Are there any Baptists that believe a Divorced Pastor Can Still Pastor a Church??

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But, if we follow your interpretation, then we all (bishops/elders/deacons) must be married, and this contradicts what Paul taught in Corinth.
No contradiction. Yes there are advantages to being single, and as our Lord said - there are some to whom it is given to remain unmarried. Paul affirms this in 1 Cor 7. But interestingly, the word he used for "gift" is charisma, the same word he uses a few chapters later to describe miracles, healings and prophecy. Just as powerful and just as rare.
If it is your calling to be single, then you should stay single. Even Pastors.
You make a huge assumption here - that a single man has a TRUE calling to be a pastor.

What if a guy who was a polygamist before coming to faith claims a calling to the pastorate?

In both cases - it is not a true calling from God.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since Peter had a mother in law - (Matt 8.14, Mk 1.30) it proves he was married.

Since the historical record would tend to suggest otherwise, why assume Tim and Titus were single?

One out of how many?

Why assume they were single?

You know what they say about when you assume.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No contradiction. Yes there are advantages to being single, and as our Lord said - there are some to whom it is given to remain unmarried. Paul affirms this in 1 Cor 7. But interestingly, the word he used for "gift" is charisma, the same word he uses a few chapters later to describe miracles, healings and prophecy. Just as powerful and just as rare.

You make a huge assumption here - that a single man has a TRUE calling to be a pastor.

What if a guy who was a polygamist before coming to faith claims a calling to the pastorate?

One disciple had a wife(?)

Hum...

Therefore that automatically means it must be applied to each and every one afterwards.

Hum...

The same applies to you. Who says a single man don't have a TRUE calling?

Two things come to mind right off the bat.
  1. If I were a Mormon, I'd have no problem with it.
  2. What do I care what a person does, or was, prior to salvation.

I have maintained that I'm a Baptist out of time. While it is true that most Pastors are examined prior to being given a church, in the old days, calling was placed above everything. Nowadays, education and experience a way, way ahead on the list.

So to answer your question, I don't know. The only person who knows in reality is God. Anybody, at any time can fool an examination committee.

And a prime example would be Charles G. Finney.

So while you accuse me of making assumptions, I wonder if your aware the same applies to you?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally believe Zipporah was disobedient due to her calling Moses a bloody man when he obeyed God on circumcision,she threw the for skin at him.

Exodus: 4. 25. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

It has to be opinion due to the Bible not telling us the rest.
I wasn't sure about what this meant either. Just sharing....
John Gill writes in his commentary...
the Targums of Jonathan and Jerusalem paraphrase the next verse,"then Zipporah gave praise, and said, how amiable is the blood of circumcision, which hath delivered my husband from the hand of the destroying angel.''

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And had it not been that Peter's mother in law fell sick, we would have no record that he was married either.
Was this verse mentioned?

Co 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

There were other married apostles. Named are the brothers/kinsmen of Jesus and Cephas (Peter).

A sister wife, a wife of the same faith, l believe.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The same applies to you. Who says a single man don't have a TRUE calling?
The requirement for that office: husband of one wife.
Two things come to mind right off the bat.
  1. If I were a Mormon, I'd have no problem with it.
  2. What do I care what a person does, or was, prior to salvation.
1 - if you were Mormon, you would not even be saved.

2 - if you are in a congregation being led by someone, you had better make sure they have a true calling; and are properly equipped and prepared for the requirements of that office. So you should be convinced one way or the other if/how what they did before salvation affects that preparation.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The requirement for that office: husband of one wife.

I have explained it again and again. I shall not explain it again.
1 - if you were Mormon, you would not even be saved.

That is besides the point.

2 - if you are in a congregation being led by someone, you had better make sure they have a true calling; and are properly equipped and prepared for the requirements of that office. So you should be convinced one way or the other if/how what they did before salvation affects that preparation.

I do not have to, that is the duty of a Pastoral search minister, and a panel of ministers whose duty it I to examine the "minister" before the church votes to determine if they are indeed fit, called, and equipped.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What about the case where, in a marriage of non-Christians, one subsequently becomes a Christian and his spouse seeks a divorce only for that reason. Is he still disqualified from being a pastor?

Also for those opposed; are you saying there are places from which God can not or will not restore you?
I'm not looking for a debate just curious about your view.

God Bless,
Jax

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about the case where, in a marriage of non-Christians, one subsequently becomes a Christian and his spouse seeks a divorce only for that reason. Is he still disqualified from being a pastor?
I am not sure on that one, whether what happened before salvation would impact it or not.
Also for those opposed; are you saying there are places from which God can not or will not restore you?
I'm not looking for a debate just curious about your view.
As to "places from which God can not or will not restore you," it is not a matter of restoration but one of calling.

Could a Benjamite or an Ephriamite ever be the High Priest? Or any Priest? No. It was not their calling.

Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was wondering if there are any Baptists out there who believe a Divorced Pastor can still pastor a church? Also how would you defend it scripturally? I have been divorced but I believe the text teaches A one woman man emphasizing faithfulness so I see no reason why a man that has been divorced can't pastor. I know that there are many out there who believe as I do and can articulate the position well. I was just wanting to get some feedback from both sides of the issue.
You know I think that it's okay to be a single minister, I think it's okay to be a divorced minister. I don't think it's okay to be a remarried minister. That would then violate the one wife rule.

At the same time verse 1 Timothy 3:5 makes it pretty clear that you better know yourself pretty well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to the original question, yes, but with proper examination, testing and observing by fellow Elders, with seriousness, sobriety, wisdom and discernment, never callously, carelessly or trivially.

The purpose of church discipline is to restore the individual to fellowship with Christ, not destroy them.

Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible teaches that if a person divorces for any reason other than their spouse committing adultery- and marrying another- commits adultery in doing so.

Remarried pastors, I would imagine, are an extreme minority because you can't have someone at the pulpit who is actively defying God's laws.

Such a pastor couldn't have a sermon about marriage, because what could he say that doesn't condemn himself?
Churches are family oriented, and so remarried pastors are an issue.

Upvote 0