• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Are People Basically Good or Basically Evil?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by jimmyjimmy, Jul 30, 2017.

1. People are basically good

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. People are basically evil

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Deep down, most people are good

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Deep down, all people are evil

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Familial resemblance. . . Jesus said, "You are of your father, the Devil" to a group of Pharisees.

2. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+1,802
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What if there were 2 types of people on the planet?

3. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    He said this so that they would turn back. Christ is not saying that the Devil created them, but that they are acting as if he had.

Still no mention of God's image being taken away.

Forgive me...

4. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes.. I know people who have very bad tempers and short fuzzes and they will go off at their kids of even the most minor infraction... Later on they genuinely regret their hot hotheadedness and wish they where more level headed and calm when dealing with their kids...

I also know of drug addicts who wish they could never touch drugs ever again. But the addiction takes control and they find themselves doing what they hate..

Roman 7 gives insight to this phenomenon..

Romans 7: KJV

14"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. {15} For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. {16} If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. {17} Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. {18} For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. {19} For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. {20} Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. {21} I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. {22} For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: {23} But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. {24} O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? {25} I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

5. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    God created Satan. Does Satan bear God's image? Neither do fallen men.

6. RadiantGrace

RadiantGrace Member

+98
    Russian Federation
    Christian
    Married
    People are instriscially oriented toward the good. People that believe otherwise are projecting some form of psychological abuse or perverted religious indoctrination. It was this belief that justified so many of the evils of modern times such as slavery, libertarianism and the twisted sociology of Hobbes, Hume, Locke Rousseau, et al.

If you take five seconds to distance yourself from the idea that you should convince a person they are worthless unless they believe as you do, you'll see the abusive and twisted nature of this type of thinking.

7. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    non sequitur and offers no evidence.

Angels are the uncreated.

Forgive me...

8. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Angels are the uncreated? Is this EO doctrine?

9. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    "bodiless Powers of Heaven"

IOW ~ eternal

same as with the words "begotten, not made" refers to the uncreated.

Forgive me...

10. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
  11. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
  12. The Gibborim

The Gibborim New Member

+16
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I think looking at it this simply can lead to some miss understandings. If God created people to be basically evil then I think we have a problem. Here is a video that explains why God must be good and how he can only create good. Evil comes from twisting good things. Not from a evil itself.

13. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Are humans twisted?

14. The Gibborim

The Gibborim New Member

+16
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I think we have the ability to twist good. Does that mean we ARE twisted? No? I think it means we have free will. I guess the question is, from birth, do we have a propensity to twist good into evil or are we more inclined to just aim for good.

15. HeatRamosHidden

HeatRamosHidden Member

+63
    Non-Denom
    The fact we can be twisted means we are basically sinful. In God's standards, we are evil, not just naughty, because sin corrupts so badly we can't go to Heaven. That's why Jesus washes away our sins with his blood and water. It makes us comparably good compared to what we were before, but it doesn't mean our goodness originates from within us. Our goodness comes from the Holy Spirit, who lives within us, or to put it less incoherently, our goodness comes from within but it isn't fully ours yet.

We don't finish maturing into good people until we dead.

16. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,942
    Christian
    God tells us this about man and evil, and nothing has changed since that ancient time.
    Gen 8
    21 And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

17. _-iconoclast-_

_-iconoclast-_ I live by faith in the Son of God.

+286
    Pentecostal
    Private
    Jeremiah 17:9-10 - The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Ezekiel 36:26 - A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Psalms 51:10 - Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Proverbs 23:19 - Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way.

18. bling

bling Regular Member Supporter

+889
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Is a new born baby good or evil at birth?

Since satan is running around influencing people, how could we tell how they might react in a vacuum?

Since we are not born have Godly type Love instinctively (robotic type love) we can do nothing of real value, but can only allow God/Christ to do something of value to us. Mature adults start out sinning.

19. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Somehow, I get the feeling that no matter what question I ask, that will be your reply.

20. jimmyjimmy

+5,441
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    So true.

When we minimize our problem, we, at the same time, reduce the sacrifice of Christ. If we only had a head cold, then His cross means very little; however, if we have stage 4 inoperable cancer (which is far less serious than our actual condition) then His death on our behalf has greater value to us. When we diminish our sin, we demolish the work of our Savior.