Are only Christian men allowed to remarry ???

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds kind of ridiculous but in 1 corinthians 7 these specific verses

“Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned...
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭7:27-28‬ ‭

when i looked up the word “loosed” in my concordance it means to divorce or separate if I remember correctly. So does this mean a Christian man can remarry “but and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned” while near the end of the chapter woman can remarry only if there former husband is dead.

am I seeing this correctly or maybe I just dig deep enough for truth

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
1 Corinthians 7:27-28 English Standard Version (ESV)27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman[a] marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

• Useful
Reactions: t4inted-
Upvote 0

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 7:27-28 English Standard Version (ESV)27 Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife. 28 But if you do marry, you have not sinned, and if a betrothed woman[a] marries, she has not sinned. Yet those who marry will have worldly troubles, and I would spare you that.

Thanks sometimes when I read scripture I cannot grasp the meaning of it..
I knew that what I read didn’t really seem right.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

“Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned...

when i looked up the word “loosed” in my concordance it means to divorce or separate if I remember correctly. So does this mean a Christian man can remarry “but and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned” while near the end of the chapter woman can remarry only if there former husband is dead.

Men and women are both free to remarry. Divorce is not the unforgivable sin. It's lousy and painful for sure. God is not going to punish His people. Jesus was punished for us already. Self inflicted wounds are painful enough.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Thanks sometimes when I read scripture I cannot grasp the meaning of it..
I knew that what I read didn’t really seem right.
yw, sometimes this page/ search at bibleg-way is useful for seeing a lot of translations for harmony of the meaning : at the page you can put in any valid book and chapter and verse...

1 Corinthians 7:27 - Bible Gateway

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

The only biblical ground for remarriage is if the spouse has died.

The only biblical ground for divorce is if they were an unbeliever and left (on their own terms, not yours).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Essentially it is saying “Are you married? If so, don’t seek to divorce. Are you single? If so, don’t try to get married. But if you decide to marry, you haven’t sinned”. Paul spoke about being able to focus on God only if you were single, but that if you have a spouse, you also have them to care for. He felt that it was good to be single, but also said it is better to marry than to “burn” with desire. That is the context of this passage, not remarriage.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The only biblical ground for remarriage is if the spouse has died.

The only biblical ground for divorce is if they were an unbeliever and left (on their own terms, not yours).
Also, if DURING the betrothal period (before the wedding / consumation)
one is found to be unfaithful. The 'divorce' is for before or instead of the wedding/consumation , as known at the time. (forgotten today it seems).

• Winner
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, if DURING the betrothal period (before the wedding / consumation)
one is found to be unfaithful. The 'divorce' is for before or instead of the wedding/consumation , as known at the time. (forgotten today it seems).

Yes, as Jesus said in Matthew 5:32. Joseph almost used this as grounds to "put away" Mary, his betrothed "wife" at the time, when she was found pregnant with our Lord.

Upvote 0

KeeperOfMemories

Nov 29, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you read the verse before, Paul says this is his own personal opinion and he received no direct command from the lord:

Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord’s mercy is trustworthy. - 1 Corinthians 7:25

I don't see anything about re-marriage here. Paul's just saying if you're married, don't look for a divorce (which is a sin), but if you're single, don't look for a wife (which is not a sin).

So, Paul's personal advice if you're single is to not look for a wife, but he said he received no direct command from the Lord. If you think you can live celibate, go for it. But if not, nothing wrong with marrying.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Apart from a situation where one would remarry if the first spouse were still alive, one is free to marry, and there is nothing wrong with marriage in and of itself, so long as it is not also adultery against a former, living spouse.

Divorced Christian men and women should not seek remarriage, unless their first spouse has died. Scripture seems pretty clear on that, one possible exception being a man being free to remarry if his first wife was unfaithful. This seems to be the only allowance, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery. Matthew 5:32

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If a Christian man can divorce, than the divorced Christian woman who'd been married to that man.. she can remarry just as her husband can.
How could it not be a sin for him but yet it would be for her? That would be a double standard. But God is no respecter of persons. Meaning, God does not make double standards... what is not sin for the husband is not sin for the wife.

You've inserted the word "only" which makes it not make sense.
The widowed woman can of course remarry because her husband has died. In the old testament when Ruth was widowed, she remarried.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If you think you can live celibate, go for it. But if not, nothing wrong with marrying.
In line with what Jesus Says:
Marriage and singleness are both GIFTS from Yahuweh, for those who can accept it.

…10His disciples said to Him, “If this is the case between a man and his wife, it is better not to marry.” 11“Not everyone can accept this word,” Jesus answered, “but only those to whom it has been given. 12For there are eunuchs who were born that way; others were made that way by men; and still others live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”… Matthew 19
Berean Study Bible · Download

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a Christian man can divorce, than the divorced Christian woman who'd been married to that man.. she can remarry just as her husband can.
How could it not be a sin for him but yet it would be for her? That would be a double standard. But God is no respecter of persons. Meaning, God does not make double standards... what is not sin for the husband is not sin for the wife.

You've inserted the word "only" which makes it not make sense.
The widowed woman can of course remarry because her husband has died. In the old testament when Ruth was widowed, she remarried.
I have tended to think that "Art thou loosed from a wife?" means something like, Are you free from marital responsibilities?

Romans 7.3 makes it clear that re-marriage in the lifetime of the previous spouse involves sin while the previous spouse lives.

Upvote 0