• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Are Schismatic interpretations...

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Justin-H.S., Nov 17, 2021.

1. Justin-H.S.

Justin-H.S. New Wineskins

+944
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    ....of the Gospel considered “a different gospel?”

*Orthodox Forum*

Since the schismatic interpretations aren’t the “Christus Victor” gospel that is taught in Orthodoxy, are they considered “different gospels?”

Is TULIP a different gospel?
    Is the five solas a different gospel?
    Is Post-Schism Catholicism a different gospel?

Etc.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Not David

Not David Orthodox Improving on the Faith

+5,037
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Just a consideration, Substitution Atonement is Orthodox too.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+17,301
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’d say yes and no. no in the sense that they profess the risen Christ as the means of salvation, but yes because none of those three believes correctly the implications of the Gospel.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,819
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If you look at the history of Christianity you'll find those who add to the gospel and those who take away from the gospel. You'll find that Orthodoxy somewhat adds to the gospel, but only in clarifying the gospel in light of heresies. The first line of the Nicene Creed is "we believe in one God...". While that is and always was a given within Christianity, it was "added" to refute the gnostic idea of two gods. But then the teaching that the Eucharist is the flesh and blood of Christ has always been part of the gospel. There are those who have taken it away and claim that it is not.

The gospel has always been guarded and handed down through Apostolic succession. At some point someone, somewhere, at some time, broke from that Apostolic succession and in doing so broke away from the gospel and into some "other" gospel. I do not know precisely what that point was.

5. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

+17
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    HTacianas,

Oriental, Roman Catholic, Anglican and some Lutherans claim Apostolic succession, and would make the claim that EO are the ones who broke from the gospel.

What is the Gospel to EO in a succinct form? Why are the other apostolic succession churches claims to succession not valid, outside your saying so?

6. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

+17
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Not David,

How broadly is substitutionary atonement held in EO? (Whilst I get Christus Victor is one way to look at the jewel that is atonement, the typology for substitution atonement is just so common in OT, that I find it hard to see how someone could fail to see it. I was talking to my son about this and could list close to a dozen typological references to substitution on the spot without any study on it.)

7. ArmyMatt

+17,301
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    because they have not maintained the faith of the Apostles.

8. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,819
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The gospel in the Orthodox Church is the same as it has always been. God has reconciled Himself to mankind through the sacrifice of Christ. The "good news" is that if one repents and accepts that sacrifice, through baptism all of his previous sins are forgiven. They then may receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Afterwards they are to participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

Other churches claiming apostolic succession are churches in schism. Schism is a split over some point or another. Schismatic Churches generally hold to the original gospel. And it is not up to me to decide who has valid apostolic succession. That is up to the Church.

9. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

+17
    Australia
    Christian
    Married

Thanks, that is the Gospel that I would agree precisely.
    Agreed somebody split, but everyone thinks everyone else split.

10. Justin-H.S.

+944
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Since many sects deny Christ’s descent into Hell, and that’s an important part of the Resurrection, could those sects be preaching a different gospel? I’d think so because that’s kind of a big deal.

And those sects that deny Christ left a visible Church on earth seems to be teaching a different gospel.

I ask because I was reading 2 Corinthians 11 and it made me wonder about what kind of different gospels are out there today.

11. ArmyMatt

+17,301
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    it definitely would seem like a yes for those who deny Christ descending to hades.

12. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,604
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Which sects are you aware of that disagree with Christ descending into Hades? That is a key teaching even in my old tradition before Orthodoxy (Pentecostal).

13. Justin-H.S.

+944
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    I think it was Baptists and some other group. I meant "many" because Baptists are a huge chunk of Americanity.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Not David

Not David Orthodox Improving on the Faith

+5,037
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Besides the Bible, plenty of Saints and catechism refer to that.

15. ArmyMatt

+17,301
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    it’s there, and we do affirm it, just not certain implications of it.

16. Malleeboy

Malleeboy New Member

+17
    Australia
    Christian
    Married

I was so surprised by your assertion that I had to look it up, it is a doctrine that I have never heard doubted in over 50 years of hearing evangelical preaching and reading. Yes there are some theologians who had an issue without it at the reformation and a couple of names in the present time, but the current ones are both Calvinists, so maybe it is more common amongst Calvinists?

The Hymn I sang growing up certainly reinforced the doctrine in my mind...

Up from the grave he arose,
    With a might triumph o'er his foes,
    He arose the victor from the dark domain.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  17. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,604
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I can still hear the strong four part harmony of my family singing that hymn together in Church on Sunday mornings. “Up from the grace He arose!!” :) I have the hymnal we used and enjoy playing some of those hymns on our piano occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List