Are the 10 Commandments Taken From the Egyptian Book of the Dead?

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
I've heard this a lot...that some of the ten commandments were actually really borrowed from the Egyptian book of the dead when moses was in Egypt or something.

Is this true? Does anyone know? And if it is true does it matter (lol) ???

Another possible source is the Mesopotamian Code of Hammurabi which, in various forms, was widespread through the Ancient Near East.

Not all of the Ten Commandments could come from such sources. I think the commands relative to the Sabbath were unique to the Hebrews.

But such commands as Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not commit adultery are pretty universal, so I don't think it matters much that they could have been imported into the Ten Commandments from previously existing law codes.

It is not just the Ten Commandments either. Many of the other laws in the Torah also have counterparts in the laws of other societies of the Ancient Near East and Egypt as well.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2007
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for your answer!

So...if this is the case...then when did God actually make it clear that there are a set of morals that we should follow? If the ten commandments are just inspired from others and not inspired by God?

And if the ten commandments are universal and were around before moses etc., then are the people who knew of these things before also prophets of god then?

I know a loaded question that I really don't expect you to fully answer. Just a question to throw out there. :p

Thanks again and may God bless you!

Upvote 0

Canucker

Canadian
Jun 20, 2004
Alberta, Canada
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
K maybe I can get more out this time...Morals have been set since God he is good! Humans are created in his image which does not make us dumb. If we thought killing was all right, a human at least would say no this is only going to destroy the human race! A moral set, but Adam and Eve where in the garden with God and knew him so they knew what he approves of and doesn't. So Morals have been set since God.

Now the about the influence on the ten commandments does not take away that it is from God. God is the creator these ideas we have or others have could they not come from God? God has every write to take credit for all that is good, well not credit because everything that is good comes from him.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Thanks for your answer!

So...if this is the case...then when did God actually make it clear that there are a set of morals that we should follow? If the ten commandments are just inspired from others and not inspired by God?

Why do you assume that just because people had some good moral sense before Moses set down the law, that they were not inspired by God?

God didn't speak only to the Hebrew people. In John's gospel we are told that Christ is the Light that enlightens every person. In Romans, Paul tells us that those who have never heard the law will be judged according to the light they have received. One of the prophets, I forget which one at the moment, says there is no nation in which God does not have his worshippers.

So whether or not the Ten Commandments repeated laws which people already knew, doesn't mean the influence was purely human, because people knew them through the witness of Christ the Word to every person.

And if the ten commandments are universal and were around before moses etc., then are the people who knew of these things before also prophets of god then?

Yes, since God has worshippers among every people, presumably this includes prophets. The wise men who sought out the infant Jesus, for example, could be accounted as non-Hebrew prophets.

Upvote 0

mumluvsherboys

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,867.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God is good and like another poster says:"Everything from God is good." The Ten Commandments came from God and were inspired by God. This is not to say there weren't "good" egyptians. This is only to say the egyptions did not write the Bible. It is soley inspired by God for his people. The Ten Commandments are made real for us by what Christ did on the cross. The Holy spirit convicts us and tells us when we are out of line (when we break a Commandment or think about breaking a Commandment) . That is how we know the Ten Commandments come from God. I am sure unbelievers are not convicted by the Holy Spirit when they break commandments. I think the idea of going to jail and becoming a weak member of society etc. is more the drive for them. I believe morals a driving force with this as well. The definition of morals is much different for believers than non-believers. For instance... Pre-marital sex. As believers we know that this is immoral (that doesn't mean we don't make mistakes) Non-believers see nothing wrong with it. Non-believers do not feel this is a sin. In fact many believe that it is a healthy way to express themselves and/or to get to know someone before marriage. I have heard women say, I would never marry a man unless I knew what he was like to live with and in the sack. With Believers it is the opposite (for the most part... we are all human and do err on the side of judgement). So many non-believers would feel that premarital sex to be moral as it a responsible decision to them. Believers know why it isn't.

Another example is covetness. Everyone wants to keep up with the Joneses. The more stuff you have the higher in society you are. In fact many people believe it irresponsible to give money to churches. They believe Churches to be the big immoral money takers. So logically the money one makes goes to oneself and betters themself and therefore society. Many "good" people donate to charities and have done a lot of good with great recognition. But we know that all this comes from God and all praise goes to him, not ourselves. We know this because the Holy Spirit convicts us.

Anyway, there is a fine line between what is moral and what is Godly.

Well, that's my two cents ;) Hope you all have a lovely day!

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard this a lot...that some of the ten commandments were actually really borrowed from the Egyptian book of the dead when moses was in Egypt or something.

:eek:

I thought...... could be wrong.... that they were carved in stone by Gods finger. Actually twice....cause of they made that calf to worship. I mean like .... Brought across the desert, with a pillar of fire, and manna, the red sea crossing and then they say that some calf did it. No wonder Moses was mad. Do you think this is fairy tale? I dont'. I dont' think the commandments came from Egypt. I think rather that the moral laws had possibly been instilled in Egypt by Joseph and the Israelites during their time there. The Egyptians could have wrote them down at some time. Now, after coming out of Egypt, they would have them written in stone for all Generations.

TG

Upvote 0

Lightcreated

May 5, 2007
New York
✟15,319.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

:eek:

Oh no what a terrible thing to say WOW!!
That is impossible and anyway the whole bible is GOD's commandment to his people the true believers which is every1 that HE has planned to save.
And if you think some of the commandment's came from anywhere besides the LORD then you have to ask your self (AM I TRUELY SAVED?) because if you are second guessing GOD might mean that you might not be saved.
I'm not a saved man hopefully HE will save me 1day soon, and i would never believe any1 else or any other writing's concerning GOD if it is'nt the BIBLE because that's the word of GOD himself and by second guessing GOD you are saying you don't trust in the lord and who ever said that and who ever believe's that is calling GOD a liar.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you can pretty well put that puppy to bed. If there is anything clear about the 10 commandments, its that it stands in stark contrast to anything else that came before. Just take the 3rd one. Where in the heck does that come from? Only from revelation. There is no astronomical corelation for such a command; we have 30 day months (lunar), we have 365 day years (solar), we have other measurements, but no 7-day-week-measurement is found in nature.

Consider this, the 10 commandments, unlike the rest of the Mosaic law, was to be handed over to the people, written in stone by the finger of God. The rest of the law was given by way of dictation. The 10 are unmediated and come to the people straight from God.

Consider this, the other codes that came before came by way of a lawgiver whom the gods selected. The lawgiver then made up the laws and doled them out. Moses, unlike any other said, "Thus says the Lord", in other words, "these are not my laws, but Gods"

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dimwhitt

Jun 6, 2007
Washington D.C.
Visit site
✟8,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the egyptian book of the dead is a series of incantations, prayers, hymns to protect the dead (those wealthy enough to afford it) on their journey to the afterlife

it contains no law

the commandments are unique to Israel, but they did follow many legal principles already in place
but with a unique spin on them (from a unique God)

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian Apologists have always used the moral law or as C.S. Lewis preferred to call it, the natural law, as proof of a divine being existing.

Even since the days of Cain and Able we are shown in the book of Genesis, that 'worship' is innate and an unwritten innate sense of moral right and wrong exist.

Even if some of this innate knowledge was committed to writing before the Old Testament Patriarchs existed does not mean that the Bible's including them makes it uninspired. Yes, there are a number of similarities between the Old Testament moral code and an earlier secular moral code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi

Moses may have included a number of these law codes but just because he may have, does not make the whole an uninspired body of writing.
----------------------------------------------

The Egyptian Book of the Dead is another debate for Christian Apologists. It is used as argument against Christianity by skeptics trying to prove that our Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, are the spiritual characters of the ancient Egyptians.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christian Apologists have always used the moral law or as C.S. Lewis preferred to call it, the natural law, as proof of a divine being existing.

Even since the days of Cain and Able we are shown in the book of Genesis, that 'worship' is innate and an unwritten innate sense of moral right and wrong exist.

Even if some of this innate knowledge was committed to writing before the Old Testament Patriarchs existed does not mean that the Bible's including them makes it uninspired. Yes, there are a number of similarities between the Old Testament moral code and an earlier secular moral code:

Moses may have included a number of these law codes but just because he may have, does not make the whole an uninspired body of writing.
----------------------------------------------

The Egyptian Book of the Dead is another debate for Christian Apologists. It is used as argument against Christianity by skeptics trying to prove that our Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, are the spiritual characters of the ancient Egyptians.

Moses did not include any of Hammurabi's laws.

Upvote 0

archaeologist

Jun 16, 2007
✟16,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

the ten commandments are inspired and written by God. murder as wrong was from the beginning and instituted by God when he punished cain. hammurabi, the egyptians all had similar codes but God did not borrow those laws from humans but set the standard in the time of adam, the ancient civilizations got their laws form the survivors of th eflood who followed God.

it is tiring to continually see people state that God copied fromthe secular world when it is not true. the secular world copied from God.

Upvote 0

Rudolph Hucker

Jun 26, 2007
Canberra ACT
✟19,303.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Moses did not include any of Hammurabi's laws.
Are you sure?

There were many small tribes with similar laws around then.

The Code of Hammurabi was one of many sets of laws in the Ancient Near East. Most of these codes come from similar cultures and racial groups in a relatively small geographical area, and they necessarily have passages that resemble each other. The earlier code of Ur-Nammu, of the Ur-III dynasty (21st century BC), the Hittite code of laws (ca. 1300 BC), and Mosaic Law (traditionally ca. 1400 BC under Moses), all contain statutes that bear at least passing resemblance to those in the Code of Hammurabi and other codices from the same geographic area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

mjintellichristian

There are a lot of such claims about different parts of the Bible.

There's a specific term which was used by early Christian writers about such resemblances of the Bible with previous works. It has to do with the idea that God prepared the way for Christianity through various means, besides preserving the nation of Israel from completely walking away from Him. Take Greek philosophers for example, they had some ideas very similar to what the New Testament is teaching. Nobody borrowed from nobody, it just shows that God really is in control of all nations.

Why do ancient civilizations have similar laws to the Bible? Because originally the human race started with a belief in the one true God. But soon all nations, besides the nation of Israel drifted away from God, and God left them to worship the idols they chose.

But ancient people were good at passing on their stories from generation to generation. So they had some remains of God's truth left in their memory. All the qualities of One God, got broken down into a multitude of gods with only one quality apiece. Initial design of the heavens to be a place for the signs was twisted into astrology.

So there are bits of biblical truth in ancient civilizations, twisted and distorted, but remaining in their memory in some form.

And yeah Moses was not the first to receive God's law. Before him, there were covenants with Abraham, Enoch, Seth, Adam.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ANSWER READ SLOWLY

There are many of these types of accusations attributing many things of the Bible to older traditions found in other places in the world, but they are hardly “proof” of anything. If you read these typical articles, they are ripe with opinion, unfounded historical statements, and conjecture. About the only thing that is real is that there is such a thing as the 42 negative confessions which come from the Papyrus of Ani. The unfortunate misconception they give is that Moses borrowed from it, where Moses pre-existed the Papyrus by around 200 years. So if anyone borrowed from anyone (though this was not necessary) then the Papyrus (which forms a basis for much of the Book of the Dead) borrowed from Moses, and not the other way around.

It has been determined that the Papyrus Ani was from around the year 1250 B.C. (19th Dynasty). Moses on the other hand is believed to be from the late 18th Dynasty (around 1450 B.C.). The Bible confirms this. 1 Kings 6:1 says, “In the four hundred and eightieth year after the Israelites came out of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month of Ziv, the second month, he began to build the temple of the Lord.” Now Solomon began building the Temple (of course Muslims will insist Solomon never built a Temple) in 966 B.C., so if we add 480 to 966 we come to 1446 B.C. (right around the time assumed), which means had already received the 10 commandments nearly 200 years before the Scribe Ani even lived. This places Joseph as a Vizier in the House of Pharaoh about 1800 to 1900 B.C.!

Secondly, the 42 confessions are part of the Book of the Dead, which is actually agreed by liberal and conservative scholars alike (many non-Christian), to be a compilation which was not finished until around 250 B.C.! How many possible slight interpretive changes may have taken place over 1000 years in the copy we have in the finalized “Book of the Dead”? Parts of the final product could very well have been exposed to the teachings of other cultures.

Secondly, mankind also has an inner witness (a conscience) that lets us know that some things are just plain wrong. No written laws are required for these things…all people always knew that murder, rape, stealing, is wrong…even though they did these things. Deep down inside they knew. If an ancient man burst into the palace and killed the King, do you think the masses ignored this? If someone went to the remotest tribal people who never heard of our God and raped some of the mothers and daughters do think the men would not chase them down and torture or kill them as they deserved? This even goes deeper than just humans. Some animals (according to the Bible) have nephesh…this is a degree of affection and awareness of self. Steal some food or a female even from a male Gorilla and see what he does! Do you get the point?

Many of these things are built in and not uncommon to any man, in any time. Only the more pagan and God rejecting cultures become reprobate (they degenerate because stronger people find they can control through pain, fear and threat) if there is no intervention (Romans 1). Our world is sinking more into that same quagmire right now as we speak (not that it was ever eradicated)…only it is a very slow process because there are still many who know God. Now of course besides these inborn ethical senses, over time, any culture will come to certain agreements as to right and wrong or what is taboo or evil from their personal experiences.

Next, in the Torah there are actually 613 commandments and the Book of the Dead certainly does not cover or mimic anywhere near all of these. Even the big 10…

Where in the Book of the Dead does it mention the one and only true God of Noah and Abraham (men who already knew all these social laws from very long before the Book of the Dead)? Yes all these things, as well as even worshiping God alone (Commandment 1), and all about His grace and the importance of faith, and initiatory rituals like circumcision, and appeasement rituals like the slain lamb, and so on, all were known long before “the Law” was codified in stone at Sinai! They were known since Seth. This does not mean that God hasn’t spoken now to or through Moses to write down certain things or Himself etched a message in the Stones. Heck, I see God speaking to us through the stones all the time today (Archaeology)! There is no talk of these things in their book. No call to serve YHVH of Hosts alone…no commandment to honor a Sabbath day as a memorial, or day of worship, no command not to bow down to and serve gods of stone and wood or the stars, moons, and other creatures…the list goes on. So in effect…if you really look at them you can see many differences and very few if any real similarities.

So no just like we did not steal the resurrection motif from the nature religions (see Easter: Myth, Hallucination, or History by Professor Edwin Yamauchi) we did not steal the 10 Commandments from the Book of the Dead, or from the Code of Hammurabi…on one hand it was man’s internal witness of the Creator, and it was passed down in the teachings of their own fathers (Shem, Japheth, and Ham, the sons of Noah…the Egyptians are offspring of Ham). When God gave the 10 Commandments in Moses time, this was not the first time these people had heard of such things. It was not the first time anyone had senses these were the right things to do. It was the first time they were written down as part of a binding covenant with YHVH. They were to do those things and He would bless them and preserve them in ways unparalleled among your average culture (see Deuteronomy 28). I hope this helps.

Also about ten years ago there was a man out there saying much of the Biblical Laws were mere borrows from the Code of Hammurabi, and in fact, if you peel back all the pagan references to their pantheon of false gods and their misunderstanding of the true God that their people originally followed (also as sons of Noah), you find there are edicts within this treatise on Law that say it is unlawful to murder people, it is unlawful to steal, testifying falsely against another person, etc.! There are even laws regarding divorce, civil matters, and the use of a just measure in buying and selling. So by this alleged logic, that would mean that the Egyptians stole their ideas from Hammurabi? Well yes it does if one goes by the same logic! Finally, consider Confucius, who never even heard of a Bible. He makes many of these same types of statements concluding that people should not do to other people what they do not like done to themselves. Wow! Sounds like Christ’s “Golden Rule” to me!?! I guess this means Jesus secretly traveled to China and was taught or borrowed from this Confucius (DUH!).

Anyway do not be concerned by this, we get this all the time. If it were related to anything other than the Bible or Jesus they would not even care to make an issue out of it. For example, in school if I talk about Mohammed, or Buddha, Wicca, Voodoo, then I am interesting and may or may not be seen as a deep thinker, but if I even mention the name of Jesus or talk about the Bible, I am instantly seen as an enemy of everyone else and possibly a closed minded bigot!?! But that is the way of the world under the lordship of the god of this world. All his followers being lord over their own loves…be not thrown, keep the faith, because it will get worse as his time here gets shorter. They hated Jesus (and still do) and so, if you have His Spirit in you they will also hate you…pray for them.

In His love

Paul

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've heard this a lot...that some of the ten commandments were actually really borrowed from the Egyptian book of the dead when moses was in Egypt or something.Is this true? Does anyone know? And if it is true does it matter (lol) ?

God's laws were likely impressed upon Adam. Egyptians came later.

Upvote 0