Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. I could note some differences, but that probably wouldn't be effective now. Still, the other part of my post remains. I don't see any positive affirmations of tattoos in the Bible - only negative.

I don't see how this justifies it. Replace what you said with "anything", i.e. I can do anything I want as long as there is a desire to glorify God (1 Cor 10:23).

Suppose there were a law where you live prohibiting signs from being too large or elevated too high (such ordinances do exist). Would you say it's OK to put up a billboard of John 3:16 because it glorifies God? Would you say you are justified in some civil disobedience? Or would it be a better witness to submit to the authorities? ... even though a billboard isn't really going to do major damage?

If you're in a Christian community that frowns on marking the body, would it be better to submit or to proclaim a message of "you can't make me submit"?

I thought I was under grace rather than under the law.

I thought the Gospel was the rule of the believer's life rather than the law.

I thought Romans 14 gives the believer reasonable Christian liberty.

The law was changed, anyway; it didn't make anyone perfect and now what we have is better than the law (Hebrews 7.12; Hebrews 7.19).

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I thought I was under grace rather than under the law.

You seem to be avoiding giving me an answer. I'm also not sure what you think I might be challenging. I can love you as a Christian brother and still admonish your behavior.

Are you saying the law no longer has any purpose or consequences?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be avoiding giving me an answer. I'm also not sure what you think I might be challenging. I can love you as a Christian brother and still admonish your behavior.

Are you saying the law no longer has any purpose or consequences?

Admonishment is fine; but to see what I meant, read the passages I referred to in the previous post and then maybe what I mean will be clearer. Blessings.

PS: I am from a strongly dispensational background.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Admonishment is fine; but to see what I meant, read the passages I referred to in the previous post and then maybe what I mean will be clearer. Blessings.

Given our differing backgrounds, I expect I place those verses in a different context.

PS: I am from a strongly dispensational background.

I am a Confessional Lutheran.

Upvote 0

amymine712

Praising God
Jun 24, 2014
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know I got one tattoo while I was struggling with trusting God. It was put on my heart to get a rainbow which symbols God's promises and a rose wrapped around it which symbolizes me holding on to those promises.

Am I sure I did the right thing? No I am not but, I use this tattoo to talk to unbelievers about God and His promises. Which is a good thing because most of them don't get to see the Christian love and acceptance that Christ bought for us on the cross. Too many Christians judge them just for the tattoos on their bodies instead of loving on them as Christ would have done.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Fair enough. I could note some differences, but that probably wouldn't be effective now. Still, the other part of my post remains. I don't see any positive affirmations of tattoos in the Bible - only negative.

I don't see how this justifies it. Replace what you said with "anything", i.e. I can do anything I want as long as there is a desire to glorify God (1 Cor 10:23).

Suppose there were a law where you live prohibiting signs from being too large or elevated too high (such ordinances do exist). Would you say it's OK to put up a billboard of John 3:16 because it glorifies God? Would you say you are justified in some civil disobedience? Or would it be a better witness to submit to the authorities? ... even though a billboard isn't really going to do major damage?

In that context, here in the U.S.A., it might be worth disobeying in order to clarify the extent to which First Amendment protections extend.

If you're in a Christian community that frowns on marking the body, would it be better to submit or to proclaim a message of "you can't make me submit"?

The main reason I would ever consider getting a tattoo is to thumb my nose at legalists. Sometimes the "loving" thing to do is to submit in order to maintain peace and harmony, but other times the "loving" thing to do is to defy the established order so as to awaken people to the freedom Christ purchased.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The main reason I would ever consider getting a tattoo is to thumb my nose at legalists. Sometimes the "loving" thing to do is to submit in order to maintain peace and harmony, but other times the "loving" thing to do is to defy the established order so as to awaken people to the freedom Christ purchased.
At 54?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know I got one tattoo while I was struggling with trusting God. It was put on my heart to get a rainbow which symbols God's promises and a rose wrapped around it which symbolizes me holding on to those promises.

Am I sure I did the right thing? No I am not but, I use this tattoo to talk to unbelievers about God and His promises....

I think that in this New Testament age of grace, where the Gospel rather than the law is the rule of the believer's life, opportunities for the Gospel can probably overrule past, perceived legalities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ForJesusChrist

Follower of Christ
Feb 26, 2014
✟18,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you also don't wear poly-cotton blends, eat shrimp, trim your beard, or do any kind of work on Sunday. Cool.

Just because we don't follow something in the bible does not rule it out. The bible say to not murder. But people do. Does this now make it acceptable?

Upvote 0

Tzav

No fetuses were harmed by this membership.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Then you also don't wear poly-cotton blends, eat shrimp, trim your beard, or do any kind of work on Sunday. Cool.

Of course, the Bible doesn't mention polyester, cotton or working on Sunday. What shall we do!! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoshuaDaryl

Soldier of the Lord
Apr 27, 2014
Greene county IN. U.S.A,
✟15,906.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because we don't follow something in the bible does not rule it out. The bible say to not murder. But people do. Does this now make it acceptable?

:D:D:D:D:amen::amen::amen::amen::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0