Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint_George

May 3, 2005
✟563.00
Faith
Catholic
Just a thought....

3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2 Timothy 4:3-4

"Thus says the Lord: 'Stand in the ways and see,
And ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it;

Then you will find rest for your souls.

But they said, ‘We will not walk in it"

Jeremiah 6:16

Saint_George

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Saint_George said:
Just a thought....

3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Saint_George

Yeah - we silly Protestants believe Jesus is the Son of God, born to a virgin, who died for our sins, and rose from the dead, and now sits at the right hand of God interceding for us.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn't call them myths, the apparations we reject (for example) are probably more real, but not the people you think they are, definitely spiritual activity of some sort but not godly. So the things we protest are usually real things. The things i protest against did not come from others opinions so it can't be itchy ears, but rather how the Bible seems not to support the things i protest against, which is why you call me a Protestant.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Iollain said:
I wouldn't call them myths, the apparations we reject (for example) are probably more real, but not the people you think they are, definitely spiritual activity of some sort but not godly. So the things we protest are usually real things. The things i protest against did not come from others opinions so it can't be itchy ears, but rather how the Bible seems not to support the things i protest against, which is why you call me a Protestant.

Very few if any Protestants protest these days.

When is the last time you heard of a Proestant protesting?

Upvote 0

Abiel

Missionary
Jul 24, 2004
East Anglia
✟38,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saint_George said:
Just a thought....

Saint_George

Given that the OT is stuffed with examples of God's people turning away to follow other paths, I reckon it goes a lot further back than the Middle Ages. People have always wandered and followed other paths, otherwise who was Jeremiah talking too? The epistles often address wandering and they are first century. So no, I don't think Protestants can claim title to being the followers of myths that Timothy is refering to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah really though

Main Entry: myth
Pronunciation: 'mith
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek mythos
1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : PARABLE, ALLEGORY
2 a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism -- Orde Coombs> b : an unfounded or false notion
3 : a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
4 : the whole body of myths

Saint George, you sure your not the myth follower?

Upvote 0

Kepha

Veteran
Feb 3, 2005
Canada
✟17,719.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
FreeinChrist said:
Yeah - we silly Protestants believe Jesus is the Son of God, born to a virgin, who died for our sins, and rose from the dead, and now sits at the right hand of God interceding for us.
Indeed, yet many protestants do believe in myths such as: The Holy Eucharist is not the true Body, Blood, and Divinity of Christ, Confessions to His Ministers are not necessary, Infallibility of His Church is a fable, the Regeneration of Baptism is bogus, Infant Baptism is a tradition of man, Salvation as a Process is wrong, Divorce can be acceptable, Mary is now not the Mother of the eternal God, Purgatory does not exist, Intercessary prayers by the Saints is hogwash, Mary wasn't always a virgin, predestination exists, the Bible alone is all you need, etc. etc.

Reactions: CrystalBrooke
Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
What is the point of this thread? To bash Protestants? Why do that when we could be bashing the Orthodox? I know - let's just accuse each other of heresy and be done with it?

I'll start - everybody else but me is a heretic. There, done it. You're all heretics but me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pac Shady

Jul 18, 2005
Cairns, Australia
Visit site
✟15,591.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Democrats
Wasn't the reason Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Catholic Church to begin with because he believed Christians have a right to read the Bible, and the Catholic Church in their wisdom said the average Christian wasn't worthy to read the Word of God themselves and needed it administered to them through the clergy?

Thank God for Protestantism, now I can read my own Bible!

God Bless

'Shady

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Wasn't the reason Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Catholic Church to begin with because he believed Christians have a right to read the Bible,

It was a bit more complicated than that, I seem to remember. What was that about Protestants believing in myths?

But carry on; let's have a Cath vs Prod boxing match. I'll be selling tickets for it. Send your cheques for $50 to me, and I'll get you a ringside seat.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Kepha said:
Indeed, yet many of you silly protestants do believe in myths such as: The Holy Eucharist is not the true Body, Blood, and Divinity of Christ, Confessions to His Ministers are not necessary, Infallibility of His Church is a fable, the Regeneration of Baptism is bogus, Infant Baptism is a tradition of man, Salvation as a Process is wrong, Divorce can be acceptable, Mary is now not the Mother of the eternal God, Purgatory does not exist, Intercessary prayers by the Saints is hogwash, Mary wasn't always a virgin, predestination exists, the Bible alone is all you need, etc. etc.

Show me where they're found in the Bible and I'll believe them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.