Discussion Are there any prophets/prophetesses in the body of Christ currently?

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is in the Spirit-filled forum section. Any posts against the gifts of The Spirit or posts degrading church leaders in a demeaning way are prime candidates for reporting,.... your move.

To answer my own question,... I don't think so.

We have a great amount of folks that want each of us to accept their declaration of being a prophet on words alone,..... but no one who GOD operates in power through, from what I can tell.

To me, if it is based on words alone, that's not enough. Paul said "I shall know their power" and I have to agree. Our standard should be much higher for such a position, and it should be GOD witnessing through them in power.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is in the Spirit-filled forum section. Any posts against the gifts of The Spirit or posts degrading church leaders in a demeaning way are prime candidates for reporting,.... your move.

We have a great amount of folks that want each of us to accept their declaration of being a prophet on words alone,..... but no one who GOD operates in power through, from what I can tell.

To me, if it is based on words alone, that's not enough. Paul said "I shall know their power" and I have to agree. Our standard should be much higher for such a position, and it should be GOD witnessing through them in power.

There are many. I think going in looking for the error first.. oh you will find errors.. duh they are still in a fallen world and miss it. Just repent and keep going. There is no such thing as a prophet that never gets it wrong. Its written in the word..there are prophets, Apostles, preachers. Be like asking are there any preachers any more?

From your heart.. ask Him He will show you. Yeah.. many are not on the internet all the time. There are those that still talk to kings, queens, presidents even today. God opens all those doors.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Its written in the word..there are prophets, Apostles, preachers. Be like asking are there any preachers any more?

I think we should understand that this is a position from GOD that cannot be learned in a university. You don't take a few classes and receive a degree as a prophet. GOD will be the one qualifying you, and that could take quite a long time.

I view it as a very rare position in the body of Christ nowadays simply because it is not an easy position to attain to. Most folks don't really want to go through all the trials.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today is not like in the OT where they 'told' the future a lot.
Its like the NT says, for comfort exortation etc...
If an unbeliever enters the church and everyone is prophetizing the intentions of their hearts will be discovered... I have seen this a lot, they have told me things of my past i never told to anyone, and God will for the future too for my life, and they knew things of me better than even myself. Like some spiritual problems and characteristics and what not.

Really some ministers seem to have an 'x-ray vision' of your soul. Is that not enough prophet for you?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I don't think the office changed at all.

I think people changed. They want things immediately and can't wait. If they can't attain something in a short time, they give up and find something else to do. And I also think they can't deny themselves. They follow their hearts desires rather than seeking GOD's will to follow.

The office is second only to an apostle, it does more than just tell the future.

• Agree
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as a prophet that never gets it wrong.

Hello Blade.

I strongly disagree. A prophet who 'gets it wrong' is not a prophet.

Deuteronomy 18:21-22

Compare a true prophet with a false prophet here:

(1 Samuel 3:19) As Samuel grew up, the LORD was with him, and everything Samuel said proved to be reliable.

(Jeremiah 14: 14) Then the Lord said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds.

Please don't fall for deception.

God Bless You.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Its like the NT says, for comfort exortation etc...
If an unbeliever enters the church and everyone is prophetizing the intentions of their hearts will be discovered... I have seen this a lot, they have told me things of my past i never told to anyone, and God will for the future too for my life, and they knew things of me better than even myself. Like some spiritual problems and characteristics and what not.

Really some ministers seem to have an 'x-ray vision' of your soul. Is that not enough prophet for you?
I don't believe that any minister or anyone else has an Xray vision of anyone's heart or soul. That is a New Age occult notion.

I like the definition of Prophet who is some who has a God-given insight into the Scriptures and the extra-ordinary wisdom to apply them. I don't include prediction of the future because there was nothing like that widespread in the New Testament.

Also, the failure of modern day "prophets" to predict Covid, the defeat of Donald Trump, and the storming of the Capitol building destroyed the credibility of modern day predictive "prophets for the nation", totally muddying the waters of what the prophet office should be in these days.

In fact, there is absolutely no evidence that any modern day prophet actually predicted the world events that occurred in the last couple of years. You would think that if these "prophets" were hearing from God, they would have been able to tell us in advance of these events happened. None of them have, so this puts the modern-day prophet office in reasonable doubt.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that any minister or anyone else has an Xray vision of anyone's heart or soul. That is a New Age occult notion.

I like the definition of Prophet who is some who has a God-given insight into the Scriptures and the extra-ordinary wisdom to apply them. I don't include prediction of the future because there was nothing like that widespread in the New Testament.

Also, the failure of modern day "prophets" to predict Covid, the defeat of Donald Trump, and the storming of the Capitol building destroyed the credibility of modern day predictive "prophets for the nation", totally muddying the waters of what the prophet office should be in these days.

In fact, there is absolutely no evidence that any modern day prophet actually predicted the world events that occurred in the last couple of years. You would think that if these "prophets" were hearing from God, they would have been able to tell us in advance of these events happened. None of them have, so this puts the modern-day prophet office in reasonable doubt.

Its just an expression i used, actually its like the bible says, 'the thoughts of his heart will be shown' and prophecy is for confort, exortation, etc, speaking about if everyone is prophetizing. And a prophet/minister can know what spiritual issues you may have and some things about a person. Thats why i used that expression, because sometimes is impressive the discerment some ministers have.

I hope you don't go to the 'God can't do this stuff' 'it must be from the devil' path.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Its just an expression i used, actually its like the bible says, 'the thoughts of his heart will be shown' and prophecy is for confort, exortation, etc, speaking about if everyone is prophetizing. And a prophet/minister can know what spiritual issues you may have and some things about a person. Thats why i used that expression, because sometimes is impressive the discerment some ministers have.

I hope you don't go to the 'God can't do this stuff' 'it must be from the devil' path.
I adhere to the sovereignty of God in that He does what He wants to do. I know what Paul said about the power of prophecy, but in my 12 years in the Pentecostal movement, witnessing hundreds of prophecies, I never saw anyone's heart being made manifest and them falling down before God. So it seems to me that modern prophecy doesn't seem to have the same power as that described by Paul. Instead, what I witnessed were generalized "feel good" prophecies with nothing about them that would cause an unbeliever or anyone else falling down before God having the secrets of their hearts revealed.

Of course, the Prophets "of the nation" have been exposed as totally false as getting it wrong over Trump's predicted re-election, failure to predict Covid, Californian wildfires, riot at the Capitol building, the destruction of the Two Towers on 9/11. So that whole side of the prophetic ministry is totally discredited.

So, I don't think we've got it quite there with modern prophetic.

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I adhere to the sovereignty of God in that He does what He wants to do. I know what Paul said about the power of prophecy, but in my 12 years in the Pentecostal movement, witnessing hundreds of prophecies, I never saw anyone's heart being made manifest and them falling down before God. So it seems to me that modern prophecy doesn't seem to have the same power as that described by Paul. Instead, what I witnessed were generalized "feel good" prophecies with nothing about them that would cause an unbeliever or anyone else falling down before God having the secrets of their hearts revealed.

Of course, the Prophets "of the nation" have been exposed as totally false as getting it wrong over Trump's predicted re-election, failure to predict Covid, Californian wildfires, riot at the Capitol building, the destruction of the Two Towers on 9/11. So that whole side of the prophetic ministry is totally discredited.

So, I don't think we've got it quite there with modern prophetic.

There were ministers that told me stuff they coudln't possible have known, even from my past that nobody knew, and spiritual things of my heart and spiritual problems etc. Very specific things about me, nothing generic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There were ministers that told me stuff they coudln't possible have known, even from my past that nobody knew, and spiritual things of my heart and spiritual problems etc. Very specific things about me, nothing generic.

Yes, when that happens it's amazing and can be life changing, something you remember for life. I remember a Chinese believer I did not know gave me a specific personal prophecy about 15 years ago that was true and personal- unknown to anyone else.

I was also picked out of the crowd in an AOG meeting about the same time and given a false prophecy.

Perhaps it's like dynamite- handle with care.

:)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, when that happens it's amazing and can be life changing, something you remember for life. I remember a Chinese believer I did not know gave me a specific personal prophecy about 15 years ago that was true and personal- unknown to anyone else.

I was also picked out of the crowd in an AOG meeting about the same time and given a false prophecy.

Perhaps it's like dynamite- handle with care.

:)
After over 50 years of involvement in the prophetic during my first 12 years in the Pentecostal movement, and associated with a prophetic ministry in subsequent years, and during that time given quite a number of prophecies, including many on this forum when the prophetic forum was operating, now, because of the muddying of the prophetic waters through the Faith movement false prophecies and the widespread misuse of the prophetic in other Pentecostal and Charismatic environments, I have decided not to give any further prophetic words unless I know beyond a single doubt that the word I have to give comes absolutely from the Holy Spirit.

"Stepping out in faith" on the basis of a mental impression is not good enough for me. I think the Lord would have to literally push me into giving a word for me to have the confidence that I would be giving a true prophecy.

I like Calvin's definition of the role of the Prophet in his commentary on 1 Corinthians 12. He says that the Prophet has the ability to interpret Scripture in a very special way and has God-given wisdom to be able to apply it.

I wince at the thought of the number of prophecies I have given out of my own head, thinking I have been speaking in faith. I may well have spoken in presumption. Because of that, I have decided to repent of giving words without knowing absolutely that it is the Holy Spirit who is inspiring me to speak prophetically.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That supports a conclusion I had reached sometime ago. No wonder most everybody else's responses are viewed as wrong/inaccurate.

Wonder how Calvin's definition works In Isa 30:10, the seers were told not to see and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things.... Same as today.

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, God declares, that I will pour out of My Spirit upon all mankind, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy [telling forth the divine counsels] and your young men shall see visions (divinely granted appearances), and your old men shall dream [divinely suggested] dreams" Acts 2:17

"But Moses said to him, Are you envious or jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!" Num 11:29

Know that not every believer who gives a prophesy is a prophet. But "For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted." I Cor 14:31

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Stepping out in faith" on the basis of a mental impression is not good enough for me. I think the Lord would have to literally push me into giving a word for me to have the confidence that I would be giving a true prophecy.

Hi Oscarr,

I think oftentimes a believer can give another believer a word of encouragement, a word of wisdom from their own mind and it can be excellent e.g :
Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.

Not necessarily foolproof but generally useful.

But I would agree that if someone were to give a word they say is directly from God, it is an exponentially higher standard. As soon as God is directly involved infallibility attaches.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

The requirement of power is not a universal requirement to be considered a prophet.
There were many prophets in the OT that exhibited no 'power' or miracles.

To insist such a definition for NT prophets is putting a road block on the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The requirement of power is not a universal requirement to be considered a prophet.
There were many prophets in the OT that exhibited no 'power' or miracles.

To insist such a definition for NT prophets is putting a road block on the Holy Spirit.

Well you see, it was what Paul required, why shouldn't it be our requirement also? We follow The Holy Spirit's teachings through Paul on everything else, why not on this also?

Francis, it's too easy for anyone to just make a claim to be a prophet (one of the highest offices from our Lord), and babble some sort of half truth about future events and people believe them. People are way too easily manipulated this way anymore, and they need to raise their standard.

During the time of His ministry, Jesus was known as a prophet because of the powerful things happening through Him. All the religious leaders of the day knew He was a prophet. I don't see why we shouldn't expect the same sort of anointing and power from The Holy Spirit happening through those folks also who make such claims. It would certainly weed out the frauds.

• Agree
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Well you see, it was what Paul required, why shouldn't it be our requirement also? We follow The Holy Spirit's teachings through Paul on everything else, why not on this also?
What scripture are you referring to, as I can't see it.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[...] but in my 12 years in the Pentecostal movement, witnessing hundreds of prophecies, I never saw anyone's heart being made manifest and them falling down before God [...]

I haven't seen examples of that in English speaking gatherings either, but there are videos of exactly what you are talking about in Hispanic Pentecostal gatherings. See for example this, this and this.

Oh wait, I just remembered a powerful "word of knowledge" testimony in English. Check this out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wince at the thought of the number of prophecies I have given out of my own head, thinking I have been speaking in faith. I may well have spoken in presumption. Because of that, I have decided to repent of giving words without knowing absolutely that it is the Holy Spirit who is inspiring me to speak prophetically.

How do you make sure that it is in fact the Holy Spirit who is inspiring you?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't seen examples of that in English speaking gatherings either, but there are videos of exactly what you are talking about in Hispanic Pentecostal gatherings. See for example this, this and this.

Oh wait, I just remembered a powerful "word of knowledge" testimony in English. Check this out.
With the foreign language clips it would be hard to know what is actually being said to be able to know the content of the prophetic words, so, I give the benefit of the doubt for those ones.

However, I am impressed by the last clip where the guy got a word of knowledge from the pastor and it was totally accurate about something the pastor could not have known about. Also, the guy was honouring God and talking about Jesus dying on the Cross for us, thereby honouring the Gospel of Christ. Also, his attitude in giving the account shows it was a life-changing even for him. That ticks all the necessary boxes for me!

Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0