NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't quite understand the history here - Anabaptists were before the reformation, but the modern Baptist church behaves very much like a reformed church.
Anyone know about this?
It is an interesting question and I was Southern Baptist by baptism but a christian by new birth. One of the major differences I see is that anabaptist historically have not aligned themselves with earthly ( think political ) power whereas many of the baptist see their calling as influencing the world through their ability to elect officials who would represent their "kingdom view . " Regarding theology , too many baptist groups to be able to differentiate but as in everything , the loudest and most visible typically influence others ...here in the US , that would be southern baptist. ( Billy Graham , Jerry Falwell ) Calvinism and a once saved always saved understanding . Patriotism is also a hallmark of this understanding but I believe the early "american baptist " held to a separation of church and state. ( Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island was an one time baptist. ) Due to an emphasis on evangelism ( and the american capital to fund it ) many have been influenced across the world by the baptist understanding .

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's not start an argument, eh? I was just wondering about the history.
There is a few that believe we came down from montantiat, dontanist, paulicans , waldenses...etc..so we were not actually part of the Reformation because we were never Catholic...but that is the minority...and sometimes being a minority isn't wrong

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are also large, though loose, networks of ideas and influences, spread by books and online sermons.

The Presbyterian and Baptist worlds actually influence each other in several ways.

Here where I am Presbyterian seem to be more on the liberal side...or maybe was because she was Cumberland Presbyterian..she always made sure I included Cumberland...guessing there is a difference..

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here where I am Presbyterian seem to be more on the liberal side...

I'm not sure what you mean.

The PCUSA and Cumberland are liberal/mainline Presbyterian.

The PCA, OPC, BP, RPC, and many other smaller denominations are conservative/evangelical Presbyterian.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People we're saying that they are only baptist bc of infant baptism ...here in South we are more conservative...

Huh? What do you mean?

When I was talking about Baptists being influenced by Presbyterians, I was thinking mainly of conservative Baptists like Albert Mohler.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Huh? What do you mean?

When I was talking about Baptists being influenced by Presbyterians, I was thinking mainly of conservative Baptists like Albert Mohler.
Why would you say Al Mohler was influenced by Presbyterians? I know that the 1689 and the Westminster are very similar but in the area of “necessary consequence” they differ. That is because Presbyterians derive their Covenant Theology by “necessary consequence”. The writers of the 1689 were careful to not use such language. I posted earlier a link to how Baptist Covenant Theology differs from Presbyterians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvinist Baptists and Calvinist Presbyterians influence each other. They read each other's books.
Only on the subject of soteriology. Though reading Presbyterians defending paedobaptism taught me a lot about their theology. I also have a problem with both sides quoting the confessions before they quote the Scriptures.

Upvote 0