Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I was saved at a Vineyard Christian Fellowship branch in the Columbus, Ohio area. It has been my favorite church ever since. So when I moved to Gainesville, I thought the church I join is a no-brainer: its Vineyard branch.

Well, that idea lasted until my sister and BIL decided to do what VCF calls a baby dedication. It is bringing children up in front of the stage, where the pastor says something I could not hear. The concept is parents publicly promise they will lead their children to Jesus. When I was there it was the opposite of what I am used to: a multipurpose room with children's art on the walls, folding chairs, and nothing covering the concrete. Despite its small size, it has unnecessary big bass speakers that make the music too loud during worship . . but they aren't used by pastors. I could not hear most of what the pastor said in the second row. Needless to say, I never went back.

Not surprisingly, none of the churches near me are non-donominational. I do not belong to any specific denomination within Protestant Christianity. The chosest churches to me are Lutheran, Baptist, and Presbyterian. So what I need is an Internet version of a Protestant church closest to VCF in its belief system. Is this possible? What do you recommend?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gosh, CjC, turning to a television ministry should be a last resort IMHO, so maybe you could search more closely to see if there is not some congregation near enough to you that you could make it your home church. It shouldn't be hard to find something better than the loudspeakers and community room stuff that turned you off, I'm thinking!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I recommend going to a real church. The internet is not the same, but it might suffice until you find something.

So Vineyard is a good church? I found their music recently and love it!

One of the reasons I love VCF is their music. Interestingl,y the reason they have a band is you never hear organ music on the radio, etc. I have a CD and good memories of singing worship songs. One reason I do not like traditional churches as much as VCF is the difficulty reading hymn books. Vineyard churches have big screens like the pull-down ones in classrooms that show only one stanza at a time, so worshippers do not get confused about which line to sing. I always had that problem at a Methodist church my mom went to.

VCF believes baptism is a public display of one's salvation, not a requirement to be saved. I decided to do it because I was baptized as a baby and that did nothing to help me believe in God.

• Friendly
Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

Nadodad

Mar 24, 2019
Coronado
✟7,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been to a few VCF churches in the San Diego area. It was a big change from the traditional churches I went to back east. It didn't take long to get used to it. I currently go to a church that has the same format called The Rock Church in San Diego. It was founded by Miles McPherson who is an ex-NFL player and a very dynamic teacher. The music is like being at a concert for sure yet very worshipful. While it is best to be around other like minded Christians as much as possible, you can go to www.sdrock.com to check some of their services until you find a church. On Sundays they live stream the services and everything is also archived.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Great news! I really had what I wanted all along: message videos on the Vineyard Columbus website. The sermons are archived, but the most recent one is on their homepage. It is like Dorothy from Wizard of Oz being told she could have gone home anytime after Toto jumped out of a hot air balloon.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why not try one of the other churches? Most people in them probably don't come from their denomination, and have no particular commitment to it. They attend because they fit well with the congregation.

You will likely see some differences: the Vineyard churches are considered borderline Pentecostal, which the others aren't. Baptists are probably the closest. Lutheran and Presbyterian vary. It will depend upon which specific denomination within those families and also on the specific local church.

Upvote 0