Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Worthy of posting!

On the danger of small sins by Thomas Case

While our hearts are warmed with prosperity, we think many times small sins can do no great harm; but herein we do wofully deceive ourselves. For besides that the least sin hath the nature of sin in it, as the least drop of poison is poison; and that in smaller sins there is the greater contempt of God, inasmuch as we stand out with God for a trifle, (as we count it,) and venture his displeasure for a little sensual satisfaction.

I say, besides these and many other considerations, which may render our small sins great provocations, this is one unspeakable mischief, that small sins intercept our communion with God, as much as great sins, and sometimes more. For whereas great sins by making deep wounds upon conscience, make the soul go bleeding to the throne of grace, and there to mourn and lament, and never to give God rest, till he gives rest to the soul, and by a fresh sprinkling of the blood of Christ, to recover peace and communion with God.

Smaller sins not impressing such horror upon the conscience, are swallowed in silence with less regret, and so do insensibly alienate and estrange the heart from Jesus Christ. The least hair casts its shadow; a barley-corn laid upon the sight of the eye will keep out the light of the sun, as well as a mountain. The eye of the soul must be kept very clear that will see God: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God,” Matt. v. 8. Little sins, though they do not disturb reason so much as great sins, yet they defile conscience, and the conscience under defilement (unlamented) is shy of God, and God shy of it.

Thomas Case, Correction, Instruction; or A Treatise of Afflictions (1671; London: Religious Tract Society, 1836), pp 38-39.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The difference in how sin is treated by GOD is not found in the relative disvalue of some sin in GOD's eyes because all, any, sin has an ultimate disavalue to GOD. A jot of a sin in an elect puts Christ on the cross. A tittle of a sin in a non-elect puts him in hell. Iow, All isns are huge!

It is our relationship with HIM as our Lord and Saviour that differentiates our sins from the sins of those who have chosen to be HIS eternal enemies.

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟482,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So apparently you are of the opinion that God looks on your sin as no biggie because you are of the elect.

But Thomas Case is speaking of the Christian's view of sin, even little sins. Should the Christian also look at them as 'no biggie'? What should be the Christian's view of sin?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟482,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A jot of a sin in an elect puts Christ on the cross.

After reading and rereading your post I misread your post. I did not intend to put words in your mouth. Very sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟482,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The eye of the soul must be kept very clear that will see God: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God,” Matt. v. 8. Little sins, though they do not disturb reason so much as great sins, yet they defile conscience, and the conscience under defilement (unlamented) is shy of God, and God shy of it.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
If man is, by nature, ontologically good, then doesn't it follow that man can 'miss' by degrees, 'the mark' for which he was created? The elect of Israel remained the elect, even though blasphemy and killing a neighbor's ox were not recompensed in the same way.

As Christ said, some are guilty of a greater sin and worthy of greater punishment until they have paid for their sin in full.
The difference in how sin is treated by GOD is not found in the relative disvalue of some sin in GOD's eyes because all, any, sin has an ultimate disavalue to GOD. A jot of a sin in an elect puts Christ on the cross. A tittle of a sin in a non-elect puts him in hell. Iow, All isns are huge!

It is our relationship with HIM as our Lord and Saviour that differentiates our sins from the sins of those who have chosen to be HIS eternal enemies.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Worthy of posting!

While our hearts are warmed with prosperity, we think many times small sins can do no great harm; but herein we do wofully deceive ourselves. For besides that the least sin hath the nature of sin in it, as the least drop of poison is poison; and that in smaller sins there is the greater contempt of God, inasmuch as we stand out with God for a trifle, (as we count it,) and venture his displeasure for a little sensual satisfaction.

I say, besides these and many other considerations, which may render our small sins great provocations, this is one unspeakable mischief, that small sins intercept our communion with God, as much as great sins, and sometimes more. For whereas great sins by making deep wounds upon conscience, make the soul go bleeding to the throne of grace, and there to mourn and lament, and never to give God rest, till he gives rest to the soul, and by a fresh sprinkling of the blood of Christ, to recover peace and communion with God.

Smaller sins not impressing such horror upon the conscience, are swallowed in silence with less regret, and so do insensibly alienate and estrange the heart from Jesus Christ. The least hair casts its shadow; a barley-corn laid upon the sight of the eye will keep out the light of the sun, as well as a mountain. The eye of the soul must be kept very clear that will see God: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God,” Matt. v. 8. Little sins, though they do not disturb reason so much as great sins, yet they defile conscience, and the conscience under defilement (unlamented) is shy of God, and God shy of it.

A teaching I’m familiar with states that smaller sins weaken love in us and show a disordered affection to created things. They weaken us and dispose us little by little towards more serious sin, sin that does oppose and destroy love in us, “sin that leads to death” (1 John 5:16-17). Augustine put it this way:

“While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call "light": if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.”

• Informative
Reactions: A_JAY
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness of sins is conditional

2 Chronicles 7:14

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

True repentance means “turning from sin and obeying”

The definition of sin is breaking God’s laws 1 John 3:4, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Little sins get in our way and sneak in and go often unchecked and worm their way into our relationship with the Lord. Pride and arrogant thoughts open a foot hold for the Devil. If we pray and ask the Lord to forgive us of little sins and stop sinning, we must forgive other people their little and big sins. We have to allow for people to be human. Do you think you're perfect? Nobody is perfect. That is why we must remain humble and lean on God's light. We must not judge others.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Worthy of posting!

Thomas Case, Correction, Instruction; or A Treatise of Afflictions (1671; London: Religious Tract Society, 1836), pp 38-39.
Yes small sins are very very very dangerous,one minuscule sin is enough to keep you out of heaven completely,wether it be a “little white lie”,a theft of a friend pencil at school,taking a piece of candy from a store,quickly looking at a lustful picture,or speeding in your car.A sin is sin,no matter how major or minuscule.It’s a horrible offense to the Lord almighty.Repentance is key to overcoming sin.

In a way,when someone says “small sin” they really at most times are implying one of two things,the first being a “not a big deal and get over it” type of explanation or a “not as severe as major sins like apostasy,murder,cannibalism,etc”.Both are incorrect,for starters one implies that a person thinks “it’s one little sin,it’s no big deal,God understands” that my friends is a lie from Satan himself,anyone who continues on sinning after knowing knowledge of the truth,there remains no sacrifice for sin(Hebrews 10:26).That’s akin to apostasy,now I’m not saying sin is always equal to apostasy,I’m saying that if a Christian,with the aid of the Holy Spirit by being reborn and repenting(both of which aren’t works,but only for Enacted by the Holy Spirit) refuses temptation into sin,and continues to stay away from sinning,not sinless perfection because the Bible says that if we claim not to have sin,we lie,and the truth isn’t in us” (1 John 1:8) I’m speaking of serious mess ups,like accidentally loosing your cool or cussing.But continually making excuses claiming that it’s “just little sin” is no excuse and very wicked.

the same can be said for explanation 2,all sin is equal,sin is sin,there is no magnitude to sin.Lying is equal to murder,blasphemy is equal to Rape,Theft is equal to adultery.All sin is equally evil,wrong,and disgraceful.Sin is dangerous and needs to be put to death and avoided at all costs!

God bless!

-Blaise

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes small sins are very very very dangerous,one minuscule sin is enough to keep you out of heaven completely,wether it be a “little white lie”,a theft of a friend pencil at school,taking a piece of candy from a store,quickly looking at a lustful picture,or speeding in your car.A sin is sin,no matter how major or minuscule.It’s a horrible offense to the Lord almighty.Repentance is key to overcoming sin.
For what its worth historic church teachings maintained that absolute sinless perfection is not required, or even possible in this life, but that we be on that path, at least oriented towards righeousness now and living it out as we, by the Spirit, put to death the deeds of the flesh (Rom 8:12-13). And Scripture also lists the kinds of sins that will keep us apart from God, directly and intrinsically opposing and destroying, as they do, the love that otherwise opposes and destroys sin. So while no sin should be minimized, and while all sin tends towards death/separation from God, with the New Conveant we're now given the ability to overcome the sin, by virtue of union with God, that we could not overcome before, on our own, even as this is understood to be a struggle, but a good and worthy struggle.

And ECFs universally taught that we'll be judged on what we did while here in these bodies, as to our eternal destinies. It all begins with the first right and just step for man, faith in the living God.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I have learned is that a person who can justify any sin can justify every sin...Satan need only make it easy enough and cheap enough.

The person who justifies a small sin "This is all right for me to do" will, when Satan has set up the situation properly, also say of a large sin, "This is all right for me to do."

Reactions: A_JAY
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Epistle John chapter 3. Make a distinction between habitual sinners and the sinner. Christian people sin, we repent and are forgiven. These flesh body are sinful. The habitual sinners live habitual lifestyles. They don't care. Can we make a contrast between this??. Romans chapter 6. Your either servant of righteousness or servant of sin.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What I have learned is that a person who can justify any sin can justify every sin...Satan need only make it easy enough and cheap enough.

The person who justifies a small sin "This is all right for me to do" will, when Satan has set up the situation properly, also say of a large sin, "This is all right for me to do."
So which side do you come down on? Is sinless perfection possible in this life, or does sin, despite its gravity, no longer matter in regard to salvation?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe we have to take all sin seriously and use common sense in doing so. If I steal a car (Deuteronomy 5:19), I have harmed another person ( their livelihood, transporting their children etc.) & have to make most serious spiritual & secular amends and must seriously seek pastoral counsel. If I struggle with lust individually ( Matthew 5:27-30) at least keeping to the golden rule ( Matthew 7:12), I should take the Lord’s warnings seriously. While sin can never be excused, sins taking the golden rule into account can be addressed on an ongoing basis ( Philippians 2:12) & are addressable in prayer ( Matthew 6:5-15) etc. General confession should also be done ( 1 John 1:5-10).

Upvote 0