1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Are myths the basis of Protestantism?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Saint_George, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iollain

Iollain Jer 18:2-6

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    It matters to me because you fellers keep claiming to be the True Church that Jesus started and then ya do things that Peter would have thought of as sinful.

2. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    You stop claiming to be the True Church or start acting a bit more like Peter, imo :)

3. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    George, if you want to bow before Jesus, just drop right where ya are, He is there. I could find some RCC web sites right now that will prove that Mary IS played up as people make it and worse.

4. Saint_George

Saint_George Member

+15
    Catholic
    Broadway Actors are screwed:p

5. Kepha

Kepha Veteran

+104
    Catholic
    Private
    You are taking chances putting words in God's mouth like that.

God just doesn't do things without a reason behind it. When they looked upon the icon that God demanded to be made they felt the connection to God himself.

Same goes for the Ark. That and all things within were materialistic things, yet they were treated with the highest amount of respect, not because of the molecular cell structure that makes it, but because of what they represtented. They couldn't even touch it without death. When they had the Ark in their possession, it connected them to the Word of God and God Himself. No doubt about it, it was veneration of the highest degree.

6. Saint_George

Saint_George Member

+15
    Catholic
    And I could give you a website that tells people they can lift up their car with the power of their mind. Don't go off of websites, go off of the truth. Go talk to a priest at your local Catholic church, conveniently placed in every country around the globe;) !

Saint_George

7. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+15,358
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    No, the early Christians did not. They were Jews, and would have considered venerating images and icons as wrong due to the Ten Commandments. While there was early art work (though I don't how exactly how early), I don't see proof that they were venerated in the first century or early second.

As I see it, this thread is unconstructive, the OP offensive (even if he didn't mean it that way), and I don't see much point in it. As for what "myths" I base my faith on:
    [BIBLE]John 3:16[/BIBLE]
    [BIBLE]John 14:6[/BIBLE]
    [BIBLE]Ephesians 2:8[/BIBLE] [BIBLE]Ephesians 2:9[/BIBLE]

and so much more.

I beleive you ae referring to the serpent on a pole thing in the wildeness? (I had quit reading this thread earlier.)
    That was not worshipped. I read an article in the New England Journal of Medicine (or maybe it was a Infectious Disease journal - it was in 1984 so I can't remember) about a disease endemic to the Sinai pennisula. It is called guinea worm disease. What happens is that people drink contaminated water with the microscopic larva in it, then the larva latch to the tissues of the stomach and intestine and migrate through to the tissues below the skin. There they grow to 3 feet long. When it is time to leave, the skin forms a boil like lesian and the worm eventually comes out. If it is pulled - it will break and the toxins inside kill the host, causing a great deal of pain in the process. The only way to get them out is like Moses showed in the wilderness - put a stick by the lesion, and the worm uses the stick to wind itself around and out of the body without breaking. That is still how it was done.

8. Kepha

Kepha Veteran

+104
    Catholic
    Private
    Really? Where. I want to believe...i want to believe. :p

9. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Well-Known Member

+29
    Christian
    If you don't mind me asking, why has this thread become about the RCC? I believe Saint_George has the obligation to point to a specific instance of myth in a core confession of faith of Protestantism.

George, are you going to follow up your post with any specifics?

DM

10. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    I would talk to a priest of the RCC i love to meet my brothers and sisters in Christ, we would just have to stay clear of certain subject is all ;)

11. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    lol, but with all joking aside, there are real stuff on those real RCC websites that i could show you.

12. Kepha

Kepha Veteran

+104
    Catholic
    Private
    That wasn't the reason at all since it was done immediately after the Commandments were givin. The reason why making icons and statues were not done with frequency in that time, was because of the influence they may have on the many pagan converts.

13. Kepha

Kepha Veteran

+104
    Catholic
    Private
    Mm-hmm. ^_^

14. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+15,358
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    uh-huh.
    As I wrote, this thread is unconstructive.

15. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    Blessings to you,

Saint George continues to ask a series of questions to the Protestants but they dare not answer them. Not one of the questions has been answered. I believe it is because they know that his premise is correct. They do not want to show themselves following the teachings of man made churches. They want to continue to deny the obvious. The longer this discussion goes on the more obvious it becomes that the Protestants are exemplified in the original verses that St. George gave. they want to attack what they see as a speck in their brothers eye and can not see the log in theirs. Not only that, they are impotent to defend themselves against the cogent questions that St. George presented.

In Christ

16. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Well-Known Member

+625
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Having dealt with him and seen the lengths he'll go to, even using outright deception, I don't blame them.

Besides, the Bible says not to answer a fool according to his folly, so they're doing the right thing.

17. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    I probably have more than a couple logs in my eyes but i'm not the one saying i go to 'the True Church' when i get up on Sundays, we are just a bunch of Believers who will share Jesus with you, nothing more. I didn't know repent and believe was so very complicated.

18. Saint_George

Saint_George Member

+15
    Catholic
    I got distracted but then I put something up a couple posts back. It was something about what made Luther break away in the first place. He didn't like Inulgences so he formed a whole new denomination that was not comparibly close to the Catholic faith. So there had to be something else whether it was lies or myths flying around at the time about different interpretations of holy scriptures. And I also just thought that the verse fit the reformation really well.

Saint_George

19. Saint_George

Saint_George Member

+15
    Catholic
    And I believe you. But is it really worth it? There are 1 billion of us, a couple hundred going overboard isn't even my business.

20. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    Blessings to you,

This thread is certainly not an example of your accusations. He has been very patient with the Protestants who refuse to discuss the issue or even address his questions. If Protestants , in truth, are correct there should be no fear of answering a few questions that seem more than reasonable. The Catholics on here have certainly been forthright in answering the charges by the Protestants. Could the difference in response be that the Catholics have sound teaching on their side and the Protestants do not. Sure looks that way from this thread. The shallowness from the Protestant responses is woefully apparent and not responding in kind to the questions of Saint George shows an inability to defend with Scripture or reason what they believe.

You calll him a fool in blatent disregard for the rules of this forum, yet the responses from the Protestants make the Protestants appear as.........

In Christ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.