Are St. Christopher still venerated and also believed to have been a doghead?

Elfkind

Jul 21, 2015
Bergen
✟19,493.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
S464__98859.1542220629.jpg

There's a widespread mythology of the "cynocephaly", that there were a race of man that had the heads of dogs and barked instead of talking, where there were debate of if these should be considered among the seed of Noah or to be considered animals, many believed the former, and that since stories was told (for example Marco Polo claimed to have seen the "dogheads") that the dogheads lived as ordinary people, working the field, raising livestock and living in houses and using clothes, this would suggest they were more human then animal, so often St. Christopher was depicted as being the only known saint to also have been of this race of people that inhabited the blank spaces of the map.

And I have to admit I'm very moved by how little "racism" there seemed to be in these times, and that even people with the heads of dogs was considered just as valuable as "ordinary" people, but later that the most civilized nation in the world came to the point where they built death-camps for anyone not considered "Aryan" enough, and therefore hardly not people at all, but rather described as rats, parasites etc. and only worthy of being wiped off from humanity. I think this tell a lot about how badly flawed the concept of people being "civilized" really is, and likewise how "technically advanced" we are, or "how much we know". Etc.

And I believe that we are certainly not very much wiser today then our forefathers were, even if we are quick to point out how advanced we are, and this post will probably make people smile with irony of the innocence people once had. So I don't know, but I almost take it for granted that St. Christopher is no longer believed to have been a cynocephaly. That we "know better now"? But how about the sainthood of Christopher, are there doubts about that?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,025.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that St Christopher had an ugly, brutish appearance, which was why he was described as a "doghead", not because he actually had the head of a dog.

8352.jpg

This is another icon of St Christopher. No dog head.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
But how about the sainthood of Christopher, are there doubts about that?

Not among those churches and Christians who, like me, do venerate the saints. :)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
And I have to admit I'm very moved by how little "racism" there seemed to be in these times, and that even people with the heads of dogs was considered just as valuable as "ordinary" people, but later that the most civilized nation in the world came to the point where they built death-camps for anyone not considered "Aryan" enough, and therefore hardly not people at all, but rather described as rats, parasites etc. and only worthy of being wiped off from humanity. I think this tell a lot about how badly flawed the concept of people being "civilized" really is, and likewise how "technically advanced" we are, or "how much we know". Etc.

And I believe that we are certainly not very much wiser today then our forefathers were, even if we are quick to point out how advanced we are, and this post will probably make people smile with irony of the innocence people once had.

I agree entirely. Even as our technology has improved, we seem to have lost, coincidentally, but disastrously, in my opinion, the wisdom we once had, leading to terrible wars and famines resulting from technological advances which could produce the opposite effect. I think it is not inherently the fault of science or technology that our social morality has collapsed, but rather this loss of human wisdom is the result of the growth of morally bankrupt materialist and Nihilist philosophies from the likes of Marx, Nietzsche, Sartre, and Foucault.

Upvote 0