Are the following statements supported by scripture?

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. The Bible says live your life as a sacrifice of praise.
2. God will only come if you cry out to Him and that you must cry out for Him to move or show His presence.
3. God sits on the throne of our praise and our praise confuses the enemy
4. Satan cannot stand in the presence of God
5. Gods people must praise Him for Him to come

I listened to an online service, will not say from where, and the praise or worship leader in fast succession said all of the above in order to engage the people. Now I think in some of those statements there may be some partial truth but I think much of it is mixed theology and some just outright misunderstanding of scripture. But I am just one person. Thought maybe others would be interested to chime in. Thoughts?

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2. God will only come if you cry out to Him and that you must cry out for Him to move or show His presence.

I listened to an online service, will not say from where, and the praise or worship leader in fast succession said all of the above in order to engage the people. Now I think in some of those statements there may be some partial truth but I think much of it is mixed theology and some just outright misunderstanding of scripture. But I am just one person. Thought maybe others would be interested to chime in. Thoughts?
I can't address them all but number 1 is backed up by scripture. Number 4 is wrong I think. Satan stands in the presence of God in the book of Job.

Job 2:1 KJV
(1) Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

EDIT: There's also the temption of Christ to think about

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

#2 and #5 are obviously false. We do not control what God does.

As to #1, Hebrews 13:15 does indeed say: Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

#4 is true, if I am understanding it correctly. Jesus has defeated Satan (Colossians 2:15: And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross).

#3 is not quite right. God sits on a throne, and we praise Him, but our praise is not God's throne.

I listened to an online service, will not say from where, and the praise or worship leader in fast succession said all of the above in order to engage the people.

I'd think very seriously about listening to some other online services instead. Three wrong out of five is pretty poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
#2 and #5 are obviously false. We do not control what God does.

As to #1, Hebrews 13:15 does indeed say: Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

#4 is true, if I am understanding it correctly. Jesus has defeated Satan (Colossians 2:15: And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross).

#3 is not quite right. God sits on a throne, and we praise Him, but our praise is not God's throne.

I'd think very seriously about listening to some other online services instead.
Am I misunderstanding number 4?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I would think so.

I would interpret "stand" as meaning "stand in the face of attack" as in Matthew 12:26 or Ephesians 6:11, and the NT teaches us that Satan was defeated at the cross.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would think so.

I would interpret "stand" as meaning "stand in the face of attack" as in Matthew 12:26 or Ephesians 6:11.
You could be right but I'm not sure because I would have thought it was obvious Satan has no chance standing against God in that way? It seems like a pointless statement?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems like a pointless statement?

Well, my reading seems to better fit the flow of the worship leader's argument (such as it is):

a) We must praise God for God to come.
b) When God comes, Satan will be driven out.​

The problem is that (a) is false.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ps 22

I cry out by day, O my God, but You do not answer, and by night, but I have no rest. 3Yet You are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.

Oh, good call. I had forgotten that passage.

That said, the NIV translates the verse as "Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises."

The passage does not mean what the worship leader implied; it would be blackest heresy to suggest that God somehow "falls off His throne" if we stop praising him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Too bad you won't tell us which service it was. I'd like to listen to or watch it for myself. That would give me much more to work with to give a good criticism.

Anyway, to me it is pretty clear that this is not a great preacher already, based on what you did tell us. If he was great and he did base it on scripture he'd give you the scriptures right along with the theories/doctrines. With a good preacher you should never have to wonder "is this or that in the Bible or not". The scriptures should be right there in the sermon.

I think your conclusion is probably right, but partial truth like you said may actually be generous. God's presence may be felt more when praising Him, when done in faith, sure. That you must praise Him for Him to come though, I'd say, is outright false. I definitely wasn't praising God when I sought Him, and still He came.

I would advice against following this teacher. Good luck in your journey.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't address them all but number 1 is backed up by scripture. Number 4 is wrong I think. Satan stands in the presence of God in the book of Job.

Job 2:1 KJV
(1) Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

EDIT: There's also the temption of Christ to think about
Which channel were you watching TBN on? And Which "Dr and or Bishop" was speaking?

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would think so.

I would interpret "stand" as meaning "stand in the face of attack" as in Matthew 12:26 or Ephesians 6:11, and the NT teaches us that Satan was defeated at the cross.

Satan was defeated in 27 ad. After John baptized Jesus he went into the wilderness where he defeated satan.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Jesus said these prior to the cross

The cross provided a path for our salvation, as his blood being shed was the requirement of the law and the fulfillment of the sacrificial system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Satan was defeated in 27 ad. After John baptized Jesus he went into the wilderness where he defeated satan.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Jesus said these prior to the cross

The cross provided a path for our salvation, as his blood being shed was the requirement of the law and the fulfillment of the sacrificial system.

I stand by what Colossians 2:15 says.

But our differences aren't really germane to the O.P. The point is that Jesus defeated Satan, and that Satan is defeated now.

• Agree
Reactions: CaspianSails
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the statement that I replied to, as it appears to be a false teaching. see post 14 above

Sigh. :sigh:

So you really want to make a big thing over a few years?

Well, in that case, neither Romans 6:23 nor Matthew 5:17 are relevant to your point.

John 16:33 is indeed to the point, but it was spoken just hours before Jesus was betrayed, and Jesus is speaking of the events to follow as already accomplished. Indeed, the very next verse says "After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: 'Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.'"

And Colossians 2:15 is quite clear: And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. (NIV)

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Too bad you won't tell us which service it was. I'd like to listen to or watch it for myself. That would give me much more to work with to give a good criticism.

Anyway, to me it is pretty clear that this is not a great preacher already, based on what you did tell us. If he was great and he did base it on scripture he'd give you the scriptures right along with the theories/doctrines. With a good preacher you should never have to wonder "is this or that in the Bible or not". The scriptures should be right there in the sermon.

I think your conclusion is probably right, but partial truth like you said may actually be generous. God's presence may be felt more when praising Him, when done in faith, sure. That you must praise Him for Him to come though, I'd say, is outright false. I definitely wasn't praising God when I sought Him, and still He came.

I would advice against following this teacher. Good luck in your journey.

I can only say to #4 that in the book of Job Satan did stand before God. He is the accuser of the brethren but I don't know that there is a reference in the N.T. to say true or false with any confidence. But I also do not know that I could say with certainty that he could not stand in God's presence. I don't know that I can speak for God on that one so I would simply not say it.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can only say to #4 that in the book of Job Satan did stand before God. He is the accuser of the brethren but I don't know that there is a reference in the N.T. to say true or false with any confidence. But I also do not know that I could say with certainty that he could not stand in God's presence. I don't know that I can speak for God on that one so I would simply not say it.
Sorry I'm slightly confused. Aren't we just saying what the Bible says?

• Agree
Reactions: CaspianSails
Upvote 0