Are there passages in the Bible you can ignore?

Is it okay to ignore parts of the Bible?

• Total voters

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...The question is...is it okay to ignore parts of the Bible and why.
No part of the Bilble can be ignored. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3,16). All scripture is given us for something and can thus not be ignored by a Christian, but it's not stated that all scripture is given us to be followed, as something is written to warn a Christian not to follow the mentioned excample!

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
No part of the Bilble can be ignored. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3,16). All scripture is given us for something and can thus not be ignored by a Christian, but it's not stated that all scripture is given us to be followed, as something is written to warn a Christian not to follow the mentioned excample!
I observe Christians ignoring controversial parts of the Bible all the time. Even less than controversial passages such as those referring to head coverings. Of course they often say something similar to that being a first century cultural practice that is no longer required, but it seems they are actually simply ignoring the parts the do not like. The head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I observe Christians ignoring controversial parts of the Bible all the time. Even less than controversial passages such as those referring to head coverings.

In some cases it's not a matter of ignoring, but rather recognizing that some issues are less relevant than others. The teachings of Jesus are the cornerstone of Christianity; people should start with those before moving on to more esoteric stuff like head coverings.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
In some cases it's not a matter of ignoring, but rather recognizing that some issues are less relevant than others. The teachings of Jesus are the cornerstone of Christianity; people should start with those before moving on to more esoteric stuff like head coverings.
That seems rather arbitrary and quite like ignoring passages that indicate actionable mandates.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That seems rather arbitrary and quite like ignoring passages that indicate actionable mandates.

Nah, it's not arbitrary to recognize that one thing is more important or relevant than the other. For example, Jesus said a lot about money and how to love our neighbor. These are teachings which are relevant to day to day life; they have clear, practical implications for how we treat one another.

When you compare Jesus' teachings about our relationship to money (i.e. greed and materialism) to a rather esoteric comment from one of his followers about head coverings, it's easy to see that one is more relevant than the other.

The Bible itself never makes any claim that all of it is equally relevant/important or that it is complete or that it is perfect or infallible. The Bible is a collection of historical documents, testimonies, and letters collated into a single volume.

However, I do understand your concern that people can be arbitrary in how they sort the information in the Bible. The trick is learning to recognize when we're being arbitrary and when we're exercising genuine discernment regarding which information is more relevant.

For example, if I go to the library to find a book on auto-mechanics, I'm not ignoring that there are books on other topics; I'm just limiting my focus to what is most relevant according to the circumstances.

If I want to know how God interacted with his people back in Moses' day, then it makes sense that I would read the portions of the Bible which cover that information. If I want to know what's expected of God's people today, it makes more sense that I would read the teachings of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Did you read my post? I listed a few examples.
I don't see a clear criteria there that provides an objective approach for all people at all times. Without a strong criteria, it will involve personal preference or cherry picking. How does one avoid that?

Upvote 0

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I observe Christians ignoring controversial parts of the Bible all the time. Even less than controversial passages such as those referring to head coverings. Of course they often say something similar to that being a first century cultural practice that is no longer required, but it seems they are actually simply ignoring the parts the do not like. The head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer.

What mentioned here, Caliban, has nothing to do about ignoring the scripture - you are clearly telling yourselv that “the head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer” not that this i scriptual command for Christians at any place and for any time! All “religous traditions” may be totally wrong and is in any case in it’s own right of zero value, so let’s rather check what is important - the Scripture.

Head covering is metioned in 1st Corithian 11: “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven." (v5). What exactly do a such woman do: Dishounors her head! When exactly does she do this: “When she pray a or saying a prophesy uncovered”. Why is this so? ”... if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.”. Well, today it appearantly isn’t considered any shame for a woman to be “shorn or shaven”, but that don’t standalone remove what is said else, as the Scripture doesn't change. So how to a woman “cover her head” in 2020? At least for Norway: Simply by letting HER hat/headgear stay where it are in the church, while HIS hat/headgear is left in the wardrobe outside the church room or upon his knees. (In fact a so common habit in Norway that should a boy enter a room in s hurry with his headgear not remowoved, he will quickly be reminded abolut checking his head and asked to remowe what’s there, a girl will never be. However,please don't tell anyone, or someone will consider the habit to be discrimination of women!) Should a woman refuse a such habit, what’s the result: She dishonours her head - and she dishonours God, NOT by not cover her head, but by ignoring his word and resist against His Word and thus the LORD being his word.

Caliban, have you ever analyzed a situation as described upon what Scripture actually says about the situation instead of just assuming that “my own tradition as a beliver is of course 100 % equal to what told in the Scripture. Remember what the belivers in Berea - “more noble than those in Thessalonica” - did? If not, check Acts 17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
What mentioned here, Caliban, has nothing to do about ignoring the scripture - you are clearly telling yourselv that “the head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer” not that this i scriptual command for Christians at any place and for any time! All “religous traditions” may be totally wrong and is in any case in it’s own right of zero value, so let’s rather check what is important - the Scripture.

Head covering is metioned in 1st Corithian 11: “But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven." (v5). What exactly do a such woman do: Dishounors her head! When exactly does she do this: “When she pray a or saying a prophesy uncovered”. Why is this so? ”... if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.”. Well, today it appearantly isn’t considered any shame for a woman to be “shorn or shaven”, but that don’t standalone remove what is said else, as the Scripture doesn't change. So how to a woman “cover her head” in 2020? At least for Norway: Simply by letting HER hat/headgear stay where it are in the church, while HIS hat/headgear is left in the wardrobe outside the church room or upon his knees. (In fact a so common habit in Norway that should a boy enter a room in s hurry with his headgear not remowoved, he will quickly be reminded abolut checking his head and asked to remowe what’s there, a girl will never be. However,please don't tell anyone, or someone will consider the habit to be discrimination of women!) Should a woman refuse a such habit, what’s the result: She dishonours her head - and she dishonours God, NOT by not cover her head, but by ignoring his word and resist against His Word and thus the LORD being his word.

Caliban, have you ever analyzed a situation as described upon what Scripture actually says about the situation instead of just assuming that “my own tradition as a beliver is of course 100 % equal to what told in the Scripture. Remember what the belivers in Berea - “more noble than those in Thessalonica” - did? If not, check Acts 17.
I don't find your post compelling. Christians ignore parts of the Bible all the time--it's simply a fact.

Upvote 0

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't find your post compelling. Christians ignore parts of the Bible all the time--it's simply a fact.
Yes, should someone want a such conclution for his own purposes, this will of course be "simply a fact" - and what about an answer to my quiestion in my recent post, Caliban?

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't see a clear criteria there that provides an objective approach for all people at all times.

Can you think of any criteria for discernment which applies to all people at all times, because that doesn't sound realistic at all. it sounds like a gotcha argument you want to apply to Christians, but could not realistically apply to any other area of life.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, should someone want a such conclution for his own purposes, this will of course be "simply a fact" - and what about an answer to my quiestion in my recent post, Caliban?
Here is your question:
"...have you ever analyzed a situation as described upon what Scripture actually says..."

Yes, of course.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Can you think of any criteria for discernment which applies to all people at all times, because that doesn't sound realistic at all. it sounds like a gotcha argument you want to apply to Christians, but could not realistically apply to any other area of life.
It isn't a "gotcha argument"--it is a real question that I do not see an answer for. I don't think it can be done, but I could be wrong. I am asking you to provide a way that I could clearly determine which passages are objectively more important and actionable than passages such as head coverings. How can I know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is your question:
"...have you ever analyzed a situation as described upon what Scripture actually says..."

Yes, of course.

You didn't qute the most important of my question: "instead of just assuming that “my own tradition as a beliver is of course 100 % equal to what told in the Scripture."

Your answer "yes of course" don't at at all seems to correspond with what told in your first post where quoting me: "The head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer." Thus, please explain - detailled and clear! Also quote all relevant details in your answer if quoting anything.

Taking a dinner break now. Yes, know of course Christ fasted in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights, but have never found this as being an example required for his believers.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
You didn't qute the most important of my question: "instead of just assuming that “my own tradition as a beliver is of course 100 % equal to what told in the Scripture."

Your answer "yes of course" don't at at all seems to correspond with what told in your first post where quoting me: "The head covering example comes from my own religious tradition as a believer." Thus, please explain - detailled and clear! Also quote all relevant details in your answer if quoting anything.

Taking a dinner break now. Yes, know of course Christ fasted in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights, but have never found this as being an example required for his believers.
I said it comes from my experience as a believer; that indicates nothing about a method of translation or theological perspective. I was referring to a time when I was a believer. You are misapprehending the reason I wrote that. Don't read into it.

I have no clear idea why you would think that because Jesus fasted I would take that as a mandatory injunction for other to do it. That make no sense. There are clear passage I have referred to in this thread where I gave specific problematic passages where the injunction is clear. Take a look at those.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
How can I know?

Lets say you see a person starving to death. You've got some food on you and you remember Jesus saying that we should love our neighbor.

But, there's also someone who wants to arguing with you about this verse from Paul about head coverings.

In this hypothetical you can only do one or the other. Which choice do you think God would be more pleased with?

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
Lets say you see a person starving to death. You've got some food on you and you remember Jesus saying that we should love our neighbor.

But, there's also someone who wants to arguing with you about this verse from Paul about head coverings.

In this hypothetical you can only do one or the other. Which choice do you think God would be more pleased with?
But I am not talking about hypotheticals. You have just contrast two points that any person would understand because they use a utilitarian method outside of the text. Without a hypothetical or an extreme example, how can I textually determine which demands more of me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0