Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The person is not being a friend, then. S/he needs friendship, maybe, but it's not a friendly act to denigrate the source of living waters but more like poisoning a well in the desert.
I have been depressed for days... I was told that I have a spirit of strife since I don't want to accept this truth about the Bible... and that I couldn't be more godly unless I looked deeper into things and tried to look into apologetics... which is not my thing at all. I just want to grow to be a godly wife and mom, I don't want to dig into such topics too much, to be honest.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been depressed for days... I was told that I have a spirit of strife since I don't want to accept this truth about the Bible... and that I couldn't be more godly unless I looked deeper into things and tried to look into apologetics... which is not my thing at all. I just want to grow to be a godly wife and mom, I don't want to dig into such topics too much, to be honest.
My wife and I pray and read the Bible together every day by His grace. Hebrews 11 keeps mentioning a great exemplary principle: 'By faith...'; by faith...'; 'by faith...'...

Maybe the person who is annoying you can be occasionally talked to, for the sake of keeping open a channel of testimony; but otherwise s/he needs to be out of your life.

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I pray and read the Bible together every day by His grace. Hebrews 11 keeps mentioning a great exemplary principle: 'By faith...'; by faith...'; 'by faith...'...

Maybe the person who is annoying you can be occasionally talked to, for the sake of keeping open a channel of testimony; but otherwise s/he needs to be out of your life.
She is currently going through a divorce, so I don't want to be arguimentitive in any way. But she msgs me every other day and if I reply it's a battle... if I ignore its rude. I have no idea what to do. I told her that this debate is not edifying or God glorying because we will end up arguing since she doesn't want me to believe what I believe and wants me to say "yes, you are right, there are so many errors in the Bible." And I will not say that... she started reading the Bible now and she even tried to convince me that divorce is a sin, no matter what. Even in the case of adultery... She said that Scripture is twisted and that in the original text, Jesus never said "except for adultery" rather, He said "even if in adultery" do not divorce. I am questioning if we are wrong or her, sometimes...

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She is currently going through a divorce, so I don't want to be arguimentitive in any way. But she msgs me every other day and if I reply it's a battle... if I ignore its rude. I have no idea what to do. I told her that this debate is not edifying or God glorying because we will end up arguing since she doesn't want me to believe what I believe and wants me to say "yes, you are right, there are so many errors in the Bible." And I will not say that... she started reading the Bible now and she even tried to convince me that divorce is a sin, no matter what. Even in the case of adultery... She said that Scripture is twisted and that in the original text, Jesus never said "except for adultery" rather, He said "even if in adultery" do not divorce. I am questioning if we are wrong or her, sometimes...
1 Cor. 7 and Romans 7 are other passages. She evidently needs friendship and prayer; but you are absolutely right to draw away from strife.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for explaining this. I agree 100% with you, but a friend of mine has been trying to convince me that the Bible is full of errors... I am not confused at all, just wanted to ask others about this. I'm thankful to God for using godly believers that have answered me on this topic. I am definitely at peace again! Blessings to you!
There are those things I mentioned and then we have what fall into "apparent contradictions." Usually the naysayers aren't aware that Solomon had 40,000 and then 4,000 of the same thing... they generally pull things from the NT that might be referenced in the OT and try to have their "aha" moment from that. But I have yet, in 22 years of walking with the Lord, had anyone come up with something I can't reconcile. If you gives you something you can't answer, feel free to drop me a message.

And remember, try not to argue "facts" with him. God draws a man unto Himself (John 6:44) and until your friend begins to seek, he won't find no matter how hard you try. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand and believe the Bible is God-Breathed, however over all the years, has there been any errors in the Bible, due to translation or any other reasons?
Yes, but few and only minor. This was revealed with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The biggest problem people have is not that the bible is in error, but that their translation/interpretation is in error. And to be clear, all "translations" from the original language are "interpretations".

It's why the bible is great for instruction, ect. and even makes that claim, but a relationship with Christ is the first, and most important LASTING step.

Upvote 0

Myychael

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
✟79,084.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
+as far as the Easter being wrong other than Passover Easter would I believe be correct because they were at that time in the seven days of unleavened bread which is after Passover the Theologains argue this all the time they I guess are a necessary lot some liberal some conservative I don’t put much stock in them although I have read some of their documents.
Hi; there are two different processes: God originally inspiring the text and God graciously preserving His Word in the totality of the manuscripts and textual fragments.

Well I agree in process are the same because GOD`S word is his word written or spoken or as JESUS the WORD the living walking active Word
All are in agreement all are Spirit all are Earthly you see GOD looks after his word there may be bad
Translations but also true and pure ones that’s why we have the Holy Spirit and I also understand
About the processes you mentioned are true let’s look at Adam for instance in Gen God says everything
Created is good gets Eve bone of his bone and walks with GOD in the evening and then goes and
Messes it up remember the tablets the ten comm GOD wrote with his finger the first Moses broke them
And went back up and he Moses had to write them man can screw up most anything but GOD will
Preserve his word in his way written or oral it will not return void spoken or written.I hope I’m saying this in understanding the textual fragments and the manuscripts were preserved at the beginning at the
Foundation of the world if he new me he new what he was going to do with the manuscripts and fragments that’s why almost every language has a Bible written to GODS purpose

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand and believe the Bible is God-Breathed, however over all the years, has there been any errors in the Bible, due to translation or any other reasons?
If you perceive errors in the Bible (you'll have to explain, really what you mean by errors in the Bible), one thing to do is to check your own antenna to see if you're not the obstacle. I believe the Bible is accurate, and that where there seems to be discrepancies (rather than errors), the problem is either in translation, or just the difference of this time versus that time. Think how differently teens today speak than adults, and even young adults vs. older adults.
I believe, on another topic, that Donald Trump has told no substantive lies, while some believe he's told at least 3 every day. I don't believe that his perception of the crowd on inauguration day is a lie, just that it's different from what really was there.
So is the discrepancy in the Bible really substantial or is it just a perception?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Which Bible? There are many translations and they use different ancient texts. I do feel that if a truly Spirit filled group of translators set out to present a good Bible that they won't miss by much.

As far as errors go, I also fill that scripture is exactly as God intended it to be.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
but a friend of mine has been trying to convince me that the Bible is full of errors...
It really depends on where your friend's going with that statement. Textual criticism, like the Dan Wallace video posted by someone earlier, deals with errors 'Of textual transmission.' It basically addresses the question of is what they originally wrote still what we now have? A 'Variant' is an error. If 1 document says "Christ Jesus" and a 2nd document says "Jesus Christ" we have an 'Error.'

Textual criticism is a great field for what it is, but it is not the field for determining if the documents actually told the truth (just if they honor the original composition). There are a host of other unrelated analytical questions you bring to the table for determining accuracy as to whether these ancient documents told the truth. I'd be willing to bet money that the errors your friend has in mind are loaded with false assumptions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Which Bible? There are many translations and they use different ancient texts. I do feel that if a truly Spirit filled group of translators set out to present a good Bible that they won't miss by much.

As far as errors go, I also fill that scripture is exactly as God intended it to be.
I read the John MacArthur Study Bible (ESV)

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the John MacArthur Study Bible (ESV)
John MacArthur has the reputation of being basically a reliable Bible teacher; it's good to remember that the actual Scripture passage is inspired by God, not the notes.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello, I recommend this lecture on why there are differences in the Gospels:

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

Ματθαίος

Nov 6, 2017
Καναδάς
✟19,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, there are very many errors, inconsistencies and contradictions in the Bible. So what? God is perfect. The Bible is a human product and isn't perfect. It can't be.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Your inclinations are the inclinations of a person who has better faith than I do. I actually have gotten so involved in the technical arguments because my faith was low and I needed to constantly answer more parts of the riddle.

Apologetics will always be best for the person reading it, not as a weapon to run people over with and convert everyone (trust me that doesn't work). So if someone is telling you that you need apologetics even though you are strong in faith and strive to LIVE like a Christian I would take their advice with a grain of salt. It's true that it's always good know the intellectual foundation of your faith, but you are successful at the more difficult of the 2, living it, you have me beat.

Also, for all the technical arguments that I seem to be in love with, I will admit that inner personal experiences have been the more powerful proof for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is a blind reply. (Sorry!)

Wasn't God's Word attacked since Genesis? Since the very beginning of Adam and Eve?
I'm sure the Bible, in its various translations, has human "errors" in it on surface level.

Here's the thing about what I've learned how to read the Bible: I had to ask to recieve.
Luke 11:9 and sometimes I had to ask several times, but I had faith He would answer.
And He did!

Anyone can read the Bible in any translation to gain a deceived and distorted notion without God. John 15:5
Anyone who asks God with an open and honest heart to gain His truth and not be deceived will be given to him/her.
No one can read the Bible and have both knowledge and understanding (wisdom). Without God in reading His Word is impossible to gain wisdom because that it His. Wisdom comes from God. Proverbs 2:6-8

It wouldn't matter what "translation" one would read as long as the Holy Spirit is your guide, comforter, advocate along the way. Trust in Him, not man.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Psalm 118:8 (It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.)

I asked God what translation I should read. Why? Because when I gave Him my life at the full (not half way), I no longer trusted even myself. I still don't because of Spirit vs flesh. Galatians 5:16-26 God knows what's best for me and I want my best from Him. He sent me the KJV Bible because I would best understand those words and what He means. I've noticed a serious problem among us that when we use certain translations to explain something on forums, the meaning gets lost because of that "translation" being used. No matter what, His Word is always under attack whether we see it or not.

Anyway, I'm sorry for being long winded. I hope this helps and encourages you to trust God over what anyone says. Even me. :yellowheart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian this is what we should be mindful of:
2 Timothy 3:

14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

• Winner
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your inclinations are the inclinations of a person who has better faith than I do. I actually have gotten so involved in the technical arguments because my faith was low and I needed to constantly answer more parts of the riddle.

Apologetics will always be best for the person reading it, not as a weapon to run people over with and convert everyone (trust me that doesn't work). So if someone is telling you that you need apologetics even though you are strong in faith and strive to LIVE like a Christian I would take their advice with a grain of salt. It's true that it's always good know the intellectual foundation of your faith, but you are successful at the more difficult of the 2, living it, you have me beat.

Also, for all the technical arguments that I seem to be in love with, I will admit that inner personal experiences have been the more powerful proof for me.
We also need to learn to accept humbly: 'Thus saith the Lord', as it seems @coffeeandprayer seems to have done.

Upvote 0

coffeeandprayer

Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
✟49,837.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

This is a blind reply. (Sorry!)

Wasn't God's Word attacked since Genesis? Since the very beginning of Adam and Eve?
I'm sure the Bible, in its various translations, has human "errors" in it on surface level.

Here's the thing about what I've learned how to read the Bible: I had to ask to recieve.
Luke 11:9 and sometimes I had to ask several times, but I had faith He would answer.
And He did!

Anyone can read the Bible in any translation to gain a deceived and distorted notion without God. John 15:5
Anyone who asks God with an open and honest heart to gain His truth and not be deceived will be given to him/her.
No one can read the Bible and have both knowledge and understanding (wisdom). Without God in reading His Word is impossible to gain wisdom because that it His. Wisdom comes from God. Proverbs 2:6-8

It wouldn't matter what "translation" one would read as long as the Holy Spirit is your guide, comforter, advocate along the way. Trust in Him, not man.
Proverbs 3:5-6 Psalm 118:8 (It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.)

I asked God what translation I should read. Why? Because when I gave Him my life at the full (not half way), I no longer trusted even myself. I still don't because of Spirit vs flesh. Galatians 5:16-26 God knows what's best for me and I want my best from Him. He sent me the KJV Bible because I would best understand those words and what He means. I've noticed a serious problem among us that when we use certain translations to explain something on forums, the meaning gets lost because of that "translation" being used. No matter what, His Word is always under attack whether we see it or not.

Anyway, I'm sorry for being long winded. I hope this helps and encourages you to trust God over what anyone says. Even me. :yellowheart:
Thank you for taking the time to answer! God bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0