Are there congregations that follow 1 Cor 14:24-25's example to win unbelievers for Christ?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Corinthians 14:24-25, Paul teaches an extremely effective way to win souls for Christ, when an unbeliever or outsider steps for the first time into a Spirit-filled congregation:

24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you. [ESV]

Are there any Christian congregations that follow this example?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Corinthians 14:24-25, Paul teaches an extremely effective way to win souls for Christ, when an unbeliever or outsider steps for the first time into a Spirit-filled congregation:

24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you. [ESV]

How would you describe this example in your own words?

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How would you describe this example in your own words?

The text is talking about prophecy, but to me the scene looks more like a word of knowledge targeted to an unbeliever who just stepped into a church. The unbeliever comes by, and in a few minutes several of the members address him or her with words of knowledge that expose deep secrets in the person's heart, causing him or her to repent and give their life to Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The text is talking about prophecy, but to me the scene looks more like a word of knowledge targeted to an unbeliever who just stepped into a church. The unbeliever comes by, and in a few minutes several of the members address him or her with words of knowledge that expose deep secrets in the person's heart, causing him or her to repent and give their life to Jesus.
Then the answer to your question is yes, there are churches that do this. However, the word should not bring embarrassment. It is possible to prophesy in a way that points people to repentance but doesn't embarrass them while doing so.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't that what most churches do? Just start naming out sins preaching against sin and wickedness and letting people's conscience convict them until they repent?
I suppose it could be more of a baptist thing.. they are known as fire and brimstone preachers after all.
but that's the way Jesus preached too.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Isn't that what most churches do? Just start naming out sins preaching against sin and wickedness and letting people's conscience convict them until they repent?
Preaching is not necessarily prophesying. Preaching on sin can be browbeating the sheep into superficial compliance, and as such have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.

What the passage refers to is the spiritual gift of prophesy, It can be done via preaching, but it can be done by other means, such as word of knowledge. It also doesn't have to be directly addressed to the outsider, he can merely see it in operation among others and be convicted by the Spirit of the truth and power of it.

• Agree
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Preaching is not necessarily prophesying. Preaching on sin can be browbeating the sheep into superficial compliance, and as such have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit.

What the passage refers to is the spiritual gift of prophesy, It can be done via preaching, but it can be done by other means, such as word of knowledge. It also doesn't have to be directly addressed to the outsider, he can merely see it in operation among others and be convicted by the Spirit of the truth and power of it.

I always interpreted those verses to be just preaching about sins, not a particular apostolic gift

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always interpreted those verses to be just preaching about sins, not a particular apostolic gift
The entire chapter is about the gifts of prophecy and tongues. It's mentioned very numerous times.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The church at large has done a pretty good job of burying the spiritual gifts. Afraid of losing control, I guess.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I have seen it happen in a conference I attended. The preacher who led the Saturday evening service, said, "Let the Word of God come forth", and immediately there was a string of prophecies and tongues/interpretations. The glory of God came down and people were off their seats and on to their faces weeping and getting right with God.

In all the Pentecostal services I had been to in the 12 years I was with the movement, I never saw anything like it before or since. It actually spoiled me for anything else. It was a very powerful example of the prophetic word causing people to literally fall on their faces before God.

Leonard Ravenhill said that if there is unction in the pulpit, there will be action in the pews. I saw that unction that night, and the resulting action in the pews. It reminded me of the things that happened under the preaching of Jonathan Edwards and Charles Finney. The same things happened. Charles Finney walk through a textile factory, and the intensity of the Holy Spirit with him caused the women workers there to weep, get on their knees and get right with God. People criticise Finney, but he certainly got the results that many modern Pentecostal preachers don't.

That should give us all food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Giving personal words of knowledge has always concerned me - not that there isn't such a thing as the real gift, but that it can be and is so easily abused. Biblically-based prophecy is public declaration, because as the OP's verse states, "24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all." It takes guts and spiritual gusto to prophecy before all than simply walk up and say to someone, "I have a word for you, brother" in a semi-private setting where not everyone can hear. You could utter almost anything to them and not have to be accountable to the Spirit of God within the congregation as a whole.

So no, I would lean very heavily against it being word of knowledge that is spoken about in 1 Corinthians 14. Word of knowledge was used in a personal setting on both NT occasions when Jesus used it; once to convert the woman at the well, and the other to draw Nathaniel in as a disciple. The context of 1 Corinthians 14 and the gifts of prophecy and tongues/interpretation is entirely congregational.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Giving personal words of knowledge has always concerned me - not that there isn't such a thing as the real gift, but that it can be and is so easily abused. Biblically-based prophecy is public declaration, because as the OP's verse states, "24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all." It takes guts and spiritual gusto to prophecy before all than simply walk up and say to someone, "I have a word for you, brother" in a semi-private setting where not everyone can hear. You could utter almost anything to them and not have to be accountable to the Spirit of God within the congregation as a whole.

So no, I would lean very heavily against it being word of knowledge that is spoken about in 1 Corinthians 14. Word of knowledge was used in a personal setting on both NT occasions when Jesus used it; once to convert the woman at the well, and the other to draw Nathaniel in as a disciple. The context of 1 Corinthians 14 and the gifts of prophecy and tongues/interpretation is entirely congregational.
I never give a personal prophetic word to anyone without being asked to by that person. And I never give guidance-based words, because in my mind that would be usurping the Holy Spirit's internal guidance for that person.

The only exception to that was when I was taking a meeting, and I said that I would like to come down to the people and give prophetic words as led by the Spirit. If anyone didn't want to receive a word, they were quite free to say "no". If I felt to approach a person, I always asked, "Do you mind if I give you a word?" I was never refused and those whom I gave a word to, appreciated it. My policy was to always give encouraging words, like "God knows your heart" comments.

In one house meeting I put the "hot seat" out and if anyone wanted a prophetic word, to sit in that seat. Everyone did, and were amazed at the accuracy of each word, even though I was a stranger to that group. They got really excited when I said over one guy, "Give this man a financial miracle". I was told later than the guy was facing bankruptcy in his business.

I think I told this story elsewhere on the forum, but I gave a word to a young lady in a young person's camp, and her reaction was quite dramatic as she dissolved in sobbing and tears. It transpired that my word contained a word of knowledge about something that she had been for counselling earlier that day, which I had absolutely no idea about.

But personal prophecy can certainly be misused by someone intending to impress their will on people. My view, is to never accept unsolicited personal prophetic words for any reason. But if you go forward for prayer in an altar call, then expect to receive a prophetic word in that case, because going forward for prayer is giving permission to receive a word if the person praying for you (usually a properly appointed member of the ministry team) has one.

I heard of a ministry team member praying for a church elder who had come forward for prayer. He had a word of knowledge that the elder was having an affair with a female staff member. He didn't want to blurt it out because he knew that declaring it publicly would alienate the elder and divide the church. So he quickly asked the Lord for a word of wisdom. The Holy Spirit told him to say, "Faithfulness to your wife and family is the most important item on your agenda right now." The elder broke down and took the team member aside and confessed his affair. He received prayer and counselling, and the issue was resolved without destroying the elder's marriage and dividing the church. The team member got a word of knowledge for another male member about his addiction to inappropriate contentography. He again asked for wisdom from the Lord, and said to the member: "The Lord wants you to be completely clean before Him". Again the member broke down and confessed his addiction, and was prayed for and totally delivered from it with on-going counselling.

On another occasion, during a conference, the leader noticed a man going around different people and giving personal prophecies to them. He approached the man and asked him to stop. The man said, "The Lord has sent me here and appointed me to prophesy to these people". The leader said, 'If you won't stop giving unwanted prophecies to people, you can leave the conference". When the man resisted, the leader indicated a very nice but large usher who would help him out the door. The man suddenly felt he was guided by the Lord to leave the conference and scuttled out the door!

Upvote 0