• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Are PCA churches still sound?

Discussion in 'Confessional, Covenantal, Creedal - Presbyterian' started by Debp, May 9, 2018.

1. Debp

Debp New Member

+69
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I know PCUSA churches are very liberal, although years ago some tried to fight for sound doctrine there.

But how about PCA (Presbyterian Church America) churches? I have heard they are good, not liberal. At least in the past, I heard that....

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Paulie079

Paulie079 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,734
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I attend a PCA church, and we make sound doctrine a priority. I have had the chance to visit a couple of others and found the same to be true. There is definitely a focus on being Christ-centered and Gospel-centered that I appreciate so much.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+40,209
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    What has happened to the PCUSA (the church of my youth) began before I was born with their choice to move away from the WCF, and their denial of both the inerrancy and infallibility of the Scriptures. The liberal agenda took a few decades to get the head of steam that it has now, but by the mid-90's it was clear to me that I had to leave.

I'm part of the Evangelical Free Church now, but I attend evening services at an OPC church. The good news is, both the OPC and the PCA are still excellent, conservative Presbyterian denominations :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Debp

Debp New Member

+69
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    So wonderful to hear they are sound Presbyterian churches. Can I ask what the O in OPC means? I have never heard of that branch.

5. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+40,209
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Debp

Debp New Member

+69
    United States
    Christian
    Single
  7. Markh62

Markh62 New Member

+18
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Hello,

The PCA was formed back in 1973 as a grassroots, doctrinally sound conservative response to the problems of the PCUSA. We have our challenges, but God has been faithful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Markh62

Markh62 New Member

+18
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Hello,
    The 'O' stands for Orthodox. If memory serves, it was formed by J Greshem Machan and others in response to the liberalism of the 1920's Princeton Seminary and some of the churches. So liberalism is not new.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. LovesOurLord

LovesOurLord Member

+143
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    J Gresham Machen, yes. He founded the OPC as well as Westminster Theological Seminary.

• List
  10. grandvizier1006

grandvizier1006 Still a human by God's grace Supporter

+2,267
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I was raised in PCA churches. Their doctrine, as far as I can understand, is still quite sound. But seeing as I was younger and often not paying good attention in church back then, I'm not the best source.

• List
  11. Redwingfan9

Redwingfan9 Well-Known Member

+476
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    The PCA has some churches that are quite sound. The problem is that its synod has refused so far to do anything about the Federal Vision heresy and as a result it is growing in some PCA circles. The OPC has done a better job of weeding out Federal Vision heretics, so at least in that regard the OPC is more sound.

12. athenken

athenken Barbary pirates? Or are they?

+118
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    I have attended both OPC and PCA (still currently do) churches, and the OPC is much more strict in its adherence to the Westminster Standards. The PCA I attend also uses the Heidelberg catechism (which is what the Westminster catechisms are based on).

From my understanding of the PCA is that it is much broader in the range of its member churches as you will find those who have left the PCUSA because of liberal issues, but aren't so conservative as to approach the OPC for membership, to those churches that are pretty close to OPC standards but not quite. Ultimately the PCA is that buffer between the PCUSA and the OPC.