Are their sins that Jesus did not pay for?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
He said, "whosoever" so he was talking about anyone who commits the sin not just one certain type of people.
A genuine believer in Christ would never commit that sin because they have the seed of grace in their heart, and the Holy Spirit indwelling them. So, the notion that Christian believers commit the unforgivable sin is totally irrelevant under the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not so. Any sin that one hardens their heart in and refuses to repent from will not be covered by Jesus' atonement.

1 John 1:5-7 "This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

Revelation 21:7-8: "7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Ephesians 5:3-7:
"3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them."
None of these references apply to genuine, born again believers in Christ under the New Covenant. Anyone who retains unconfessed sin has religion but has not gone right through the narrow gate yet to be truly converted to Christ. A genuinely converted believer will not entertain unconfessed sin in their life.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No they're not.

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is equating the work of God to the work of Satan, this is something mainline churches do all the time to their fellow denominations.

Not the same as "not believing your gospel"

Incorrect, pastor's sales pitch rejected.
No truly converted believer will ever blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Therefore, if there are church members who do, then they are not true converts to Christ regardless of how religious and faithful to their churches they are.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, the notion that Christian believers commit the unforgivable sin is totally irrelevant under the New Covenant.

No one said they WILL commit the sin but are saying that it is possible anyone can commit it including true Christians.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
None of these references apply to genuine, born again believers in Christ under the New Covenant. Anyone who retains unconfessed sin has religion but has not gone right through the narrow gate yet to be truly converted to Christ. A genuinely converted believer will not entertain unconfessed sin in their life.

Not so. The manifold warnings in the New Testament to genuinely converted Christian church members proves otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was watching the predestination debate between Micheal Brown and James White and James said something that intrigued me and i hd never thought of before.

Did Jesus’ work on the cross cover the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit?
Also was the sin of “unbelief” covered? And if so, is it possible to not be saved?
Good questions and if I may answer.
Did Jesus’ work on the cross cover the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Spirit?
That sin, is denying Him.
Also was the sin of “unbelief” covered?
No,because anyone who does not want to know the Father decided He does not exist, therefore a moot point.
And if so, is it possible to not be saved?
Yes, salvation is based on Jesus Christ of Nazareth,no Christ, no salvation. To be unified with the Father who created you requires repentance and receiving His Holy Spirit which was once with mankind before the fall. It means accepting your right to know the truth, Christ our propitiation.

• Useful
Reactions: ajcarey
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was watching the predestination debate between Micheal Brown and James White and James said something that intrigued me and i hd never thought of before.

Also was the sin of “unbelief” covered? And if so, is it possible to not be saved?
The only sin that Jesus didn't die for at the cross was the sin of unbelief in Him. "And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment: concerning sin, because they do not believe in me (John 16:8-9)." Men do not go to Hell because of their sins. They go to Hell because they are spiritually dead to God because they do not believe in the offer of the restoration of the life of God received through faith in Jesus Christ. The only way a person is not saved is by not accepting Jesus' offer of life. Once they have received the life of God that is when they begin to experience the benefit of the forgiveness Jesus provided by His death. That benefit is that there is no sin that can cause the life of God to leave a believer when they sin because of the eternal redemption of the cross (Hebrews 9:12). That is why we have eternal life. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No. Matthew 12:31-32

Anything apart from this is the justification of men.

It does not mean one can not be saved, but it DOES mean that punishment remains on them. What that punishment is, is between God and that person.

The goal of Christianity is not to get to Heaven. The goal of Christianity is to be made into the likeness of Christ.

IF the goal is to be made like Christ and NOT just to make it into Heaven, punishment can remain, while salvation remains.

The extent to how severe the punishment that remains, is God's business and not my own to question, but the Bible tells us clearly, that it will NOT be forgiven.

Unbelief is forgiven, so long as its repented of.
Mark 9:23-25

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No. Matthew 12:31-32

Anything apart from this is the justification of men.

It does not mean one can not be saved, but it DOES mean that punishment remains on them. What that punishment is, is between God and that person.

The goal of Christianity is not to get to Heaven. The goal of Christianity is to be made into the likeness of Christ.

IF the goal is to be made like Christ and NOT just to make it into Heaven, punishment can remain, while salvation remains.

The extent to how severe the punishment that remains, is God's business and not my own to question, but the Bible tells us clearly, that it will NOT be forgiven.

Unbelief is forgiven, so long as its repented of.
Mark 9:23-25
So your Jesus is not the complete Saviour then and has paid only part of the penalty for sin? Doesn't sound like the Jesus of the gospels and the New Testament to me.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So your Jesus is not the complete Saviour then and has paid only part of the penalty for sin? Doesn't sound like the Jesus of the gospels and the New Testament to me.
My Jesus is the Jesus of scripture as I qouted.

You want to follow a different Jesus that is outside of scripture, that is your choice.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How do you get that when he is quoting and is in context with scripture..?? I’m genuinely asking.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How do you get that when he is quoting and is in context with scripture..?? I’m genuinely asking.
He seems to be saying that a person can be saved but still is subject to punishment from God. Where in the New Testament does he get that from?

How can a person who has embraced Christ, trusting totally in the shed blood of Christ, receiving a new heart and spirit, and God's righteousness bestowed as a free gift, but punished for sin which in actual fact has been cancelled out totally?

Also, how can a statement that Jesus said to a group of hypocritical Jewish Pharisees be applied to New Covenant converted Christians? If there is an unforgiven sin for Christian believers, why doesn't Paul make reference to it anywhere in his epistles? Paul's teaching is no different to that of Jesus, because the Holy Spirit directly inspired his teaching to continue on with what Jesus wanted to teach New Covenant believers. Jesus spoke directly through Paul in the person of the Holy Spirit and what has resulted in the same Holy Scripture as the gospels. My view is that Paul did not refer to it because he did not believe, and the Holy Spirit concurred with him, that New Covenant converted believers will never commit the unforgivable at any time.

I don't how how the Mark Scripture relates to what we are talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He seems to be saying that a person can be saved but still is subject to punishment from God. Where in the New Testament does he get that from?

How can a person who has embraced Christ, trusting totally in the shed blood of Christ, receiving a new heart and spirit, and God's righteousness bestowed as a free gift, but punished for sin which in actual fact has been cancelled out totally?
Because Jesus Himself said it is unforgivable.

I bel8eve in a God that is merciful beyond words and understanding. IF He states that something is unforgivable, I take Him at His word on the issue.

I ALSO believe that the Father in His mercy can offer salvation to one that does what is unforgivable AND the person does not necessarily lose salvation.

Jesus said if you deny me before men I will deny you before my Father.

Do you believe that Peter was denied before the Father? IF you say yes, then I have nothing more to say.

If you say no, how do you reconcile this outside of mercy?

Jesus said it is unforgivable, therefore... you arent forgiven of this act. Period. IF you dont believe Jesus' own words.. to whom then do you follow?

Yet we see MANY times the mercy of the Lord.
From the command to stone the one caught in adultry to Peter denying Jesus 3 times.

Jesus did not cast the first stone, though He was right to. Peter denying of Jesus 3 times, yet I doubt seriously he was denied before the Father.

IF Jesus says its unforgiven, I do not argue with it or rectify it as forgiven.

I also dont believe that I am in a place to limit God or dictate who He does or does not give salvation to. He need not justify Hinself to me, so because He is merciful and the only one fit to judge... I do not believe that ALL that commit an error of the tongue are doomed to eternal seperation.... because He gives mercy to those undeserving....but I also do not believe that it is forgiven either, because He said so.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how can a statement that Jesus said to a group of hypocritical Jewish Pharisees be applied to New Covenant converted Christians? If there is an unforgiven sin for Christian believers, why doesn't Paul make reference to it anywhere in his epistles? Paul's teaching is no different to that of Jesus, because the Holy Spirit directly inspired his teaching to continue on with what Jesus wanted to teach New Covenant believers. Jesus spoke directly through Paul in the person of the Holy Spirit and what has resulted in the same Holy Scripture as the gospels. My view is that Paul did not refer to it because he did not believe, and the Holy Spirit concurred with him, that New Covenant converted believers will never commit the unforgivable at any time.

I don't how how the Mark Scripture relates to what we are talking about.
Acts 5 The story of Ananias and Sapphira were believers but committed the unpardonable sin by lying to the Holy Spirit. I recall Paul or someone making reference to that, but I’ll have to find that later.

The quotation of Mark was relevant to the unbelief discussion/example.

Jesus Himself said that there is no forgiveness for the unpardonable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. If you don’t believe His words, you won’t believe what I’m citing to you either.

Thanks for the reply :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because Jesus Himself said it is unforgivable.

I bel8eve in a God that is merciful beyond words and understanding. IF He states that something is unforgivable, I take Him at His word on the issue.

I ALSO believe that the Father in His mercy can offer salvation to one that does what is unforgivable AND the person does not necessarily lose salvation.

Jesus said if you deny me before men I will deny you before my Father.

Do you believe that Peter was denied before the Father? IF you say yes, then I have nothing more to say.

If you say no, how do you reconcile this outside of mercy?

Jesus said it is unforgivable, therefore... you arent forgiven of this act. Period. IF you dont believe Jesus' own words.. to whom then do you follow?

Yet we see MANY times the mercy of the Lord.
From the command to stone the one caught in adultry to Peter denying Jesus 3 times.

Jesus did not cast the first stone, though He was right to. Peter denying of Jesus 3 times, yet I doubt seriously he was denied before the Father.

IF Jesus says its unforgiven, I do not argue with it or rectify it as forgiven.

I also dont believe that I am in a place to limit God or dictate who He does or does not give salvation to. He need not justify Hinself to me, so because He is merciful and the only one fit to judge... I do not believe that ALL that commit an error of the tongue are doomed to eternal seperation.... because He gives mercy to those undeserving....but I also do not believe that it is forgiven either, because He said so.
If you want to believe that, then I will leave you to it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Acts 5 The story of Ananias and Sapphira were believers but committed the unpardonable sin by lying to the Holy Spirit. I recall Paul or someone making reference to that, but I’ll have to find that later.

The quotation of Mark was relevant to the unbelief discussion/example.

Jesus Himself said that there is no forgiveness for the unpardonable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. If you don’t believe His words, you won’t believe what I’m citing to you either.

Thanks for the reply :yellowheart:
I am aware of the account of Ananias and Sapphira. Of course, we don't really know if they were genuinely converted believers. For all we know they could have been professing believers but with unchanged, still unregenerate hearts.

Their deception, for which they lost their lives, is not sufficient proof that genuine converted believers will blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Limited Atonement would say those atoned for by Jesus won't blaspheme the Holy Spirit. And they will all become believers. The problem is in Universal Atonement that did not pay for any sin, else all would be saved. Universal atonement only makes possible salvation for the self-righteous by works.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not so. Any sin that one hardens their heart in and refuses to repent from will not be covered by Jesus' atonement.

God makes claims that He is the one who hardens hearts.
God's argument takes away the thunder from your hands
were it does not belong.

Exodus 4
21 And the Lord said to Moses, “When you go back to Egypt, see that you do before Pharaoh all the miracles that I have put in your power. But I will harden his heart, so that he will not let the people go.

Exodus 9
12 But the Lord hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he did not listen to them, as the Lord had spoken to Moses.

Exodus 7
2 But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in the land of Egypt,

Exodus 8
But when Pharaoh saw that there was a respite, he hardened his heart and would not listen to them, as the Lord had said.

Exodus 10
20 But the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he did not let the people of Israel go.

Romans 9
18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Is it your contention that Paul was saying that Jesus died because he loved our sins? I am saying that Jesus chose to die in order to save us, for our sake, because He loves us and we need salvation. Do you disagree with that ? Did He instead decide to die for the sake of the sins we commit in order to save those sins? The I Co passage you reference does not contradict what I am saying. the word "for" in that passage can be understood as meaning "as a remedy for " while the "for" in my post can be understood to mean "for the sake of" . Paul is saying that Jesus died because we are sinners not that Jesus died for the sake of the sins we commit. I a am saying Jesus died for our sake because we are sinners and need redemption. We are in agreement with each other but speaking of different things while using the same word "for". If we were not sinners, Jesus would not need to die to redeem us but Jesus did not die for the sake of our sins but for our sake.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Limited Atonement would say those atoned for by Jesus won't blaspheme the Holy Spirit. And they will all become believers. The problem is in Universal Atonement that did not pay for any sin, else all would be saved. Universal atonement only makes possible salvation for the self-righteous by works.
Works is an offshoot of faith and an indicator. But has no power itself.

Upvote 0