Are their modern examples of people speaking in tongues, healing, etc...?

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have seen reports of this type of thing, and one hears about it, but I have never seen any credible evidence that the healing has actually happened. I have been to Pentecostal services where people were purportedly speaking in tongues, but I am unable to judge whether or not it was some legitimate spiritual experience or just an act.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you will find instances of praying in tongues at many Charismatic Catholic Prayer Meetings as well as Charismatic Masses and sometimes Healing Masses that are associated with the Charismatic Catholic Renewal.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you will find instances of praying in tongues at many Charismatic Catholic Prayer Meetings as well as Charismatic Masses and sometimes Healing Masses that are associated with the Charismatic Catholic Renewal.

I have not been to a Charismatic Catholic service, but I do not doubt your word. What I meant by my post was that I was unable to judge for myself the authenticity of the experience.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with sylverpiano that it is practically impossible for us to judge that the experience of speaking in tongues is authentic. That's why St. Paul, although not condemning it, placed a low priority on it.

As for a saint having the gift of healing others, St. André Bessette of Montreal, Canada is a major example.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey there, LWU!

I speak English of course, and I have some fluency in Italian from my mother. I have been able to bring about about the same level of fluency in Spanish due to my workforce. From my father, I also speak a little Hebrew.

Put all of that together, and with some practice I could maybe convince someone that I was Spirit filled and speaking in tongues.

If I could do it, I am sure others could

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey there, LWU!

I speak English of course, and I have some fluency in Italian from my mother. I have been able to bring about about the same level of fluency in Spanish due to my workforce. From my father, I also speak a little Hebrew.

Put all of that together, and with some practice I could maybe convince someone that I was Spirit filled and speaking in tongues.

If I could do it, I am sure others could
I struggle with trying to learn Spanish which people say is supposed to be easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I struggle with trying to learn Spanish which people say is supposed to be easy.

I learned my Italian as a child from my Mom. Italian and Spanish are very similar, and all but two of my employees are Hispanic. Just the immersion has polished my Spanish up. The Hebrew is much harder. I only know a few phrases from the various services I attend with my Brother and his family.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess the pope and Catholic Charismatic Renewal have a long way to go before most Catholics accept that the charisms are part of the Church. Several popes have supported the renewal. Pope Francis welcome the Renewal to Rome last year and will again at the 50th anniversary of the formal organization in 2017.

The CCR is present in 230 countries and totals over 100 million. It is very important in the Church in South America and Africa.

Pope Francis & the Charismatic Renewal: Q&A with Patti Gallagher Mansfield | America Magazine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charismatic_Renewal
===================
See below from the letter from Pope JPII at the 25th anniversary.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-p...f_jp-ii_spe_19920314_charismatic-renewal.html
=====================
Also,

In March 1992, Pope John Paul II stated

At this moment in the Church's history, the Charismatic Renewal can play a significant role in promoting the much-needed defense of Christian life in societies where secularism and materialism have weakened many people's ability to respond to the Spirit and to discern God's loving call. Your contribution to the re-evangelization of society will be made in the first place by personal witness to the indwelling Spirit and by showing forth His presence through works of holiness and solidarity.[15]

Moreover, during Pentecost 1998, the Pope recognized the essential nature of the charismatic dimension:

"The institutional and charismatic aspects are co-essential as it were to the Church’s constitution. They contribute, although differently, to the life, renewal and sanctification of God’s People. It is from this providential rediscovery of the Church’s charismatic dimension that, before and after the Council, a remarkable pattern of growth has been established for ecclesial movements and new communities."[16]

The Papal Preacher, Rev. Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa, has written on the topic numerous times since 1986.[17]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There have been some priests who have conducted "healing ministries."

One was, I believe, Fr. Dennis Kelleher of the Marian Healing Ministry (now deceased). He gave Masses primarily in metropolitan NY and Chicago.

One of my pastors in St. Louis was very involved in charismatic ministry and used to pray over people for the "healing of memories." I am sure that often our physical illnesses can be healed if our memories are healed.

I find the whole 'speaking in tongues' phenomenon uninteresting. When I read Acts, I think they are actually talking about speaking in different languages, not some sort of echolalia...

In my head I file it among other totally useless skills--like cracking ones knuckles or being able to touch your nose with your tongue.

When I learned about the gifts of the Holy Spirit, I prayed that if I received such gifts that they would be useful and productive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I returned to the Church back in 1976, I went to a healing service by Fr Ralph DiOrio.

When the service began, he and many in the congregation began singing in tongues. It literally sounded like heaven opened up and I could hear the angles praising God.

It was beautiful.

Jim

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When I returned to the Church back in 1976, I went to a healing service by Fr Ralph DiOrio.

When the service began, he and many in the congregation began singing in tongues. It literally sounded like heaven opened up and I could hear the angles praising God.

It was beautiful.

Jim

I too have been at some of Fr DiOrio's healing services. See below for a current schedule.

http://www.rdohealingministry.org/whats-new/general-information/
======

As an aside, it seems that so many here are caught up with "speaking in tongues", even when St Paul said that this is least of the charismatic gifts (but still a charismatic gift).

I was taught that there are three related gifts related to tongues: speaking, singing and praying. The first is where so many cautions have been given, as should be the case. Such proclamations require an interpreter.

I have seen many of the gifts manifested, but NOT speaking in tongues.
=====
I often wonder why folks reject all the other charismatics gifts of the spirit because they reject one aspect of the least among these gifts.

Upvote 0