• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Are their modern examples of people speaking in tongues, healing, etc...?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by FriendlyJosh, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sword of the Lord

Sword of the Lord In need of a physician.

+7,299
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yeah. I don't know why. It's a blessing I cherish, but it's also one that I don't understand. I am so unworthy and pretty much a terrible person. Maybe this is how Christ speaks to me and gives me confidence in him. I don't really want to talk about it much and put a light on me though. I'm a believer in going into a closet and doing my deeds in private, and I feel this falls under that. I can confirm that miracles still happen is all.

2. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,483
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    nm

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. TillICollapse

TillICollapse Well-Known Member

+260
    Single
    I don't understand what you mean when you say that you've never seen anything. The bleeding from the wounds in your hands/feet and side are physical, or are you saying it's in your head or visible only to you ? I don't understand.

I've known people who bleed from what they believe to be certain spiritual phenomena ... but their blood is actual, physical blood. So is yours actual physical blood ?

4. Sword of the Lord

+7,299
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Just the sensation. I feel a light pain in my hands, feet, and side where Christ would have been nailed and pierced. Sometimes it's more intense than others, but he never makes me feel it fully -- at most I wince and might not be able to stand on my feet or hold anything in my hands for a moment. I've never seen anything physical, but that isn't necessary for stigmata anyways. It had been happening in prayer for quite awhile before I stumbled across the term and similar stories. I do not feel them when I'm not praying.

5. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+1,276
    Catholic
    Married

psychosomatic

adjective
    adjective: psychosomatic
    (of a physical illness or other condition) caused or aggravated by a mental factor such as internal conflict or stress.

6. TillICollapse

TillICollapse Well-Known Member

+260
    Single
    Ah I see, I gotcha. Thanks for explaining :)

7. Sword of the Lord

+7,299
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Believe what you want. I found it weird at first and went to the doctor about it until I discovered the pattern of it being only during prayer and only where Christ was wounded. I originally assumed heart/clot problems or something of that nature.

PS I'm honestly done talking about it publicly. Doesn't feel right.

8. JimR-OCDS

+1,276
    Catholic
    Married
    The purpose of the stigmata or any miracle, isn't for ego-stroking.

It's for bringing faith to OTHERS. It comes from God alone, not from self-will.

When people use it for self glorification, it's not from God.

Jim

9. Sword of the Lord

+7,299
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So clearly you haven't read. Got it.

10. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,483
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    nm

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  11. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+405
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    Michael,

I want to say in my preteen/early teen years I experienced much pain in my hands and feet. Quite often during sexual temptation more than anything else.
    I am not claiming I am a mystic, but I HAVE had experiences where I knew it HAD to come from God...including his consolation which is so deeply erotic and joyful there is no other word that I can think of that expresses it.

I do not know if it was a grace from God, but I do 100% believe you.

*Note: When I say "erotic" I mean..intense love, intense union NOT sexual.

12. Wryetui

Wryetui IC XC NIKA

+254
    Romania
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Nothing supernatural ever happened to me, sincerely. Am I weird?

13. JimR-OCDS

+1,276
    Catholic
    Married

It's not up to you to have anything happen supernaturally.

Whatever we receive comes from God. We create nothing on our
    own.

The only thing we can do is be open to God's will in our lives.

Jim

14. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,760
    Catholic
    Single
    nope

15. RileyG

RileyG Veteran

+405
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I am not claiming it comes from God. However, I think my experiences led me to a deeper and more intimate love for God.

I have had supernatural experiences..once when I was quite young actually. Was it from God? I do not know.

16. Sword of the Lord

+7,299
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    This is why I was skeptical and uneasy about even discussing it. I believe miracles and experiences of individual believers can pit us against ourselves or make us feel less valued if we don't experience that same or similar things. You're definitely not weird. Your faith is probably so strong that you don't need any proofs or experiences --- blessed are they who believe without seeing! Perhaps I'm a Thomas and I need these things in my life, I don't know. I'm a terrible person and poor example of what it means to follow Christ. Maybe this isn't even for me, but for someone else through me.

I'm a believer in praying in private and doing good things without boasting or being seen, and as I said, it's my gut feeling that, at least for now, this is supposed tinge private between me and God as well.

17. LivingWordUnity

LivingWordUnity Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic

+11,116
    Catholic
    Married
    You aren't weird. You're young, so you probably haven't had that much life experience yet. But I believe that everyone has experienced some kind of supernatural intervention even if they don't realize it. For example, have you ever come close to death? I came close to death several times even as a child. I didn't recognize at the time that something supernatural was involved, but I do now that I am older and can see a pattern and the purpose.

Edit:
    Actually, if you have ever partaken of one of the sacraments of the Church you experienced the supernatural.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  18. Wryetui

Wryetui IC XC NIKA

+254
    Romania
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Well, God knows better. Sadly, I sometimes desire supernatural and miraculous things happening to me, but when I think about them they would make me fear, this is clearly an example of lack of faith to me, but still, I believe without having seen any forms of paranormal activity, something in me can't stop believing, something in me, believes to death! :D

19. JimR-OCDS

+1,276
    Catholic
    Married
    We're not to desire supernatural experiences, for the devil can use such things to lead us astray.

This is according to St John of the Cross.

Jim

20. LivingWordUnity

LivingWordUnity Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic

+11,116
    Catholic
    Married
    Since the sacraments are supernatural, I'm sure that he didn't mean that we shouldn't desire that kind of supernatural experience (and I'm sure that you don't mean that kind of supernatural experience either). I generally agree that we shouldn't desire a supernatural experience of other sorts. But desiring it and recognizing it when it happens are two different things. I have had supernatural experiences that were from God. And when I used to dabble in witchcraft I had supernatural experiences that were from the devil. The difference is that when it is from the devil it always turns out to be a big disappointment and makes you very sad because it is evil. But when God does something for us it is good, so it leads us to true happiness. The devil gives us what we want, but God gives us what we need.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015