Are there any saints who were known for their anger or who were sarcastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday, our Priest gave an excellent homily which stressed that we are all "called to be saints."

He said that we all fall into two groups: (a) we are sinners who think we are saints, or (b) we are saints who know that we are sinners.

Have you ever heard of any canonized saint who had a serious issue with anger, impatience, or sarcasm and who died in that condition?

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not that this is what they are known for but;

St. Nicolas was defrocked for hitting Arius.

St. De Montfort cleaned out a brothel by force.

St. Francis rebelled from his father.

St. Benedict used to get angry often.

St. Anthony would give a good tongue lashing.

St. Pio would give people a hard time about thier sins.

The examples could go on and on.

I doubt any one of those saints would fail to recognize the difference between sin and virtue though. They were still all humans.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,537.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not that this is what they are known for but;

St. Nicolas was defrocked for hitting Arius.

St. De Montfort cleaned out a brothel by force.

St. Francis rebelled from his father.

St. Benedict used to get angry often.

St. Anthony would give a good tongue lashing.

St. Pio would give people a hard time about thier sins.

The examples could go on and on.

I doubt any one of those saints would fail to recognize the difference between sin and virtue though. They were still all humans.

When we are all raised on the last day, I would not mind taking a poke at Arius my self!;)^_^

Oops, did I type that out loud?:blush::sorry:

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0
May 25, 2009
Brisbane
✟7,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
St Paul's letters in general have a lot of sarcasm.

I think all these emotions have their place, and can be glorifying to God as much as love and hope. I mean even Jesus seems impatient at times with the Apostles' and others' inability to understand what's going on. I think it's the heart (motives) that drive these emotions that determine whether they are glorifying to God or not... Jesus' impatience stems not from any personnal need for hurry, but from his desire to bring them into a truer understanding of God and his (and in extension their) mission.

Paul's sarcasm is often the stuff that he really wants people to understand.... "So do we keep on sinning so that grace will increase?" Of course he answers his own question (paraphrased) "Are you kidding!!!" but remember the letters were originally read allowed so the sarcastic question would hang in the air before he answers himself.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
St. Jerome had a way with words. Here's a good one from the saint:

"The Lord's servant and the Lord's Mother will have an equal portion of your canine eloquence" - St. Jerome

Most of the saints are remembered for some outstanding virtue or devotion which they practiced, but Jerome is frequently remembered for his bad temper! It is true that he had a very bad temper and could use a vitriolic pen, but his love for God and his Son Jesus Christ was extraordinarily intense; anyone who taught error was an enemy of God and truth, and St. Jerome went after him or her with his mighty and sometimes sarcastic pen.

St. Jerome - Saint of the Day - American Catholic

A pope is said to have remarked, on seeing a picture of Jerome striking his breast with a stone, "You do well to carry that stone, for without it the Church would never have canonized you"

he's the patron saint of my baptism

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. This is a very interesting thread and I think it helps to show that the saints were human just like us. :) Of course, they were holier than most of us but they were still human and still had their flaws just like we all do. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Jesus didnt hold back...that's for certain.
He wasnt trying to curry favor - which is why the Pharisees really dispised Him.

His comment about the dead burying the dead goes way beyond that. It was not directed to someone who was trying to kill him, but too a friend, a disciple even, someone that he loves and who loved him.

Just think for a moment of how monumentally cold that must have seemed.
What a thing to say to someone whose father had just passed on!

Just to contextualize, to compare to current threads, if I would have responded to people leaving here and others lamenting their passing with a 'good riddance', or worse, 'let the dead bury the dead', I think that most normal people would consider me to be mean and ill-mannered, to say the least. (not that I would ever do such a thing ;))

But go one further, you have a thread about your cousin here, that I avoided because I am not the best at offering comfort.
But if I would have responded the same way that Jesus did to you in that thread, or worse, if I would have responded in a similar thread about your mother, this would be monumentally, monstrously shocking. How could it not have hurt you to the very core of your being?

Even with hindsight, knowing that Jesus was embarking on the singularly most important even in history, and that all disciples really ought to be there, I daresay that the shock of these words to most Christians is hard to grasp. The sarcasm in the words, being said by the God of Love, has the power to rock our world and swallow up all our preconceived notions of what love is.

We can explain of course, but sometimes explanations just get in the way.

The truth is, life in the Spirit has its terrifyingly awesome, even awful aspects to it.

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saint Thomas More
"[Luther is a] person in whose pen there is nothing but calumnies, lies and deceptions; in whose spirit there is nothing but venom, bombast and ill will; who conceives nothing in his mind but folly, madness, and insanity; who has nothing in his mouth but privies, filth and dung .... But if he proceeds to play the buffoon in the manner in which he has begun, and to rave madly, if he proceeds to rage with calumny, to mouth trifling nonsense, to act like a raging madman, to make sport with buffoonery, and to carry nothing in his mouth but bilge-water, sewers, privies, filth and dung, then let others do what they will; we will take timely counsel, whether we wish to deal with the fellow thus ranting according to his virtue and to paint with his colors, or to leave this mad friarlet and privy-minded rascal with is ragings and ravings, with his filth and dung, . . . ."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.