• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Are there any Eastern Orthodox Churches in America that have Divine Liturgies during the week days ?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jude1:3Contendforthefaith, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith I'm Currently An Eastern Orthodox Catechumen Supporter

+1,278
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Are there any Eastern Orthodox Churches in America that have Divine Liturgies during the week days like Roman Catholic Churches have mass during the week days ?

That would be great to have during the week days.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    check out monasteries. St Tikhon's Monastery does the full cycle every day.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+491
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Some of the Cathedrals hold a Divine Liturgy during the week if you're near one of the larger cities in the US.

4. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,320
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Every day? Outside monasteries, very unlikely, especially if the priest is married.

Major feasts? Definitely.

• List
  5. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+523
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single

My former Coptic OO church of my previous hometown could come close to that. Not a daily service unless we you were in Holy Week. But often a saintly feast day Divine liturgy in the morning or night (Tuesday-Friday) for each saint recognized in the Sinaxerion, or each milestone season of the general Church calendar relating to Christ's life, a Wednesday Bible study and Vespers, and of course a raising of incense vespers for early Saturday evening, with the typical Sunday divine liturgy etc. with fellowship and other special events sometimes scheduled for Sunday evening.

I think a lot of this sort of thing depends on the local church. A number of EO priests don't have congregations large enough that completely support them having to work a secular job etc. besides family duties. While the Copts are blessed that they often have pretty good numbers of dedicated church folk and having a full time priest is usually viable unless it is a mission church in a new area.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • List
  6. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,142
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I have seen in larger parishes (with several priests) that they sometimes celebrate many Saints so that it seems they usually have several weekday Liturgies each week. But more often I see only major feast days and the most important Saints to a particular community/jurisdiction.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Andrei D

Andrei D Active Member

+372
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I wish, but I couldn't attend :(

I almost never have a weekday morning off and I work 1/3rd of Sundays as is, so... :/

What I miss most is not even the services but the fact that many / most churches were open at all times back home. Just the fact that you'd be on a bus, say random afternoon or evening, and you'd have an impulse to jump off go in the church, light a candle, pray a few minutes, go back on you way... it's ... I just miss it.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+869
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    We have Tuesday and Thursday Divine Liturgies most weeks, and if a Feast Day falls on a weekday that is when we observe it. But we have just one priest, so Divine Liturgy every day isn’t practical.

• List
  9. ArmyMatt

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I know some too, if they can't do Liturgy, will have Matins and Vespers throughout the week.

• List
  10. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+869
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yes, I think the cathedral here has Vespers every day.

11. ArmyMatt

+11,067
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yeah, I know alternating between vespers and matins is another common thing to do.

12. gzt

gzt The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years

+1,544
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Some weekdays: happens in some places, I used to be at a parish which had a regular liturgy on one of the weekdays at 6:30am. Doing things *daily*, though, gets to be a bit much of a demand on everybody. Population density, celibate clergy, and easier liturgics contributed to making daily mass a common thing for Catholics.

• List