Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We just found out that we have mice in our house :sick::confounded::fearscream:.

My wife and I were discussing the theological significance of this the other night and it got me thinking. I know that Yahweh sent mice in order to harass the Philistines (God's judgment upon them). Which reminds me that Yahweh can do more with an army of mice than any king can do with an army of warriors. But I don't believe that we have mice because God is judging us.

However, God may be disciplining us and weaning us off an inappropriate attachment to this world. Our loving Father might certainly do such a thing.

But then I got to thinking about Satan. Some people, when facing an issue like this, might be inclined to think that this is spiritual warfare and that Satan sent these mice to harass them and goad them toward unbelief and sin.

But is this biblical? Satan, through his lies and schemes, certainly is able to have an influence over people. But Satan cannot command anything in creation. He has no control over mice, wind, waves, or anything else. All of creation is under Yahweh's control. Even when Satan harassed Job he had to get Yahweh's permission.

So do I have mice because God is judging me, because God is disciplining me, or because Satan is harassing me? Or some combination?

Discuss.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We just found out that we have mice in our house :sick::confounded::fearscream:.

My wife and I were discussing the theological significance of this the other night and it got me thinking. I know that Yahweh sent mice in order to harass the Philistines (God's judgment upon them). Which reminds me that Yahweh can do more with an army of mice than any king can do with an army of warriors. But I don't believe that we have mice because God is judging us.

However, God may be disciplining us and weaning us off an inappropriate attachment to this world. Our loving Father might certainly do such a thing.

But then I got to thinking about Satan. Some people, when facing an issue like this, might be inclined to think that this is spiritual warfare and that Satan sent these mice to harass them and goad them toward unbelief and sin.

But is this biblical? Satan, through his lies and schemes, certainly is able to have an influence over people. But Satan cannot command anything in creation. He has no control over mice, wind, waves, or anything else. All of creation is under Yahweh's control. Even when Satan harassed Job he had to get Yahweh's permission.

So do I have mice because God is judging me, because God is disciplining me, or because Satan is harassing me? Or some combination?

Discuss.

What about natural causes? Mice often move into houses from the fields when the weather changes, or when fields are worked, or from other buildings when disturbed or for any other change in their environment.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What about natural causes? Mice often move into houses from the fields when the weather changes, or when fields are worked, or from other buildings when disturbed or for any other change in their environment.

I don't believe in anything like "natural causes" if this means events in which God is not involved.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...So do I have mice because God is judging me, because God is disciplining me, or because Satan is harassing me? Or some combination?

Discuss.

It is said:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.

1 John 3:7-10

Do they sin? If not, then it may be that they are not from Satan. :)

Upvote 0

A71

Mar 8, 2017
Europe
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On a serious note, mice are lovely creatures. Our cat brought one in, and lost it. We found him camped behind the washing machine where he had collected supplies of cat biscuits. I caught him or her and took him into a field to release, whereupon he tapped me on the palm, and pointed in the other direction, so I trekked back and dropped him at the other end of the garden, much to his approval.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in anything like "natural causes" if this means events in which God is not involved.

Do you think that God directs every element of the environment all the time? I suppose God is involved in everything in the sense of his being present and sustaining life, but passages like Genesis 1:21-22 suggest that he let the natural world develop and behave according to natural patterns.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So do I have mice because God is judging me, because God is disciplining me, or because Satan is harassing me?
None of the above.
Bad things happen.
God does not bring bad things into our life.
He does use the the bad things to teach us and mold us.
Just as a parent would not do something bad to there child like give them a disease or break a limb to teach them a lesson.
But if a child has something like this happen to them, the parent can use this time to draw closer to the child.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Discuss.

Perhaps He is driving the point home of how disadvantageous it is to not have a cat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Auriga

Capella
Jun 22, 2015
USA
✟9,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Have there been other instances where something happened that you would ask if God was trying to tell you something? Have you been been bitten by a mosquito, had a fly buzzing around your house you couldn't catch, or saw a squirrel run through your yard? Do you think all of these have a specific meaning from God?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Discuss.

Maybe God sent you into the lives of these mice to harass and cast judgment upon them

Upvote 0