Are the narratives of Genesis a true revelation of God's works to Moses to correct other writings?

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"True, we don't know how long Adam was in the Garden prior to the fall...but, it wasn't thousands of years."

Of course we don't know the exact number of days, but we DO know how long Adam lived! That includes how long he was in the garden. Adam was created & had a starting point & an ending point to his life.

Scripture gives us how long this was. You either believe the Scriptures or you speculate in the imaginations of one's mind.

Gen 5:4,5 And after he had become the father of Seth, Adam lived 800 years & had other sons & daughters. Thus ALL THE DAYS that Adam lived were 930 years & then he died.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That includes how long he was in the garden.
That would be a revelation...if it were the scripture.

But the scripture does not say that age includes the Garden time.

That's the very issue being discussed, that the Garden time was neither specified, nor even necessarily like ordinary time it seems by the very fact of the content of Genesis chapters 2 and 3. See post #23 and 40.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believe what you will, brother. I will believe the Scriptures. All his days, including those in the garden, were mentioned. He is no different, in terms of length of life, than any of the other patriarchs that were mentioned in just the exact same chronological way that Adam was. If his is not accurate, then none of the rest are & God isn't going to mislead us.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Like a puppy, I need guidance."

If you don't put your faith in what God wrote as historical narrative in Genesis, then who or what are you putting your faith in to say that it isn't a literal life & told how long Adam lived as accurate & true?

It mentions the total days he lived as well as people all through Genesis & all through all the books of the Bible clear through to Revelation! One cannot isolate Adam's life as not true without throwing out all the rest of people's total lives in Scripture.

One has to realize that the Hebrew people kept an extremely careful listing of people's lives & their geneaologies. They were very accurate.

If they were lying about Adam or trying to deceive us as to how long he lived, then He was lying about how long Abraham lived or how long Jacob lived or how long Moses lived or how long king David lived, etc.

Do you realize that every single day of every person's life is recorded in God's book about them, let alone every tear we have ever shed? God cannot judge anyone justly without have a record of their lives each & every day & what happened, whether good or bad.

Psalm 139:16 You saw my unformed body before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in Your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

Job 4:5 Since his days are determined & the number of his months is with You & since You have set limits that he cannot exceed...

Psalm 56:8 You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in Your book.

Matt 10:26-28 “But don’t be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything that is hidden will be revealed, &all that is secret will be made known to all. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul & body in hell.

That is literally how much God cares & is concerned for us, every single moment of every day in our lives.

The problem is people are ignorant of God's Word as Jesus repeatedly showed: 'have you not read, is it not written, have you never heard', etc.' The best interpreter of the Bible is the Bible itself.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believe what you will, brother. I will believe the Scriptures. All his days, including those in the garden, were mentioned. He is no different, in terms of length of life, than any of the other patriarchs that were mentioned in just the exact same chronological way that Adam was. If his is not accurate, then none of the rest are & God isn't going to mislead us.
How many Earth days was Adam in the Garden?

It's not in scripture, I know. And now you do too, or can check.

Did the time in the Garden with the Eternal One for Whom time is nothing, a thousand years (millions, billion, does not matter) like as if only a day, and with the Tree of Life (!) there....the same as ordinary time outside the Garden on Earth?....

Scripture does not say, I know. And now you do too, or can check.

God did not tell us how much time passed outside the Garden, just as He did not tell us how much time passed during verse 1 of Genesis 1 before the moment in verse 2....

Because mere time duration does not matter, and things vastly more meaningful are instead being told to us.

One of the deep purposes of scripture, Genesis chapter 1 especially, is to change us. To do something to us.

So that when we read it with true listening, being silent, and listening, it changes us. And we are no longer the same afterwards.

The Word happens to us, instead of us happening to the Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MayYouBeBlessed

Jul 7, 2019
Earth
✟16,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I truly believe that people take Genesis too literally. There is more too it than black and white.

800 year old Adam to me is not to be taken literally.

Doubting the Word of God is not trusting Him. 800 means 800, not even 799.

• Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,108.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Doubting the Word of God is not trusting Him. 800 means 800, not even 799.

You are wrong. Its not a matter of not trusting the word of God. No. Its a matter of interpreting it correctly!

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
JacobKStarkey said: Sigh. Sumerian books have not been "forged" by archaeologists.
Yes they were. Anything that contradicts the Bible is false.
No, the Sumerian mythology was not forged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was. All those tablets. Also their translation. All false.
No, it was not. The Sumerian myths contradict what: the ones from the Bible?

You have absolutely no evidence, other than your opinion, that they were forged.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
All sources for the Bible and that contradict the Bible must be weighed by the evidence. The weight of the Bible as evidence can only be measured by corroborating its claims in relation to the universal world.

ID, young Earth, and creationism has to prove itself.

What it says is not conclusive evidence in itself at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MayYouBeBlessed

Jul 7, 2019
Earth
✟16,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All sources for the Bible and that contradict the Bible must be weighed by the evidence. The weight of the Bible as evidence can only be measured by corroborating its claims in relation to the universal world.

For me as a believer it's the other way around. The information from the Bible is the absolute truth. Science is often incorrect and servces an agenda. The lord of this world Satan hates the Bible.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Very often, people that believe a doctrine or theory, composed of a series of statements A1, A2, A3, A4... will assume that: If A1 is in the Bible, and A2 is in the Bible, then it must be that A3 and A4 must be also in the Bible.

Even when they are not anywhere in scripture.

So, one key thing they need in those situations is the helpful information that A3 and A4 aren't in the Bible.

Sometimes then they may point to some theologian that had a theory/doctrine to supplement or add detail, and then lay out to us the theory/doctrine, and then it can be helpful to search to find the assumptions the theologian presumed or added, the hidden assumptions, and bring them out into the light.

Where everyone could see the previously hidden assumptions in the clear light of day.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
For me as a believer it's the other way around. The information from the Bible is the absolute truth. Science is often incorrect and servces an agenda. The lord of this world Satan hates the Bible.
You can believe whatever you want, and that is only beholden to you no one else.

Upvote 0