Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife and I are very happy and still very much in love after 27 years...

We also have concerns with kids, but overall they're on the right (Godly) track.

It hasn't been perfect, but we have come together during hard times, rather than coming apart. God has blessed us greatly, and still does!

I was hesitant to get married because I had seen so much unhappiness, including my parents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I are very happy, only two years married so far. But I can say that compared to my last marriage we are doing great and very happy.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From a posting to "Singles only" ...
Yeah, I saw that post in the "Single Only" forum....kind of an odd place to ask about happy marriages....

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I saw that post in the "Single Only" forum....kind of an odd place to ask about happy marriages....

The original post in "Singles Only" ...

Are there any happy marriages? Being single I am beginning to doubt that there are. Most marriages end in divorce. and I am seeing more and more on here women posting about being in unhappy marriages and the husband is controlling and abusive. (This is not at anyone in particular I am just stating what I've noticed.) Or one spouse is miserable for one reason or another.

If that is what a Christian marriage is supposed to look like…then why marry?

Then again, I don't know what a healthy marriage looks like as my parents were divorced, and I always saw it as constant fighting. I honestly can't remember a time when my parents were happy together. My Dad could be verbally/emotionally abusive and controlling.

Are there marriages where a woman is married to a Christian man who is not abusive? Are there Christian marriages where a woman feels she has a say in her marriage and is treated like an equal?

I was going to post this in the Questions from Singles about Marriage section, but was not able to.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were friends first, ... and that friendship eventually developed into romance.

I think that young people today need good examples of successful marriage. Marriage partners need to be willing to live sacrificially for one another (in other words, it's not about ME, it's about US). It takes a while for people to get to that point today. I wouldn't be in a rush, if it was me.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, married for 6 years and we are very happy . My husband is a christian man and is not abusive or controlling in any way. He's wonderful

I agree that people need to know and see examples of good marriages. You learn what you have grown up with and if that was not good then it is hard to believe good exists. I grew up with amazing parents in a happy marriage; I knew it was possible when you find the right person. The good news is if you have been surrounded by bad examples then you can learn to do better in your own relationships.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A very happy marriage here! Started dating in 2006, got married in 2011, and we are celebrating 7 years in July. I married my best friend and love spending (almost) every single day with him :) He's kind and caring... affectionate and takes care of me. No regrets about marrying him.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Happiness is an emotion that comes and goes like the wind. Whether a person is single or married, they can be happy at times. Whether a person is experiencing the emotion of happiness more frequently married as opposed to being single, really depends on any number of variables. I have told myself and my wife, that marriage is not all about happiness as many give the impression. Marriage is not all about an emotion that comes and goes like the wind. If marriage were based on emotions, it too would come and go like the wind. I think it is a common problem with people, getting carried away in their emotions, so as to be governed by them, rather than the Spirit of God. Stability and contentment is found in none but Christ alone. Enjoy the happy times while they last, but life is full of seasons, and we have to learn to take the good with bad, and persevere through unhappy times.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Happiness is an emotion that comes and goes like the wind. Whether a person is single or married, they can be happy at times.

I think most married couples know this.
If "happiness" is inherently transient, what word would better describe a stable, positive, affirming marriage?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Marriage is hard work. Loneliness is a sad life. You have to pick your outcome in all circumstances.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think most married couples know this.

I do not know, only know that I could not tell you how many times I have heard someone say or recommend divorce, because one person or both are not happy (at the time).

If "happiness" is inherently transient, what word would better describe a stable, positive, affirming marriage?

Good and healthy come to mind. Happiness seems closer to joy, but maybe it's all in the mind.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"loving and caring"

we were married 6 mos from our first date so I think we we really spent our first years getting to know each other
don't think marriage is always easy but when one gets married in the church, you're committed, and work things out always
we didn't become parents right away and now that we are, feel that I love him more today than before parenthood because he is such a great dad

I actually don't think a spouse is responsible for the other person's happiness
every person is about as happy as they make up their minds to be
but if you love someone and want to share your lives together, you are caring and kind towards them, and want the best for them

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have been married with only one wife for 25 years. Loving some one is a choice not a momentary feeling.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I too am often taken aback by the many posts about finding good mates and marriage life which excludes answers from people who are married and have found good mates.....

Upvote 0