Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saint_George said:
But who decides what is contrary to scripture?

Saint_George
So...we're not able to understand ''dont commit adultery'' without having a priest tell us what it means :scratch:

I dont know, but the last I checked, it meant just what it says.

Do you think my ''interpretation'' of "dont commit adultery'' means ''dont cheat on your husband or wife" is contrary to scripture or not?

Somehow, I dont think this issue is as big as some of you make it.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Egghead said:
As a counter-question, who might be the ''wolves'' Paul spoke of that would strike the flock from within, after he departed, teaching distortions?

They "seemed'' to be christians, yet obviously taught things that Paul and our trusted apostles and our Lord didnt?

Any ideas?

Sounds like it may be the Reformers. Such names as Erasmus, Zwingli, Calvin. Interesting prophecy, sounds like St. Paul saw the Reformation coming.

In Christ

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
cristoiglesia said:
Sounds like it may be the Reformers. Such names as Erasmus, Zwingli, Calvin. Interesting prophecy, sounds like St. Paul saw the Reformation coming.

In Christ

Don't think so. They were getting back to the real gospel that was once delivered to the saints and away from unbiblical and contra biblical baggage. Yes, Paul did foresee the apostasty of all the cults and false religions coming, including Catholicism. Thank God for Martin Luther getting us back to the clear, simple, uncomplicated gospel. There doesn't seem to be much grace in the Catholic gospel, it's work work work, go to confession, do penance, say 50 hail Mary's, pray to her and dead saints, go to Mass, sacraments, etc. etc. and then you still can't know if you're saved or not (even though God says you can) and have to go spend a bunch of time in a mythical place called Purgatory while your relatives pay a bunch of money they don't have to get masses said to shorten your stay. If your church was really Christ's church and believed in such a place, they wouldn't charge any money. No wonder the Catholic church is rich. Contrast all that with the simple "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Who is perverting the gospel here? Not those who went back to the teachings of Scripture alone as the standard.

Galatians 1:6-9
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

What is the gospel?

1 Corinthians 15:1-11
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep F58 in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

Does this sound like the complicated process you find in the RCC? I don't think so. The RCC has all kinds of doctrines that don't have an ounce of biblical evidence and even contradict the word of God and yet the Reformers are the wolves in sheep's clothing? No, don't think so. If anyone has been the wolves in sheep's clothing and has perverted the simple gospel it's the RCC imho.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Lynn73 said:
Don't think so. They were getting back to the real gospel that was once delivered to the saints and away from unbiblical and contra biblical baggage. Yes, Paul did foresee the apostasty of all the cults and false religions coming, including Catholicism. Thank God for Martin Luther getting us back to the clear, simple, uncomplicated gospel. There doesn't seem to be much grace in the Catholic gospel, it's work work work, go to confession, do penance, say 50 hail Mary's, pray to her and dead saints, go to Mass, sacraments, etc. etc. and then you still can't know if you're saved or not (even though God says you can) and have to go spend a bunch of time in a mythical place called Purgatory while your relatives pay a bunch of money they don't have to get masses said to shorten your stay. If your church was really Christ's church and believed in such a place, they wouldn't charge any money. No wonder the Catholic church is rich. Contrast all that with the simple "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Who is perverting the gospel here? Not those who went back to the teachings of Scripture alone as the standard.

What is the gospel?

Does this sound like the complicated process you find in the RCC? I don't think so. The RCC has all kinds of doctrines that don't have an ounce of biblical evidence and even contradict the word of God and yet the Reformers are the wolves in sheep's clothing? No, don't think so. If anyone has been the wolves in sheep's clothing and has perverted the simple gospel it's the RCC imho.

I appreciate your opinion but nothing you say matches up with Tradition, Scripture or History. Perhaps a little more study is in order. You make all kinds of scurrilous comments about the RCC but you never back up your statements with any facts. I guess they are all just empty statements meant to denigrate Christ's Church. Oh well, may the Lord have mercy.

In Christ

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you Catholics here say and that's enough to tell me which side is presenting the "other gospel." And, yes, my opinion does match up with Scripture. I agree with the Scriptures I posted above which tell what the gospel is and it isn't the complicated unscriptural mess of the RCC. I've been reading a little about Martin Luther. Evidently the sale of indulgences by the RCC was the last straw.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Egghead said:
Somehow, I dont think this issue is as big as some of you make it.
Dear Egghead, if the issue wasn't made to be bigger than what it really is then certain people would have no power over you. It's the power and authority they want over people and they're used to getting it.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟106,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MbiaJc said:
You could be partly right anyway. The Catholic Church is the only one I know that doesn't change their doctrine every time the wind changes. I not sure but I don't think the Catholic Church has ever changed its doctrine. Even some Baptist are now ordaining women as pastors.

Hmmm... and what does that say about the Baptist faith? And you are right, Catholic doctrine has never changed.

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Holly3278 said:
Hmmm... and what does that say about the Baptist faith? And you are right, Catholic doctrine has never changed.

Actually, The Roman Catholic church has changed in it's doctrines. An example would be the "development" (which is in reality a contradiction) of the phrase "no salvation outside the church."

If the Roman Catholic church makes a claim to be the early church, then they also incriminate themselves of the doctrinal changes of that church, for example:

After the middle of the fourth century it overstepped the wholesome Biblical limit, and transformed the mother of the Lord into a mother of God, the humble handmaid of the Lord into a queen of heaven, the highly favored into a dispenser of favors, the blessed among women into an intercessor above all women, nay, we may almost say, the redeemed daughter of fallen Adam, who is nowhere in Holy Scriptures excepted from the universal sinfulness, into a sinlessly holy co-redeemer. . . . Thus the veneration of Mary gradually degenerated into the worship of Mary; and this took so deep hold upon the popular religious life in the Middle Age, that, in spite of all scholastic distinctions between latria, and dulia, and hyperdulia, Mariolatry practically prevailed over the worship of Christ. . . . The Romish devotions scarcely utter a Pater Noster without an Ave Maria,and turn even more frequently and naturally to the compassionate, tenderhearted mother for her intercessions, than to the eternal Son of God, thinking that in this indirect way the desired gift is more sure to be obtained. To this day the worship of Mary is one of the principal points of separation between Graeco-Roman Catholicism and Evangelical Protestantism. It is one of the strongest expressions of the fundamental Romish error of unduly exalting the human factors or instruments of redemption, and obstructing, or rendering needless, the immediate access of believers to Christ, by thrusting in subordinate mediators. Nor can we but agree with nearly all unbiased historians in regarding the worship of Mary as an echo of ancient heathenism. It brings plainly to mind the worship of Ceres, of Isaia, and of other ancient mothers of the gods; as the worship of saints and angels recalls the hero-worship of Greece and Rome. (Philip Shaff, History of the Christian Church, Volume III, pages 410-411.)​

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
kimber1 said:
:doh: how many times of us sayign we don't worship her will be enough for anyone to fianlly believe it?

The issue currently at hand is not Does the Roman Catholic church teach that it worships Mary? (which I should think that everyone here should aknowledge that they do not) but Does the Roman Catholic church, in practice, worship of Mary?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bulldog said:
The issue currently at hand is not Does the Roman Catholic church teach that it worships Mary? (which I should think that everyone here should aknowledge that they do not) but Does the Roman Catholic church, in practice, worship of Mary?

I would say that they do. Actions speak louder than their words of protest.

Upvote 0

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
Bulldog said:

AND THE ANSWER IS: NO!!!!!!

What do you not understand. You aren't even Catholic, you don't even know what goes on inside the Church from the looks of it. We don't worship Mary!! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! V WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T! WE DON'T!

Any questions?

Saint_George

Reactions: kimber1
Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even if we were to concede that you don't (and I'm not prepared to do that), the 2nd commandment is still being ignored here:

BeauraingP.jpg

FatimaCrowdSM.jpg

consecrationSM.jpg

charity5.jpg

charity6.jpg

Once again, actions speak louder than words.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lynn73 said:
Even if we were to concede that you don't (and I'm not prepared to do that), the 2nd commandment is still being ignored here:
But man has a reasonable explanation for that...right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.