Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you are right about Baptist denominations sometimes having denominational bodies administered by denominational officials. I am curious to know if you think that there is such a thing as a "reformed Baptist"?

As I said, many of the people who call themselves that differ from Presbyterians only on the infant baptism issue.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I said, many of the people who call themselves that differ from Presbyterians only on the infant baptism issue.
I know that some of the Reformed from Dutch backgrounds deny the possibility of "Reformed Baptists" existing because of the baptism issue and its related theology.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That must be why this forum has no box for me... someone decided I can't be a reformed baptist.

If you're a reformed Baptist, you have iirc the choice of "Baptist" or "Calvinist tags. We certainly have (or had) many reformed Baptists on this forum.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Baptist churches I grew up in (Independent) and spent 50 years of life in (later SBC) where a mix of Arminian/Calvinistic influence. Most held a concept of free will but believed in the T,I, &P of the TULIP. They would reject the "L" in that Christ died for all, not merely the elect. Maybe that's regional (TN/GA).

Trying to reconcile the differences, scripturally and historically, were part of the journey to where I am.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you're a reformed Baptist, you have iirc the choice of "Baptist" or "Calvinist tags. We certainly have (or had) many reformed Baptists on this forum.

When I joined the forum all I knew was that I was reformed baptist or a form of primitive Baptist and that was different from other Baptists who were freewill dispensationalists and Baptists who were KJVO and what I think are also fundamentalists (not sure on that later tag)..

I wasn't thinking about "Calvinist" being a tag all its own.. I was just stuck on there was no tag for the right kind of Baptist.. lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I joined the forum all I knew was that I was reformed baptist or a form of primitive Baptist and that was different from other Baptists who were freewill dispensationalists and Baptists who were KJVO and what I think are also fundamentalists (not sure on that later tag)..

I wasn't thinking about "Calvinist" being a tag all its own.. I was just stuck on there was no tag for the right kind of Baptist.. lol.

Historically, we've had tags for everything that sufficient people wanted. It used to be complicated by the fact that each tag had to have a little picture to go with it (like a tulip for Calvinists, iirc).

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Historically, we've had tags for everything that sufficient people wanted. It used to be complicated by the fact that each tag had to have a little picture to go with it (like a tulip for Calvinists, iirc).

Well, I'm not as apt with some things as perhaps I could be. This is all new to me overall..

What I know of Baptist churches is local, and how people word their church signs (to avoid the stranger walking into the wrong church.).

This forum just didn't have my church sign, so I was confused. I'm still a reasonably new Christian.. lol. Just didn't want people thinking I was something I wasnt..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I know of Baptist churches is local, and how people word their church signs

There are also large, though loose, networks of ideas and influences, spread by books and online sermons.

The Presbyterian and Baptist worlds actually influence each other in several ways.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious to understand what the heart and star things are on our name-tag area. I have 77,710.00 hearts and 775 stars. What's it all mean?

Stars are "likes," I think.

Hearts are "blessings," which used to be a major feature of CF (you could give them to newcomers and trade them in for stuff). That aspect of CF vanished several years ago, though.

Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stars are "likes," I think.

Hearts are "blessings," which used to be a major feature of CF (you could give them to newcomers and trade them in for stuff). That aspect of CF vanished several years ago, though.
so, nobody likes me!!!!

*weeps*

;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
so, nobody likes me!!!!

*weeps*

;)

Yeah, don't make too much of it. I spent a little time trying to figure out what kinds of posts get liked more often, and it doesn't amount to much. Likes are granted most to the people who post earliest in the thread. People who post late or get really invested in the discussion get a lower ratio. Multiple posts from the same person in the same thread garner a lower like-to-post ratio. Having a small supportive group helps, when they like everything you say because you're one of them. Posting only in non-controversial threads gets you nowhere. Strong opinions get more likes, even if most people disagree with you, because there's no "dislike" option.

You get the idea.

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was just under the impression that most Baptists were more inclined to Arminian theology,

My brother helped build a large Baptist church in Alabama and they sure seem to lean that way. An altar call every week.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't quite understand the history here - Anabaptists were before the reformation, but the modern Baptist church behaves very much like a reformed church.
Anyone know about this?
You never did get your answer did you? Let me do my best then.

There are three different views of Baptist history:
There is the spiritual kinship view;
The English Separatists view
The Trail of blood view.

I hold to the spiritual kinship view which simply trace our Baptist history back through groups such as the Paulicans and others who held to baptistic teachings since the Apostles.

The English Separatists view starts when the name Baptist actually began to be used. They started calling themselves Baptists in England and it stuck. I believe someone posted the year earlier.

And then you have the Trail of Blood view which is held by Landmark Baptists. They believe that they can trace their personal baptism all they way back to John the Baptist. They hold to a local church only and deny a universal church.

Today there are as many different kinds of Baptists as there are Baptist churches. One of the tenets of Baptist is the independent local church. Therefore many different views among us.

• Winner
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well, as the seminaries go, so go the pastors, and so (eventually) goes the flock. The Southern Baptists are probably mostly Calvinist now.

And I would think that the "established power base in the Convention" would be Calvinist. The Convention has certainly strongly supported Calvinists in the seminaries since the early 1990s.
Actually the SBC was started because of the war of Northern Aggression.

The first SBC seminary was begun by three men named Broudous, Manas and Boyce. Boyce was the theologian among them and was very decidedly a Calvinist. The SBC was at that time Calvinist. It began as Calvinist.

Boyce wrote a systematic theology called “Absctract of Systematic Theology.” All professors had to, and still do btw, adhere to it.

While there is a great many SBC churches that are Arminian they are no longer the majority.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And Baptists can hold to the Five Solas. Indeed, for some Reformed Baptists, the only thing that distinguishes them from Presbyterians is the infant baptism issue.
The Reformed Baptist denomination actually differs from Presbyterians in their understanding of Covenant Theology. Reformed Baptists adhere to the 1689 London Baptist Confession. They, like me, are 180 degrees from Presbyterian and Reformed Covenant Theology.

While I am not a Reformed Baptist, I disagree with some things they believe, my Covenant Theology is the historic Baptist Covenant Theology.

https://www.amazon.com/Distinctiven...ords=Distiveness+of+Baptist+Covenant+Theology

Upvote 0