• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Are shorts okay?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by SeekingGloryOnThisJourney, May 29, 2020.

1. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney Active Member

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Exodus 28:42
    “You shall make for them linen breeches to cover their bare flesh; they shall reach from the hips even to the thighs.”
    On my last modesty posts, I stated someone in the comments said if you don’t cover your calves, God is surely looking at you with immodesty, right?
    (This isn’t MODESTY?!)
    This verse says other wise.
    Which means our culture has sexualized every body part.
    So yea, others can probably stumble from shorts. Some think of course, “MeN’s aTtiRe”
    What do you think?
    (P.S. this is generally curiosity, I’m really worried about it.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,039
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Exodus 28 provides stipulations for priestly garments only, in the Old Covenant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    True

• List
  4. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+3,074
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    This. The passage cited is only for garments of the priesthood, not the average person. Taking verses out of context only causes problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  5. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    True, but why would priests wear less than the average person?

• List
  6. LaBèlla

LaBèlla His will❣️my fate Supporter

+7,620
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I have never viewed a woman in shorts as wearing men's attire. You can debate the appropriate length. Many wear capris now. Personal convictions should not be generalized or applied to others. That's between you and the Lord.

~Bella

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  7. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+1,103
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    You really need to stop using Old Testament law, it doesn't apply to us.

It isn't about the shorts it's about modesty. Do you feel that what you are wearing is modest, that it covers you well enough not to cause your brother to stumble? Is the outfit considered to be 'sexy'?

We already told you that calve business was nonsense. Ask the men that you know in your life, does a random women's calf drive them to lust? If someone will says even your nose causes them to lust, will you walk around under a sheet? In that case that man has a problem that he needs to address for himself. Men like that would be driven to lust by a nun.

Just make sure that areas that you know will cause lust like your bust are covered appropriately and stop worrying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+8,941
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    “For Aaron's sons you shall make coats and sashes and caps. You shall make them for glory and beauty. And you shall put them on Aaron your brother, and on his sons with him, and shall anoint them and ordain them and consecrate them, that they may serve me as priests. You shall make for them linen undergarments to cover their naked flesh. They shall reach from the hips to the thighs; (Exodus 28:40-42)

Those "shorts" are undergarments, under the robes. So wearing more than the average person.

I'd recommend that you get yourself a better translation of the Bible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    True. I feel covered, and I’m not exactly worried, but like I stayed, curious.
    I somewhat disagree on the Old Testament thing, we indeed are NOT under the law anymore, but some of the OT still do apply to us, (ex. Love)

• List
  10. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What translation do you use, brother?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+8,941
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The ESV.

I would particularly recommend the ESV Study Bible.

• List
  12. SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

+252
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Lol I actually was originally going to use ESV for this.
    I use NASB

• List
  13. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+3,672
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    For the same reason that Moses had to take off his sandals on Holy Ground; it is what God prescribed.

• List
  14. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+3,077
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sackcloth and ashes is the more formal attire.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  15. WrappedUpinHisLove3

WrappedUpinHisLove3 Well-Known Member

+589
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    why would you worry about? it a minor issue. God not concerned with what we wear. our spirits go to heaven, so as long as they are clean is what matters

• List
  16. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+2,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Modesty and clothing is an interesting discussion. Check out this thread for a really good conversation about it, of which I'm afraid I may be on the losing end!^_^

The Stripping of Modesty

I suppose this question is good in root, assuming these concerns are about a genuine desire to serve God with our body, as opposed to simply irrational fear. I pray that greater holiness maybe brought out of all of this for all of us!!!:pray:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. WrappedUpinHisLove3

WrappedUpinHisLove3 Well-Known Member

+589
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    nothign wrong with being modest if it for holiness reasons. am worried that OP maybe doing it because she wories she might not make heaven? which is hwy i want to stress that modesty and ckothing are not salvation issues

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 Member

+190
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    They'd better be okay, because I'm not going to sweat and suffer heat rashes by wearing long pants when it's 100 degrees :D

People know if their shorts are skin-tight and cut right up to their butt cheeks or not. Wearing shorts to stay cool and wearing shorts to look sexy are two different things. Anyone who's walking around in Daisy Dukes and claiming they *can't* wear anything a bit longer and looser because it's just too uncomfortable, is full of bunk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. CaspianSails

CaspianSails Active Member

+181
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This is because of the fall of Adam. When man was created and in the garden, along with Eve, they were both naked. You will get a lot of different answers on this from it does not matter to an exact fitting detail in inches or centimeters. I wear shorts myself. When I was younger the shorts were shorter, now they are longer. I preferred the shorter ones when playing tennis. I don't play any longer due to an injury while playing when I was a bit older (not saying) and not stretching. Anyway, ask yourself if you are trying to sexualize. Maybe that will help. I go a bit against the grain as I think women should dress modestly and everyone with a thinking brain knows what that is and that men are responsible for their own thoughts as long the woman dresses modestly and the reverse is also true.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  20. Broken Fence

Broken Fence Stand with Jesus. He is with you in the whirlwind. Supporter

+1,107
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Modest Woman

She is happy