Are there passages in the Bible you can ignore?

Is it okay to ignore parts of the Bible?

• Total voters

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Interpretation isn't just some subjective lens through which to read a text, interpretation is the act of engaging with a text in such a way as to arrive at meaning. Thus in your example of context, what you demonstrate is precisely an act of interpretation. That kind of contextual, hermeneutical analysis is interpretation.

When I read in the Gospel narrative where Jesus asks for a coin and says, "Whose face is on this coin?" and we can look to see what the Tiberius-era Roman coins looked like, that provides a much necessary context, and thus a basis to understand what "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's." is supposed to mean.

It's simply not possible to talk about a text without talking about interpretation, because interpretation is the act of analysis by which the attempt to understand the meaning of the text takes place. Disagreements over interpretation are disagreements over context, analysis, and hermeneutical approaches. Which is why discussions and debates over textual exegesis, and the problems of engaging in eisegesis, are important when talking about any text, not just the texts of the Christian Bible.

-CryptoLutheran
Listen, this is for everyone. I know what interpretation is. I teach it for a living. I have multiple degrees in literary analysis. But you all are demonstrating precisely why I wanted to avoid this particular topic in this particular thread. We are now off topic from the actual question of this thread. I am not denying or ignorant of any of they points anyone is attempting to make here about the value of interpretation. Enough said?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Listen, this is for everyone. I know what interpretation is. I teach it for a living. I have multiple degrees in literary analysis. But you all are demonstrating precisely why I wanted to avoid this particular topic in this particular thread. We are now off topic from the actual question of this thread. I am not denying or ignorant of any of they points anyone is attempting to make here about the value of interpretation. Enough said?

Earlier you provided an example from Ephesians 6 concerning slaves serving their masters; asking if it's okay to ignore this. But how can this be answered without first understanding what that passage is saying, and what it means?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Earlier you provided an example from Ephesians 6 concerning slaves serving their masters; asking if it's okay to ignore this. But how can this be answered without first understanding what that passage is saying, and what it means?

-CryptoLutheran
Simple. However you interpret it...HOWEVER...is it okay to dismiss it?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand this is the sort of think which upsets you, but let me explain. Context is part of hermeneutical analysis. A person can consider the context of a text without engaging in various iterations of interpretive lenses or ideology. For example, I can discuss the context of Shakespeare naming a character Hamlet by observing Shakespeare's only son recently died--named Hamnet. That provides context without the more substantial considerations of Aesthetic or Feminist interpretation. The point of this thread is not to consider interpretive practices and trends within the religious community, but to later focus in on the question, Is it Okay to ignore parts of the Bible. That question requires a simple yes or no answer, but it would also be nice to explain why.

Ok. I get what you're saying, but as one who has studied basic, essential literary contexts of classic texts even back in high school---and being that I have a Master's in education, I, like you, can make a distinction here, several distinctions. However, when I'm talking hermeneutics, I'm mainly referring to Philosophical Hermeneutics and essential Literary hermeneutics, not Biblical Hermeneutics, and definitely not more fringe forms of hermeneutics. From my standpoint, all that was going on in my high school classes (and in some of my undergraduate college classes) was..........a basic form of non-biblical hermeneutics, which can include a study of basic literary contexts in a literary work. I don't see the study of literary contexts as 'just literary study' and then treat it as if it is something disconnected from and not still embedded within the overall field of hermeneutics.

I could be wrong, but something like Mortimer Adler's book, "How to Read a Book" isn't esoteric and it's applicable to any text, any piece of literature.

But to your question, since that is what you're wanting to focus on: My answer would be 'no,' I do not ignore parts of the Bible; what I do is conceptualize the whole process by which I evaluate and delineate whether a part of the Bible is applicable to me. So, while I might read and attempt to understand the entire Bible, I could (and should, really, if what Jesus says is true), I also consider that certain concepts and ideas in the Bible, particularly in the Old Testament, apply ONLY within certain historical or social parameters.

So, do I 'ignore' the idea of slavery in the Old Testament? That will depend on exactly what the DENOTATION of the term here is. If you're implying one sense or denotation of 'ignore,' but my whole approach requires that I refer to another denotation of that same term, then we're almost talking past one another.

See, in my view, I think it's almost a crime to read and apply the Bible ... while reading the Bible all by itself, and in an English version no less. When I then come across some awkward social issue like slavery, I'm not going to immediately import my moral and ethical notions of today into my reading. NO, I'm going to do the educated rather than the ignorant thing and vet out the place, time, culture, language, conceptual framework, and any other necessarily relevant factors, that pour into what makes Old Testament slavery its own form of slavery. I'm not going to assume it's the immediate predecessor of American Atlantic Slavery of yesteryear.

Anyway, I know you're an educated guy like I am, but you're going to HAVE to allow for the FACT that someone like me will have a ton of extra-biblical, even secular academic considerations that temper my own reading and acceptance of the Bible, and this will be the case because I'm aware of a multitude of interpretive, historical and philosophical issues that permeate these things regarding the reading of the Bible, all of which comes along side and in addition to my having empathy and compassion for people and an utter disregard for slavery as being any kind of legitimate institution today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The question is...is it okay to ignore parts of the Bible and why.

It's not good to ignore information; but it is okay to recognize that some information is less relevant or important than other bits of information.

I would like to stay on topic and not let the thread degenerate into esoteric talk of interpretation

What we should be looking for is right, or accurate interpretation. Esoteric means that a small number of people have an understanding of the issue, and relating this to Jesus saying that his way is narrow and few will find it, I don't think esoteric is necessarily a wrong way to interpret here, but if you mean head-trippy interpretations which seem to lead nowhere, then I agree with you that we should not encourage that kind of interpretation.

One person claimed that we should obey the leaders appointed over us in accordance with Romans 13:1.

One way to know if an interpretation is right is whether or not it is consistent. People often cite this verse from Paul as a means of supporting some particular agenda whether political or personal; "The Bible says to obey your leaders so you must support this politician! But, then that person will argue strongly against some other leader. It's inconsistent. The teaching itself is not wrong, but rather the way that it's being interpreted.

If you look closely at what Paul said in that passage from Romans you'll see that it's much the same logic Jesus used when he said, "Give to Caesar what belongs to him, and give to God what belongs to God". Most people (professing Christians included) only hear the first part, give to Caesar, because that's who they really follow. In the same way, most professing Christians interpret Paul's words as referring to an endorsement for whichever political candidate happens to tickle their fancy in the moment, whereas really Paul was referring to genuine, honest-to-God Christian leaders. It's takes discernment, or wise interpretation to work out who those good leaders really are (and you're unlikely to find any in politics).

Reactions: Caliban
Upvote 0

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is inspired by God. Not every word in the Bible is God's words, typically only the words of Christ fit that description within the Bible, but the commandments and laws of God are often pretty obvious. So if you're a Christian, and you read a law in the New Testament, I would say that you are obliged to not ignore it, but to follow it. If you believe that these laws are being delivered by God, and if you believe that God knows better than you how to live the kind of life you were created for, you would try to do as He says, yeah?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is inspired by God. Not every word in the Bible is God's words, typically only the words of Christ fit that description within the Bible, but the commandments and laws of God are often pretty obvious. So if you're a Christian, and you read a law in the New Testament, I would say that you are obliged to not ignore it, but to follow it. If you believe that these laws are being delivered by God, and if you believe that God knows better than you how to live the kind of life you were created for, you would try to do as He says, yeah?
I don't believe the Bible is inspired by any god, but I get your point. How would you address the immoral commands or laws in the Bible?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is okay to dismiss some scriptures, the reason why is because most of if not all scripture was written to a specific group during the age that the letters where written.

The reason we can see they are for a certain group of people and a lot of history is going on in these times and the reason is because the introductions and some of the subject matters.

you can study if you choose to, a lot of it boils down to having faith, and loving God and others.

Just like I believe in luke or one of the gospels it is a recorded account to see what I’m talking about Luke 1:2-4, we can use Roman 1:1-7, 1 Thessalonians 1:1, so on an so forth.

This does not discount however what some of the scriptures are talking about when it comes to throwing off ways of our former self to serving God, for example Galatians 5:1-26. Or expressions of the faith, resurrection, or the fact that the word of God still has the ability to pierce the soul.

Reading the word of God is healthy for our spirit, to have reassurance that God does love us and care for us and gives us the spirit to live by in this life now today by having faith.

just my two cents! May the grace, peace, mercy, compassion of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It is okay to dismiss some scriptures, the reason why is because most of if not all scripture was written to a specific group during the age that the letters where written.

The reason we can see they are for a certain group of people and a lot of history is going on in these times and the reason is because the introductions and some of the subject matters.

Just like I believe in luke or one of the gospels it is a recorded account to see what I’m talking about Luke 1:2-4, we can use Roman 1:1-7, 1 Thessalonians 1:1, so on an so forth.

This does not discount however what some of the scriptures are talking about when it comes to throwing off ways of our former self to serving God, for example Galatians 5:1-26. Or expressions of the faith, resurrection, or the fact that the word of God still has the ability to pierce the soul.

just my two cents! May the grace, peace, mercy, compassion of God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
That's the best response I have read so far. I am interested in what Christians think about some of the more controversial passages in the Bible. Injunctions toward violence and immoral behavior is rarely considered appropriate today, but it was permitted, if not, mandated in the text. Do you think the Bible is capable of error?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe the Bible is inspired by any god, but I get your point. How would you address the immoral commands or laws in the Bible?

Good question. If you believe in the God of the Bible, and read a law in the Bible that is from God, and it is a law that applies for all time, then it is not immoral, because belief in the God of the Bible is belief that He is All Good, and to willingly disobey Him would be a betrayal of one's beliefs. If it is a law that was for a specific time and place, and one is not in that time and place, then the law doesn't apply. If it is not from God, but merely advice from a trusted source, one might consider it the advice of a friend.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Good question. If you believe in the God of the Bible, and read a law in the Bible that is from God, and it is a law that applies for all time, then it is not immoral, because belief in the God of the Bible is belief that He is All Good, and to willingly disobey Him would be a betrayal of one's beliefs. If it is a law that was for a specific time and place, and one is not in that time and place, then the law doesn't apply. If it is not from God, but merely advice from a trusted source, one might consider it the advice of a friend.
So what if the standard of morality (God) commands something we consider morally repugnant today? Does the believer do the morally repugnant thing or avoid it?

Upvote 0

ByAnyOtherName

Dec 13, 2018
CA
✟17,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Married
So what if the standard of morality (God) commands something we consider morally repugnant today? Does the believer do the morally repugnant thing or avoid it?

If God, the source of morality, were to command something that the people considered immoral, there must either be something wrong with the way people understand the commandment, or there must be something wrong with the morality of the people themselves.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This topic came up on a different thread but it was a bit off topic, so I wanted to explore it here. One person claimed that we should obey the leaders appointed over us in accordance with Romans 13:1. I think people can, and do, dismiss this passage.
I would like to stay on topic and not let the thread degenerate into esoteric talk of interpretation--those discussions go nowhere. We all know people will disagree over any particular reading of a text and no one thinks they are wrong.

Huh? Didn't you say on another thread that you weren't a Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
If God, the source of morality, were to command something that the people considered immoral, there must either be something wrong with the way people understand the commandment, or there must be something wrong with the morality of the people themselves.
I think this is the crux of the issue; I'm many places in the Biblical text, God does command his people to participate in actions or systems that we all consider immoral today. Most Christians for example would consider the killing of a baby indisputably immoral, whereas that occurs within the text of the Old Testament without moral condemnation. I think contemporary Christians ignore these passages by omission or explaining them away.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Better visit the OSAS thread, they will tell you you don't exist, lol.
That's funny. I usually just tell people I used to believe. I provides a softer landing. The irony is that when I was a Christian, I was a deacon in the Reformed Church of the United States (RCUS). I have told friends from my congregation that they never were true believers (they went out from us because they were not of us). What a strange world. I am now better friends with those folks.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This topic came up on a different thread but it was a bit off topic, so I wanted to explore it here. One person claimed that we should obey the leaders appointed over us in accordance with Romans 13:1. I think people can, and do, dismiss this passage.
I would like to stay on topic and not let the thread degenerate into esoteric talk of interpretation--those discussions go nowhere. We all know people will disagree over any particular reading of a text and no one thinks they are wrong.

Ignore? Ideally, none of it because there is always something that can be learned from it. Even if it's commands that were not given to Christians, there is value in learning why God commanded them to the Jews at the time, and what it all says about the eternal God that we serve, or what it says about mankind.

Upvote 0