person in their relationship with the Lord because

Isaiah 55:11
    so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

11. jiminpa

jiminpa Senior Member Supporter

+479
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I personally believe both are right and wrong. There is no question that, in scripture, God is actually and in fact one. Jesus said so. You can't see Jesus and not see the Father. But you can't read scripture and not see that the Father, Son and Spirit are also distinct. I don't try to explain it. I just see that the Bible says that it is so.

If I'm right, the Oneness believers are no more or less wrong than the dogmatic Trinitarians who call them "heretics."

12. jiminpa

jiminpa Senior Member Supporter

+479
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I think one of the big problems is that there are those who have anointed themselves as the keepers of sound doctrine, but have some of the least Biblical doctrine there is, and people have let them get away with it. We have inherited some of the worst, unbiblical doctrine because of it, and anyone applying the Bible and finding that doctrine of man wanting is labelled a heretic by the new self anointed keepers of the "sound doctrine."

13. Joan Lamb

Joan Lamb New Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    That is interesting. But 'oneness' are different from this?