Are nudist church services morally acceptable?

Are nudist religious services morally acceptable?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 Timothy 2:9
9Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,
This was already discussed. Do women fix there hair, wear gold and jewelry and expensive clothing when they attend your church? That’s what this is prohibiting.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This was already discussed. Do women fix there hair, wear gold and jewelry and expensive clothing when they attend your church? That’s what this is prohibiting.
Sorry 'bout that.
I believe it's ok to wear jewelry,,,modestly, of course.
Braided hair meant something back then...this is where your comments about western culture come in....

In fact, in some parts of the world some do worship God nude, because they're nude all the time.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry 'bout that.
I believe it's ok to wear jewelry,,,modestly, of course.
Braided hair meant something back then...this is where your comments about western culture come in....

In fact, in some parts of the world some do worship God nude, because they're nude all the time.
And that has been my point in this thread—that those who say it is wrong by to worship God in the nude are doing so from a western cultural point of view.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Modesty is modesty---He is not saying here do not wear expensive clothes---go naked.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that has been my point in this thread—that those who say it is wrong by to worship God in the nude are doing so from a western cultural point of view.
I did say you were right about that...you must have missed my post.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They were sinless---we are not. They were in a perfect world, this is not. The first thing that happened when they sinned, they came face to face with shame and covered themselves up.

Exactly.. they were sinless.. while being naked..
being naked wasent a sin and it dident magically become a sin when they ate the fruit.

Their perception may have changed....disobedience, rebellion etc
but if being naked was in itself a sin.. then God caused them to sin by creating them in that state.
Dont know about you but God dosent strike me as the type to make us in his own image but sneak a lil sin in there without letting us know... then sit sniggering and taking bets with the angels on how long it will take us to notice......:confused:

Its also inteesting to note... that for all the people saying nudity causes lust... the countries with the worst rape rates are ones where people(women in particular) are required to cover up the most. Seems to me that kinda points to the opposite being the case....

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Modesty is modesty---He is not saying here do not wear expensive clothes---go naked.
@Archivist made a legitimate and good point.
Many women DO wear overly sized jewelry that DOES look out of place in a church setting.

I won't mention clothing because someone making a million a year is not going to wear the same clothing I wear; however, it should still be modest, even though expensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
No, all we are getting is your opinion.

It is all over the bible--only time nudity is mentioned it is connected with shame--In no culture where nudity was the norm---does it remain the norm once the Spirit of God has come into the culture--they always end up covering up. If you read up on Pitcairn--yes, the Mutiny on the bounty--When those sailors and the native women they married landed on that Island and scuttled the ship--they saved a bible----They had no known bible orientation before this. Didn't know anything about it. They started reading it---when they were discovered decades later---They were dressed and clean--following the bible. Totally different from every other island they went to that had not had the word of God. Nobody told them to cover up. They originally were not.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
being naked wasent a sin and it dident magically become a sin when they ate the fruit.

but if being naked was in itself a sin.. then God caused them to sin by creating them in that state.
Dont know about you but God dosent strike me as the type to make us in his own image but sneak a lil sin in there without letting us know... then sit sniggering and taking bets with the angels on how long it will take us to notice......:confused:

Its also inteesting to note... that for all the people saying nudity causes lust... the countries with the worst rape rates are ones where people(women in particular) are required to cover up the most. Seems to me that kinda points to the opposite being the case....

Of course----and once we are sinless, and the rest of the world is too--naked will not be a problem.

Yes, God created them in that state---after the fall He did not leave them in that state.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is all over the bible--only time nudity is mentioned it is connected with shame--In no culture where nudity was the norm---does it remain the norm once the Spirit of God has come into the culture--they always end up covering up. If you read up on Pitcairn--yes, the Mutiny on the bounty--When those sailors and the native women they married landed on that Island and scuttled the ship--they saved a bible----They had no known bible orientation before this. Didn't know anything about it. They started reading it---when they were discovered decades later---They were dressed and clean--following the bible. Totally different from every other island they went to that had not had the word of God. Nobody told them to cover up. They originally were not.
Again, forced nudity is addressed in scripture as being shameful, not nudity in general. Nudity is actually the norm in many places around the world.

As for those from the Bounty, they applied western cultural norms.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Of course----and once we are sinless, and the rest of the world is too--naked will not be a problem.

Yes, God created them in that state---after the fall He did nit leave them in that staste.
Again, forced nudity is addressed in scripture as being shameful, not nudity in general. Nudity is actually the norm in many places around the world.

As for those from the Bounty, they applied western cultural norms.

Forced nudity???? Does this say anything about forced nudity?

Rev_3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, God created them in that state---after the fall He did nit leave them in that staste.

He improved on the clothing they had created. However God did not order that everyone remain clothed.

Forced nudity???? Does this say anything about forced nudity?

Rev_3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Try reading it in context instead of as an isolated verse. This was the letter to the Church at Laidicea. They thought they were rich, but God told them that they were “pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” Yes the nudity was forced on them by their condition, that of being neith r hot nor cold.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a YouTube video about a church where the congregants and preacher participate in religious services while being butt naked:

Personally, I think it is morally unacceptable to have church services while in the nude. 1 Corinthians 6:19 says that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, we should not strip down naked while in the house of the Lord--or anywhere in public. That's weird!

The big problem is that a congregation that has come to that conclusion is basing faith on something other than Jesus.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To understand this, you would have to understand the entire mindset of non-sexual nudism.

Basically, our society links nudity with sex, to the extent that most people think of them as one-and-the-same. But they are not the same. You can have each without the other.

Knowing this (or being willing to learn it) liberates people from the "strip-club" mentality and inappropriate content-steeped attitudes of crude society. People come to understand that nudity is simply doing whatever you do, only without clothes.

Especially for Christians, it cleans your mind and opens your heart.

Nudity does not do that; Jesus does that.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
He improved on the clothing they had created. However God did not order that everyone remain clothed.

Try reading it in context instead of as an isolated verse. This was the letter to the Church at Laidicea. They thought they were rich, but God told them that they were “pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” Yes the nudity was forced on them by their condition, that of being neith r hot nor cold.

LOL! You can't even hear yourself and see the absurdity of what you are saying! Well---of course, God only meant for Adam and Eve to be clothed, not anyone else!! :doh::doh:
And, of course, being lukewarm always strips you naked!:sigh:

The whole thing:

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

This is the condition of the Laodicean church---that is this church at the end of time---wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
It used to be thought of as a spiritual condition only----I see now that it is also quite literal!!
When public nudity in a church is considered acceptable--it is definitely time to buy eye salve for the blindness! It is very much a shame in the eyes of God.
God hears us whatever condition we are in---nudity, through no fault of our own or in private is no shame--He hears us--to be willingly publicly nude---I wouldn't trade my heavenly reward to publicly display myself for it. Anyone else can do as they please. We will all find out soo enough.

And all those verses about not uncovering the nakedness of others---that you dismiss as only meaning that it is just referring to having sex---if that is all God meant, he didn't have to say to not uncover the nakedness of someone, He is quite capable, and has done so, of just saying--to lie with, to know, etc---to uncover someone's nakedness is a privilege that is kept to those that are married for the sexual union. Other than that---God always describes it as a shame. When He speaks of sinful cities, or of Israel when she goes after other gods, he calls her a harlot and describes shaming them with nakedness. He then always ends with He will cove her nakedness.

Eze_16:36 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thy filthiness was poured out, and thy nakedness discovered through thy whoredoms with thy lovers, and with all the idols of thy abominations, and by the blood of thy children, which thou didst give unto them;
Eze_16:37 Behold, therefore I will gather all thy lovers, with whom thou hast taken pleasure, and all them that thou hast loved, with all them that thou hast hated; I will even gather them round about against thee, and will discover thy nakedness unto them, that they may see all thy nakedness.

Hos_2:9 Therefore will I return, and take away my corn in the time thereof, and my wine in the season thereof, and will recover my wool and my flax given to cover her nakedness.

And why is it that you don't worship in the nude?

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It says nothing about cocaine either...
Is that OK?
Oh yes, nudity is a quality to drug use. This is what people do when they have no valid argument—they make unreasonable comparisons.

No, scripture doesn’t say anything about cocaine use, but it does tell us not to use alcohol to excess, and drugs would fall in that same category.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL! You can't even hear yourself and see the absurdity of what you are saying!

Are you always so rude? If I disagree with you, I don’t accuse you of absurdity but you have no problem doing that to others. Can you not engage in polite converstation?

[/QUOTE]Well---of course, God only meant for Adam and Eve to be clothed, not anyone else!! :doh::doh:[/QUOTE]

Please show me exactly where I said that.

And, of course, being lukewarm always strips you naked!:sigh:

In this case it did. This church was made up of people who had nice houses, plenty of food and money and nice clothing. But they were neither hot nor cold—so they were spiritually poor, starving and naked.

The whole thing:

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

I already quoted from that, I’ve read it. You don’t need to quote it again.

This is the condition of the Laodicean church---that is this church at the end of time---wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
It used to be thought of as a spiritual condition only----I see now that it is also quite literal!!

No, they were spiritually poor, starving and naked. It was forced on them by their actions or lack thereof because they were neither hot nor cold.

When public nudity in a church is considered acceptable--it is definitely time to buy eye salve for the blindness! It is very much a shame in the eyes of God.

So you are now speaking for God. That shows where this conversation is going.

God hears us whatever condition we are in---nudity, through no fault of our own or in private is no shame

Yes, only forced nudity is wrong.

He hears us--to be willingly publicly nude---I wouldn't trade my heavenly reward to publicly display myself for it. Anyone else can do as they please. We will all find out soo enough.

So God was upset with Peter when he was fishing naked?

And all those verses about not uncovering the nakedness of others---that you dismiss as only meaning that it is just referring to having sex/QUOTE]

That was another poster not me.

that is all God meant, he didn't have to say to not uncover the nakedness of someone, He is quite capable, and has done so, of just saying--to lie with, to know, etc---to uncover someone's nakedness is a privilege that is kept to those that are married for the sexual union.

Again, that was another poster.

Other than that---God always describes it as a shame. When He speaks of sinful cities, or of Israel when she goes after other gods, he calls her a harlot and describes shaming them with nakedness. He then always ends with He will cove her nakedness.

Eze_16:36 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thy filthiness was poured out, and thy nakedness discovered through thy whoredoms with thy lovers, and with all the idols of thy abominations, and by the blood of thy children, which thou didst give unto them;
Eze_16:37 Behold, therefore I will gather all thy lovers, with whom thou hast taken pleasure, and all them that thou hast loved, with all them that thou hast hated; I will even gather them round about against thee, and will discover thy nakedness unto them, that they may see all thy nakedness.

Hos_2:9 Therefore will I return, and take away my corn in the time thereof, and my wine in the season thereof, and will recover my wool and my flax given to cover her nakedness.

Yes, God described forced nudity as shameful.

And why is it that you don't worship in the nude?

Because we don’t worship naked at the church I attend.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Really?? It magically caused them shame. They went and covered up. Shame is a byproduct of sin. Until they sinned, they had nothing to be ashamed about. Once we are once again sinless, and the rest of the planet--then there will be no more shame. God did not create shame--sin created shame. When sin is wiped out--shame will be too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.