Are there any Eastern Orthodox Churches in America that have Divine Liturgies during the week days ?

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟529,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are there any Eastern Orthodox Churches in America that have Divine Liturgies during the week days like Roman Catholic Churches have mass during the week days ?

That would be great to have during the week days.

Last edited:

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there any Eastern Orthodox Churches in America that have Divine Liturgies during the week days like Roman Catholic Churches have mass during the week days ?

That would be great to have during the week days.

My former Coptic OO church of my previous hometown could come close to that. Not a daily service unless we you were in Holy Week. But often a saintly feast day Divine liturgy in the morning or night (Tuesday-Friday) for each saint recognized in the Sinaxerion, or each milestone season of the general Church calendar relating to Christ's life, a Wednesday Bible study and Vespers, and of course a raising of incense vespers for early Saturday evening, with the typical Sunday divine liturgy etc. with fellowship and other special events sometimes scheduled for Sunday evening.

I think a lot of this sort of thing depends on the local church. A number of EO priests don't have congregations large enough that completely support them having to work a secular job etc. besides family duties. While the Copts are blessed that they often have pretty good numbers of dedicated church folk and having a full time priest is usually viable unless it is a mission church in a new area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have seen in larger parishes (with several priests) that they sometimes celebrate many Saints so that it seems they usually have several weekday Liturgies each week. But more often I see only major feast days and the most important Saints to a particular community/jurisdiction.

Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wish, but I couldn't attend :(

I almost never have a weekday morning off and I work 1/3rd of Sundays as is, so... :/

What I miss most is not even the services but the fact that many / most churches were open at all times back home. Just the fact that you'd be on a bus, say random afternoon or evening, and you'd have an impulse to jump off go in the church, light a candle, pray a few minutes, go back on you way... it's ... I just miss it.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We have Tuesday and Thursday Divine Liturgies most weeks, and if a Feast Day falls on a weekday that is when we observe it. But we have just one priest, so Divine Liturgy every day isn’t practical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Some weekdays: happens in some places, I used to be at a parish which had a regular liturgy on one of the weekdays at 6:30am. Doing things *daily*, though, gets to be a bit much of a demand on everybody. Population density, celibate clergy, and easier liturgics contributed to making daily mass a common thing for Catholics.

Upvote 0