Are myths the basis of Protestantism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
You are incorrect. You are just mixing up the order of what I said. Look...

MikeMck said:
The problem comes when you pray to the dead so that they will pray for you.

You say that this is an "orthodox practice of Christianity". If this is true, why isn't it found anywhere in scripture?

I answered...

Saint_George said:
Sometimes Fundamentalists object to asking our fellow Christians in heaven to pray for us by declaring that God has forbidden contact with the dead in passages such as Deuteronomy 18:10–11. In fact, he has not, because he at times has given it—for example, when he had Moses and Elijah appear with Christ to the disciples on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:3). What God has forbidden is necromantic practice of conjuring up spirits. "There shall not be found among you any one who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, any one who practices divination, a soothsayer, or an augur, or a sorcerer, or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer. . . . For these nations, which you are about to dispossess, give heed to soothsayers and to diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not allowed you so to do. The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brethren—him you shall heed" (Deut. 18:10–15).

God thus indicates that one is not to conjure the dead for purposes of gaining information; one is to look to God’s prophets instead. Thus one is not to hold a seance. But anyone with an ounce of common sense can discern the vast qualitative difference between holding a seance to have the dead speak through you and a son humbly saying at his mother’s grave, "Mom, please pray to Jesus for me; I’m having a real problem right now." The difference between the two is the difference between night and day. One is an occult practice bent on getting secret information; the other is a humble request for a loved one to pray to God on one’s behalf.

MikeMck said:
So, clearly, as can be seen in your own post, #86, you did not answer the question but, instead, did attempt to distract from your lack of ability to answer the question by asking another, completely unrelated question.

Yes I did as shown above, and I then asked you another question.
Saint_George said:
Why isn't sola scriptura found anywhere in scripture?

Don't try to demolish our belief claiming that it is not backed up biblicaly when the soul root of your faith is based on a non-biblical belief. You wouldn't have to ask these questions if you new anything about the Catholic faith.
You say my doctrine is unbiblical, I said your denomination is unbiblical. Those don't seem to be completely unrelated.

I just didn't split up my post by posting a huge quote in the middle of it.

MikeMck said:
Really? Can you please show me where I have twisted anyone's words?

Sure...
Saint_George said:
You ask for an answer of a question and when it is given to you, you deny that the fact that it is an answer, and then try to prove it wrong with objects that don't even apply to the discussion.

twist....
MikeMck said:
Actually, I just demonstrated that you did not answer.

Arguement finished...

Saint_George

Upvote 0

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
MikeMcK said:
Actually, that's not twisting your words, that's being confused because you don't know how to give a coherent response.

I am tired of talking to you, first of all because you are acting completely unchristian. Second of all because you tell me I don't know how to give a coherent response right after you turn down 40 verses claiming none of them even supposedly support any piece of Catholic doctrine. And third, because after actions like that you are still to ignorant to realize what is coming out of your own mouth. I am through with you and I am perfectly capable of being able to respond. However I can get better cooperation out of a 3rd grader. Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. Stephen Vizinczey

Saint_George

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Saint_George said:
I am tired of talking to you, first of all because you are acting completely unchristian.

Really? Can you show us what I've said that was "Unchristian"?

Do you believe that it's "Christian" of you to make false accusations against me?

Second of all because you tell me I don't know how to give a coherent response right after you turn down 40 verses claiming none of them even supposedly support any piece of Catholic doctrine.

If you had been able to give a coherent response, then there wouldn't have been this confusion, now, would there?

You're right that I turned those verses down. None of them claimed what you say they did and many of them were just flat out out of context.

And third, because after actions like that you are still to ignorant to realize what is coming out of your own mouth.

So, what is it that's coming out of my mouth that's bad and are you willing to consider the moral implications of your actions here, as well?

I am through with you and I am perfectly capable of being able to respond. However I can get better cooperation out of a 3rd grader.

Of course you can. Third graders can't defend themselves against your assault on sound doctrine.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Mike said:
The problem comes when you pray to the dead so that they will pray for you.
Mike said:
You say that this is an "orthodox practice of Christianity". If this is true, why isn't it found anywhere in scripture?

Blessings Mike,

We will find it very difficult to discuss this issue unless we understand the terminology that the other uses. The definition of pray is to ask. Christians do not “pray to the dead” they ask the saints, who are those alive in Christ in the Church Triumphant, to present their prayers to God. This is supported in Scriptures:

(Revelation 5:8 DRB) And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

I ask you this, prove from Scriptures your contentions, that one should not ask others to pray for them. Keep in mind that St. Paul often asked others to pray for him and even attributed success to those prayers. UnBiblical doctrine, I don’t think so.

In Christ

Upvote 0

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
MikeMcK said:
Really? Can you show us what I've said that was
"Unchristian"?

That Catholic doctrine is made up.

Do you believe that it's "Christian" of you to make false accusations against me?

It would be if I did. However you won't give it up.

If you had been able to give a coherent response, then there wouldn't have been this confusion, now, would there?

I do not specialize in speaking the the Faithfully dead. Maybe if I made a Catholic ABC you would be able to understand.

You're right that I turned those verses down. None of them claimed what you say they did and many of them were just flat out out of context.

Of course they didn't. Your a protestant, and you have to protest. You are blind to the truth. Out of context? Atleast I can give you verses that support the belief of my faith without having to stretch the meaning.

So, what is it that's coming out of my mouth that's bad and are you willing to consider the moral implications of your actions here, as well?

You should always finish what you start, but hell is waiting at the finish line.

Of course you can. Third graders can't defend themselves against your assault on sound doctrine.

Judging by your level of maturity throughout this thread, your right. Ignorance.....

Forgive me,

Saint_George

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Saint_George said:
That Catholic doctrine is made up.

And this is Unchristian...how?

It would be if I did. However you won't give it up.
Actually, I've already shown you that you have lied.

Of course they didn't. Your a protestant, and you have to protest. You are blind to the truth. Out of context? Atleast I can give you verses that support the belief of my faith without having to stretch the meaning.

Yes, out of context.

None of the verses you cited showed anything even remotely resembling what you claimed.

You should always finish what you start, but hell is waiting at the finish line.

So then, no, you're not willing to examine your own actions.

Judging by your level of maturity throughout this thread, your right. Ignorance....

You know what? You're absolutely right on this one.

It was immature on my part to become more concerned with defending myself against your attacks than I was with defending God's word against your attacks.

And for that, I apologize.

Forgive me,

No.

I see no Biblical basis to forgive you until you show some repentance and show a willingness to stop.

About an hour ago, I got some good, Godly council about dealing with you guys.

I think I'll give it a try.

Goodbye.

Upvote 0

MbiaJc

Veteran
Jul 9, 2004
Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saint_George said:
Just a thought....

3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Thus says the Lord: 'Stand in the ways and see,
And ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it;

Then you will find rest for your souls.

But they said, ‘We will not walk in it"

Jeremiah 6:16

Saint_George

You could be partly right anyway. The Catholic Church is the only one I know that doesn't change their doctrine every time the wind changes. I not sure but I don't think the Catholic Church has ever changed its doctrine. Even some Baptist are now ordaining women as pastors.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
MbiaJc said:
You could be partly right anyway. The Catholic Church is the only one I know that doesn't change their doctrine every time the wind changes. I not sure but I don't think the Catholic Church has ever changed its doctrine. Even some Baptist are now ordaining women as pastors.

That is what appealed to me when my church of 50 years kept falling deeper and deeper into error. I watched it happen in all Protestant denominations. But, the Catholics and the Orthodox are essentially the same as they were in the first century of the Church or the apostolic era of the Church. Protestantism kept changing to please the congregants without oversight on doctrine or teaching. Consequently, they are filled with error and we see a church that searches for the right denomination to please their desires instead of a Church where they serve God. With the doctrine of Sola Scriptura every man becomes his own authority on matters of faith , morals and practice with only his lack of imagination keeping him from error.

Many people are returning to the apostolic churches for these reasons. They are seeking stability and the teaching of the apostles and Jesus. That can only be found in the apostolic Churches created by Christ and is absent in the Protestant Churches created by men. Just like the father of the Prodigal son we wait to welcome Protestants home.

In Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
MikeMcK said:
Let's take a couple of minutes to let this little gem sink in:
MikeMcK said:
So, the Catholic church has authority even over the word of Christ?

That it scary, scary stuff.

NO ONE said that the Catholic Church has authority over the word of Christ, that came out of your mouth. Jesus set up the Catholic Church as the protector of truth, the protector of the Truth that Jesus Himself taught.

1 Timothy 3:15 if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Do we know that the Church carried on the truth? Absolutely!

John 15:26 But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me;

John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

Ephesians 3:5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

For protestant Christians to believe in so many differing doctrines but yet think that is just OK "because the Holy Spirit has guided them" to believe what they think is true is proposterous.

What is the truth to a protestant then? Well, since protestants disagree on so many things, they don't know what the truth really is but yet they all claim they have it. How is that possible? It sounds kind of like that new liberal math where no matter what answer you give it's acceptable as long as the individual with a Bible in hand came to that conclusion for him/her self after asking the Holy Spirit for guidance. Give me a break.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
hoser said:
NO ONE said that the Catholic Church has authority over the word of Christ, that came out of your mouth.

No, actually, George said that, not me.

For protestant Christians to believe in so many differing doctrines but yet think that is just OK "because the Holy Spirit has guided them" to believe what they think is true is proposterous.

But isn't it interesting that we all agree on the essentials.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
hoser said:
As a "sola sciptura" believing Christian then I bet you are able to tell me exactly where in scripture what the "essentials" are. Where are the "essentials" laid out for us in scripture?

From Carm.org

The Bible itself reveals those doctrines that are essential to the Christian faith. They are 1) the Deity of Christ, 2) Salvation by Grace, and 3) Resurrection of Christ, and the gospel. These are the doctrines the Bible says are necessary. Though there are many other important doctrines, these four are the only ones that are declared by Scripture to be essential. A non-regenerate person, or a cultist (i.e., Mormon or Jehovah's Witness), will deny one or more of these essential doctrines.
  • The Deity of Christ
    1. <LI type=A>Jesus is God in flesh (John 8:58 with Exodus 3:14). See also John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8; Heb. 1:8
      1. <LI type=i>1 John 4:2-3: "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."
        1. <LI type=a>The above verse needs to be cross referenced with John 1:1,14 (also written by John) where he states that the Word was God and the Word became flesh.
        2. 1 John 4:2-3 is saying that if you deny that Jesus is God in flesh then you are of the spirit of Antichrist.
      2. John 8:24, "I said, therefore, to you, that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am, you will die in your sins."
      3. Jesus said here that if you do not believe "that I am" you will die in your sins. In Greek I am is 'ego eimi,' which means ‘I am.' These are the same words used in John 8:58 where Jesus says "...before Abraham was, I am." He was claiming the divine title by quoting Exodus 3:14 in the Greek Septuagint. (The Septuagint was the Hebrew Old Testament translated into Greek.)
    2. Jesus is the proper object of faith
      1. <LI type=i>It is not simply enough to have faith. Faith is only as valid as what it is put in. You must put your faith in the proper object. Cults have false objects of faith; therefore, their faith is useless--no matter how sincere they are.
      2. If you put your faith in a vacuum cleaner, then you will be in a lot of trouble on the day of judgment. You might have great faith, but so what? It is in something that can't save you.
    3. The Doctrine of the deity of Christ includes:
      1. The Trinity - There is one God who exists in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are all coeternal, and of the same nature.
      2. Monotheism - There is only one God in all existence (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8; 45:5,14,18,21,22; 46:9; 47:8). Mormons believe that many gods exist though they serve and worship only one. Therefore, they are polytheists which excludes them from the camp of Christianity.
    4. The Hypostatic Union - That Jesus is both God and man.
      1. The sufficiency of the sacrifice of Christ - The sacrifice of Christ is completely sufficient to pay for the sins of the world
      2. As God - Jesus must be God to be able to offer a sacrifice of value greater than that of a mere man.
        1. He had to die for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). Only God could do that.
      3. As man - Jesus must be man to be able to be a sacrifice for man.
        1. As a man He can be the mediator between God and man (1 Tim. 2:5).
  • Salvation by Grace
    1. <LI type=A>"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast" (Eph. 2:8-9, NIV).
    2. "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Gal. 5:4).
      1. <LI type=i>This verse and its context plainly teach that if you believe that you are saved by faith and works then you are not saved at all. This is a common error in the cults. Because they have a false Jesus, they have a false doctrine of salvation. (Read Rom. 3-5 and Gal. 3-5).
      2. you cannot add to the work of God. Gal. 2:21 says, "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" (NIV)
    3. "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin" (Rom. 3:20).
      1. "However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).
      2. "Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law" (Gal. 3:21).
  • The Resurrection of Christ
    1. "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith" (1 Cor. 15:14). "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins" (1 Cor. 15:17).
    2. To deny the physical resurrection is to deny Jesus' work, sacrifice, and our resurrection.
    3. These verses clearly state that if you say that Jesus did not rise from the dead (in the same body He died in -- John 2:19-21), then your faith is useless.
    The Gospel
    • "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!" (Gal. 1:8-9, NIV).
      • Verses 8 and 9 here in Galatians are a self declarative statement that you must believe the gospel. The gospel message which in its entirety is that Jesus is God in flesh, who died for sins, rose from the dead, and freely gives the gift of eternal life to those who believe.
      • Furthermore, it would not be possible to present the gospel properly without declaring that Jesus is God in flesh per John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8; Heb. 1:8.
      1 Cor. 15:1-4 defines what the gospel is: "Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" (NIV).
      • Within these verses are the essentials: Christ is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9); Salvation is received by faith (John 1:12; Rom. 10:9-10), therefore it is by grace; and the resurrection is mentioned in verse 4. Therefore, this gospel message automatically includes the essentials.

Reactions: Iollain
Upvote 0
MikeMcK said:
From Carm.org

The Bible itself reveals those doctrines that are essential to the Christian faith. They are 1) the Deity of Christ, 2) Salvation by Grace, and 3) Resurrection of Christ, and the gospel. These are the doctrines the Bible says are necessary. Though there are many other important doctrines, these four are the only ones that are declared by Scripture to be essential. A non-regenerate person, or a cultist (i.e., Mormon or Jehovah's Witness), will deny one or more of these essential doctrines.
  • The Deity of Christ
    1. <LI type=A>Jesus is God in flesh (John 8:58 with Exodus 3:14). See also John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8; Heb. 1:8
      1. <LI type=i>1 John 4:2-3: "This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world."
        1. <LI type=a>The above verse needs to be cross referenced with John 1:1,14 (also written by John) where he states that the Word was God and the Word became flesh.
        2. 1 John 4:2-3 is saying that if you deny that Jesus is God in flesh then you are of the spirit of Antichrist.
      2. John 8:24, "I said, therefore, to you, that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I am, you will die in your sins."
      3. Jesus said here that if you do not believe "that I am" you will die in your sins. In Greek I am is 'ego eimi,' which means ‘I am.' These are the same words used in John 8:58 where Jesus says "...before Abraham was, I am." He was claiming the divine title by quoting Exodus 3:14 in the Greek Septuagint. (The Septuagint was the Hebrew Old Testament translated into Greek.)
    2. Jesus is the proper object of faith
      1. <LI type=i>It is not simply enough to have faith. Faith is only as valid as what it is put in. You must put your faith in the proper object. Cults have false objects of faith; therefore, their faith is useless--no matter how sincere they are.
      2. If you put your faith in a vacuum cleaner, then you will be in a lot of trouble on the day of judgment. You might have great faith, but so what? It is in something that can't save you.
    3. The Doctrine of the deity of Christ includes:
      1. The Trinity - There is one God who exists in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are all coeternal, and of the same nature.
      2. Monotheism - There is only one God in all existence (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8; 45:5,14,18,21,22; 46:9; 47:8). Mormons believe that many gods exist though they serve and worship only one. Therefore, they are polytheists which excludes them from the camp of Christianity.
    4. The Hypostatic Union - That Jesus is both God and man.
      1. The sufficiency of the sacrifice of Christ - The sacrifice of Christ is completely sufficient to pay for the sins of the world
      2. As God - Jesus must be God to be able to offer a sacrifice of value greater than that of a mere man.
        1. He had to die for the sins of the world (1 John 2:2). Only God could do that.
      3. As man - Jesus must be man to be able to be a sacrifice for man.
        1. As a man He can be the mediator between God and man (1 Tim. 2:5).
  • Salvation by Grace
    1. <LI type=A>"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast" (Eph. 2:8-9, NIV).
    2. "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Gal. 5:4).
      1. <LI type=i>This verse and its context plainly teach that if you believe that you are saved by faith and works then you are not saved at all. This is a common error in the cults. Because they have a false Jesus, they have a false doctrine of salvation. (Read Rom. 3-5 and Gal. 3-5).
      2. you cannot add to the work of God. Gal. 2:21 says, "I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" (NIV)
    3. "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin" (Rom. 3:20).
      1. "However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).
      2. "Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law" (Gal. 3:21).
  • The Resurrection of Christ
    1. "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith" (1 Cor. 15:14). "And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins" (1 Cor. 15:17).
    2. To deny the physical resurrection is to deny Jesus' work, sacrifice, and our resurrection.
    3. These verses clearly state that if you say that Jesus did not rise from the dead (in the same body He died in -- John 2:19-21), then your faith is useless.
    The Gospel
    • "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!" (Gal. 1:8-9, NIV).
      • Verses 8 and 9 here in Galatians are a self declarative statement that you must believe the gospel. The gospel message which in its entirety is that Jesus is God in flesh, who died for sins, rose from the dead, and freely gives the gift of eternal life to those who believe.
      • Furthermore, it would not be possible to present the gospel properly without declaring that Jesus is God in flesh per John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8; Heb. 1:8.
      1 Cor. 15:1-4 defines what the gospel is: "Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" (NIV).
      • Within these verses are the essentials: Christ is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; 10:30-33; 20:28; Col. 2:9); Salvation is received by faith (John 1:12; Rom. 10:9-10), therefore it is by grace; and the resurrection is mentioned in verse 4. Therefore, this gospel message automatically includes the essentials.

Uh, OK. You give me all this and you know what? I agree with everything! However, I still fail to see that these are defined as "essentials".

Where does the bible say that the issues you bring up are "essentials" or in other words the only things that matter. And where does the bible say that any other issue is not important so we can believe what ever we want. Since you are a believer in "sola scriptura" you MUST be able to point to me verses that support both of my points. If you cannot point to me verses that say "this and that are essential" and this and that are "open to personal interpretation" then your argument has failed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
Forest said:
Jesus is the basis. Be careful what you call a myth.
I don't mean any of this offesnively. But many people haves said what you have just said. But Jesus didn't build the cornerstone of the Protestant church. That was long after his death. Jesus is more of the accepted leader. What caused Luther to want to break off? There had to be some words going around that gave him the idea to start a reformation. And according to protestants, if that is the word of man (tradition), then they are in no way true, thus leaving the foundation of Protestantism as a myth.

Saint_George

Upvote 0

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
hoser said:
Where does the bible say that the issues you bring up are "essentials" or in other words the only things that matter. And where does the bible say that any other issue is not important so we can believe what ever we want. Since you are a believer in "sola scriptura" you MUST be able to point to me verses that support both of my points. If you cannot point to me verses that say "this and that are essential" and this and that are "open to personal interpretation" then your argument has failed.

Very good. Also Mike, Where in scripture is the Bible alone theory? Is the basis of the leadership of the church once again based on something non-scriptual?

How do Protestants determine which books of the Bible are the Bible?

After reading Luke 1:48, why do you not call the Mother of GOD, Blessed?

Which Church did Jesus Christ found in Matt 16:18? Remember, He said Church, not Churches in that verse.

Why isn't the Gospel of Peter, or the Gospel of Thomas in your Bible? Who had the authority for exclusion of these and other books from Holy Scripture?

Which verse tells you that the revelation of Jesus Christ ended with the death of the last Apostle?

Why do you believe the Catholic Church apostatized in the past when Jesus Christ Himself said in Matt 28:20, "I will be with you ALL DAYS until the end of time." Please explain your response to this question.

Why are you in a Church which cannot show that it is the Church which Jesus Christ founded?

Why do you not honor the Mother of GOD when Luther himself said, "When you have said She is the Mother of GOD, you have said it all?"

Why do you believe in individual interpretation of the Bible when the Bible clearly states that this must NOT be done?
Acts 8:27-39, 2Pet 1:20, 2Pet 3:16-18.

Why do you follow in the footsteps of Saul and persecute the Church which Jesus Christ founded? 1Cor 15:9.

Why do you take almost the entire Bible literally and then say that John chapter 6 is figurative, when it clearly does not say that it is?

Why do you not have the Deuterocanonical books which you call 'apochrypha' in your Bible, when they are clearly referenced in the New Testament? This is taking away from the Word of GOD, which the Bible clearly prohibits in many verses.

Saint_George

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.