Are there any Christmas Markets in the places where you live?

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christmas is getting nearer and nearer.
This Sunday will be the First Advent Sunday, traditionally the date, when Christmas Markets are opening.

Are there any Christmas Markets in the places where you live?
Or rather: Will there be from the 27th of November 2022 on?

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We have a number of Christmas markets in our local area.
There are some small markets taking place in Lichfield and Wolverhampton that always look rather jolly.
I try to avoid heading into Birmingham this time at year because their Christmas market is far too big and crowded and everything is so expensive.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As it happens:

This morning I am reading in our local paper that the Christmas Market in town has been officicially declared open yesterday.
I am sure that I will go there sometime these days.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Christmas Market in Strasbourg is named Christkindelsmärik.

Strasbourg has been holding Christkindelsmärik around its cathedral since 1570, making it one of the oldest Christmas markets in Europe.[1] The name "Christkindelsmärik" is of Alsatian origin, a low Alemannic German dialect which was the mainly spoken language in the Alsace until the 20th century. In many parts of south Germany and Austria christmas markets (German: Weihnachtsmärkte) are also called Christkind(e)l(s)markt (the spelling depends on the local dialect).

Christkindelsmärik is exactly the same word as on the other side of the River Rhine in my home region.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Fun-Question:
What do Beaujolais Nouveau and Christmas Markets and Glühwein have in common?

Answer: There are lots of people who do not know anything about them.
Have never tried Glühwein or Beaujolais Nouveau, never ever visited a Christmas Market.
But they know for sure that all those three things are terrible!

Important note: I am not referring here to anybody in this forum, but to some persons in Germany.
That way they think that they show themselves as experts or "connaisseurs".
Something they clearly are NOT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the closest is maybe about 200 miles / 320 km away.
That is quite far.
Here these Markets are in every town and also in villages of some size.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
May I quote from an E-Mail for English-speaking expats that reached me today:

A Christmas Market Primer

Christmas is a magical time in Germany. Just about every town stages some sort of Christmas market — some for just a weekend, some for the whole Christmas season.
There are many names for these markets, so keep an eye out: Nikolausmarkt, Weihnachtsmarkt, Christkindlesmarkt, Adventsmarkt, Sternlesmarkt.

If you are looking to do serious shopping, go during the day or during the week when it is less crowded. To feel the great atmosphere, you have to go in the evening when the booths are lit up. Stroll with a Glühwein (mulled wine) or Kinderpunsch (warm, sweet drink without alcohol meant for children) and enjoy.

The larger markets are a mixture of commercial products and local handmade goods. The smaller markets, which are just on weekends, are often an opportunity for choirs, sports groups and various clubs to earn some extra money. Special markets with high quality handmade goods are often on weekends only.

If you buy food or beverages at the markets, the price may be higher than anticipated — this is because there is a deposit on mugs, glasses, plates and silverware. Germans use the real thing and wash up rather than use paper plates etc., although this is changing. After enjoying your Glühwein or Sauerkraut, take the utensils back to the booth for a refund (Pfandrückgabe). Some people keep their Glühwein cups as a souvenir – especially those with a date and city name printed on them.

As with any crowded area in the city, watch out for pickpockets. Keep your purse/wallet close to you - especially after a Glühwein or two. This is especially important when getting on and off trams/trains and throughout the markets. Prevention is better than going through the hassle of cancelling all your credit cards and getting new ID cards.

If it's cold out, remember to wear warm socks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i've always been intrested in the subject of Christmas markets in other countries because we do not have them in the U.S. it does sound like fun
We do have Christmas stores though. There’s a little town not far from here that has a two or three restaurants and a bunch of small shops filled with Crafted items and other kinds of items. They also have a Christmas store that sells ornaments and other Christmas goodies.
And another town That has the same type of thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0