Are rising ocean levels greatest threat from climate change.

Do you like the idea of turning deserts green as a response to climate change?

• Yes, we could decrease hunger and also help the climate.

• No, only by decreasing greenhouse gas emissions can we help the climate.

• I believe that Global Warming is a hoax.

• This is God's problem and we humans play an insignificant role in climate change.

• Yes, this is a better idea than a carbon tax.

• Well if we do it we should invest in turning Australia and California green first!

Results are only viewable after voting.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's hard to say that a specific element of climate change is the worst because all of them are interconnected.

Frankly, thing like the Clathrate Gun Hypothesis are terrifying.
Clathrate gun hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately the modern world is run primarily by machines that only function to create short term profit margins. A hundred years from now doesn't factor into the equation. And this thread is a good example of how effective those PR dollar have been fooling people into thinking it isn't happening.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really glad that you reminded me of this theory!

The clathrate gun hypothesis is the popular name given to the hypothesis that rises in sea temperatures (and/or falls in sea level) can trigger the sudden release of methane from methane clathrate compounds buried in seabeds and permafrost which, because the methane itself is a powerful greenhouse gas, leads to further temperature rise and further methane clathrate destabilization – in effect initiating a runaway process as irreversible, once started, as the firing of a gun.[1]

In its original form, the hypothesis proposed that the "clathrate gun" could cause abrupt runaway warming in a timescale less than a human lifetime,[1] and proposed responsible for warming events in and at the end of the last ice age.[2] This is now thought unlikely

Luke 21:26
Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have just read one of the most creative explanations for a totally different way of defining the economy that in theory could result in the financing of such massive projects as turning many deserts green..............

Legacy Will and Trust Congressional Bill - Legacy Will and Trust

Bible Prophecy Creates Financial Solution:
Tax the Dead...Eternally
"The Most Powerful Force in the Universe is Compound Interest" - Albert Einstein
A humbled interpretation of the Will of God submitted for Public Scrutiny
If true knowledge from God is to be accepted, it must interpret spiritual metaphor combined with scientific fact for the Will of God to be practical in the Evolution of mankind. Utilizing the mathematically proven principles of “Compound Interest ” and “Rule of 72 ” (doubling equation), this concept of bequeathing life long accumulated assets via ”Birthrights” (Personal Foundations/Financial Legacies) can eternally provide:
1 Taxable Passive Income to Heirs
2 Fuel Wall Street
3 Create Jobs
4 Rebuild Social Security/Medicare
5 Facilitate Welfare
6 Support Charities
7 Orchestrate Free Healthcare
8 Overcome Global Hunger
9 Unite World Theologies to Action
10 Answer the “Fiscal Wake Up Tour ” Challenge
11 Fulfill the “Last Acts” of Kings
12 Achieve World Peace
- all funded and orchestrated by the eternal COMPOUND INTEREST from the personal Estates/Legacies of the Deceased that collectively build His Promised Kingdom securing the prophetically misinterpreted Second Coming of Jesus Christ... The “Proto-Ancestor” to a spiritual World of Immortality. Hence the “Rapture/Passion” of the Deceased will erect His Eternal “Promised Kingdom” and create a Debt-Free America in 3 generations.

This is a fascinating idea.......that seems to fit in nicely with the idea that our ancestors..........................are not exactly dead.................but in fact may at this time be much like a theatre full of spectators watching how world events work out in our time period as the rule of Messiah Yeshua/ Jesus increases and increases and increases and increase....."of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end!"

Hebrews 12:1
"And therefore we also having so great a cloud of witnesses over our head, laying aside every weight and sin which surrounds us, let us run by patience to the fight proposed to us:"

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sea-level rise alone, and the resulting population redistribution would be devastating.

How many people live near the ocean? – Greg Laden's Blog

This is exactly what scares me the most as well.

I have read estimates that anywhere from twenty million to one hundred million people become climate change refugees in Bangladesh alone with only a one meter rise in ocean levels........???!!!! Truly scary numbers!!!!!

The only thing that has saved us up until this time is the 293 or so CUBIC MILES of ice being ADDED to the central region of Antarctica.......but this is unlikely to continue for much longer???!!!!

Expanded Discussion of the HAB Theory

"At a symposium of the Union of Geodesy and geophysics, Dr. Pyyotor Shoumsky reported that the south polar ice cap was growing at a minimum rate of 293 cubic miles of ice annually. To put that number in perspective, Lake Erie contains only 109 cubic miles of water. Thus, a volume of ice forms on top of the existing ice at Antarctica each year which is almost three times the volume of water in Lake Erie!.............."

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sorry, you four who voted it's a hoax. It is not a hoax. The data is too consistent. It is happening, and it is a fair bet we're to blame.

That said, yeah, I think trying to make the deserts green might be an idea. However, we need to be careful. Many to most such projects we have undertaken before have done more harm than good, so... I'm advicing caution. But if we CAN pull it off, it would probably be very good.

As to the original question: No. I am not worried that much about rising sea levels. I am far more worried about the possible consequences in terms of what species will survive and what will die as well as changes in weather patterns and their effect on life on this planet. I am also worried about the frozen methane currently trapped in tundra. If/when that is released we're in for a doozy.

I ran into a near death experience account again a few months ago after having not read it since back in the 1990's. What an amazing idea about helping peace to come to the Middle East through a deal between Jordan and Israel????!!!!

A plan to turn much of the desert of Jordan green..........would have to attract the attention of the King and political leadership of that nation........

Dannion Brinkley:
......................"Boxes four and five were scenes from the Middle East, showing how this area of eternal strife would reach a boiling point. Religion would play a large role in these problems, as would the economy. A constant need for outside money fueled much of the anger and hatred that I saw in these boxes.In the first of these boxes I saw two agreements taking place.In the first, Israelis and Arabs were agreeing to something, but what was unclear to me.The second accord was one that I could see in some detail. Men were shaking hands and there was much talk about a new country. Then I saw a collage of images: the River Jordan, a settlement from Israel that was spreading into Jordan, and a map on which the country of Jordan was changing color.

As I watched this puzzling collage unfold, I heard a Being speak telepathically to me and say that the country of Jordan would exist no more. I did not hear the name of the new country. (Dannion Brinkley, page 26, Saved By The Light, Scribd version)"

Israel confronts world hunger with a solar-powered desert oasis | ISRAEL21c

The best of Israel’s agri-tech and clean-tech innovation is combined in a new oasis system that could help feed millions of desert-dwellers.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
One concern I don't see articulated often is the effect of melting arctic ice on ocean current patterns. If it affects the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift, for example, I would be concerned about what would happen to northern Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
One concern I don't see articulated often is the effect of melting arctic ice on ocean current patterns. If it affects the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift, for example, I would be concerned about what would happen to northern Europe.

Ocean pater change (or changes, it gets nastier if it changes and then once we have it sorted out changes again), or the impact of fewer cold winter days on blossoming of fruit trees is the kind thing that I think will be the real problem for humankind.

And these 2 are far more apt to happen than the cheap science fiction kinds of things usually touted.

Upvote 0
K

Krummholz

Despite that fact that Washington D.C. is already underwater, the arctic ice sheet is nothing to worry about.

attachment.php

Attachments

• icecaps.jpg
    icecaps.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Despite that fact that Washington D.C. is already underwater,

Nonsense. Washington DC is well inland and well above sea level. There is a river that runs through it, as in many inland cities.

Of course, maybe "underwater" is a reference to something else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Despite that fact that Washington D.C. is already underwater, the arctic ice sheet is nothing to worry about.

attachment.php

Krummholz......if your images are not doctored and from two different times of the year..........GRACIAS A DIOS.....HALLELLUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

EXCELLENT question Joykins!!!!

I saw a documentary on how the summer melting of some of the ice on the outskirts of Antarctica affects the food chain.........it was astonishing!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

attachment.php

Another correct thing about your post is that yes.....the Arctic ice is nothing to worry about......it is sitting on water and thus as it melts has almost a zero effect on ocean levels.

The important thing is what is happening on the LAND BASED ice on Greenland!!!!????

Record Ice Thaw in Arctic and Greenland - WSJ.com

The Northern Hemisphere's largest expanses of ice have thawed faster and more extensively this year than scientists have previously recorded. And the summer isn't over.

Studies suggest that more of the massive Greenland ice cap has melted than at any time since satellite monitoring began 33 years ago, while the Arctic sea's ice is shrinking to its smallest size in modern times.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

attachment.php

You might want to check with some sources other than the one from which you got that graphic.
Climate change: Sea ice, global cooling, and other nonsense
The second claim that the Arctic sea ice is now 60 percent higher over August 2012 is technically true but extremely misleading. In the summer of 2012 Arctic sea ice hit a record low. Given just how extreme it was, it’s not too surprising that it would not be as extreme this year. As you can see by the graph here, the sea ice extent (which essentially represents how much area is covered by ice) was incredibly low last year and is still lower than average this year. Rose makes this seem like the ice is on a huge rebound, but it’s more like getting a D- after getting an F on a test. Sure, it’s better, but it ain’t necessarily good.​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As to the original question: No. I am not worried that much about rising sea levels. I am far more worried about the possible consequences in terms of what species will survive and what will die as well as changes in weather patterns and their effect on life on this planet. I am also worried about the frozen methane currently trapped in tundra. If/when that is released we're in for a doozy.

You, me, and our big neighbour, the Russians, who call it a national security threat. The thawing permafrost contains a methane bomb that will accelerate global warming and with Russia next door, it also contains a pretty frightening dirty bomb: the Russian nuclear waste and nuclear infrastructure buried in and built on permafrost.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You, me, and our big neighbour, the Russians, who call it a national security threat. The thawing permafrost contains a methane bomb that will accelerate global warming and with Russia next door, it also contains a pretty frightening dirty bomb: the Russian nuclear waste and nuclear infrastructure buried in and built on permafrost.

Excellent points!!!!!!!

It sure seems like investing like crazy in turning deserts green in the hope of capitalizing on some aspects of Global Dimming.......may be the safest way to go.

The nation of Israel had the highest level of climate cooling in the world over the past fifty years......This was attributed to Global Dimming.....but another possibility is the fact that Israel led the world in planting trees and in desalinating ocean water for agriculture!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"I believe that Global Warming is a hoax." appears to be winning the vote!

:doh:

Luke 16:8
And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It sure seems like investing like crazy in turning deserts green in the hope of capitalizing on some aspects of Global Dimming.......may be the safest way to go.

Or we could invest in oil spill and arctic technology. With the thawing permafrost, there's just miles and miles of oil pipelines ready to collapse and with the retreating sea ice, new and new Deepwater Horizons just waiting to happen and people to make handsome profit of the catastrophes. Why fight the coming storm when you stand to profit from it anyway?

Upvote 0