Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Baptists tend to be very independent, they do go back to the Anabaptist movement. They are kind of an offshoot from the Reformation even though they tend to embrace the tenants of the Reformation. They are mostly fundamentalist, focusing on the fundamentals of the faith, great soul winners. Some are Calvinist but most would be of the Arminian persuasion, which is a distinction the average Baptist would find meaningless.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't quite understand the history here - Anabaptists were before the reformation, but the modern Baptist church behaves very much like a reformed church.
Anyone know about this?

Anabaptists came a little later during the Reformation. The first movement was Lutheran, then came the Zwinglians, then Calvinists and Anglicans, and the Anabaptists were peppered in along the way. Baptist separatists came from English Puritans who were partly Presbyterian and partly Anglican. But they made their own way. They are a late Reformation movement.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Baptists tend to be very independent, they do go back to the Anabaptist movement. They are kind of an offshoot from the Reformation even though they tend to embrace the tenants of the Reformation. They are mostly fundamentalist, focusing on the fundamentals of the faith, great soul winners. Some are Calvinist but most would be of the Arminian persuasion, which is a distinction the average Baptist would find meaningless.

There are many Baptist denominations! I doubt that the Southern Baptists have become Arminians. Why do you consider an average Baptist to be a minority?

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are many Baptist denominations! I doubt that the Southern Baptists have become Arminians. Why do you consider an average Baptist to be a minority?
I was just under the impression that most Baptists were more inclined to Arminian theology, while Calvinism was an influence but not a majority. I wasn't trying to brand anyone. My experience is that most Baptists are not all that concerned with systematic theology the vast majority of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't quite understand the history here - Anabaptists were before the reformation, but the modern Baptist church behaves very much like a reformed church.
Anyone know about this?

Which denomination are you calling the modern Baptist church? In America, we have hundreds of variations.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was just under the impression that most Baptists were more inclined to Arminian theology, while Calvinism was an influence but not a majority. I wasn't trying to brand anyone. My experience is that most Baptists are not all that concerned with systematic theology the vast majority of the time.
Oh. The ones I've met are usually not the Fundamentalist Reformed Baptists, but General Baptists who are Arminians and Southern Baptists who seem to be Calvinists.

• Haha
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh. The ones I've met are usually not the Fundamentalist Reformed Baptists, but General Baptists who are Arminians and Southern Baptists who seem to be Calvinists.
Ok, I see your point, the Baptist cover a wide range of beliefs. It can differ widely based on the groups involved.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I definitely don't think I would argue with Mark Kennedy, just exchange information.
That's great, I was just expressing a general impression, that was not intended to be a definitive conclusion.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's great, I was just expressing a general impression, that was not intended to be a definitive conclusion.

That's okay. I love to learn especially about denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually Southern Baptists are mostly Arminian, with a very strong and growing Calvinist presense. This is due mostly to the seminaries going Calvinist, while the established power base in the Convention is Arminian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anyone know about this?

The Baptists are several generations descended from the reformation.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Northern are different from Southern.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Modern Baptist churches are influenced both by the Anabaptist movement and by the Reformation.

They are also divided among liberal/mainline groups, on the one hand, and conservative/fundamentalist groups on the other.

I was just under the impression that most Baptists were more inclined to Arminian theology, while Calvinism was an influence but not a majority.

In the USA, the Southern Baptist Convention has been moving in a Calvinist direction for some time (under the influence of several high-profile Baptist theologians). It's probably majority Calvinist now.

And you would be surprised how intense the debate on systematic theology among US Baptists gets.

In Melbourne it's just Baptist, so I'm not sure, sorry!

In Melbourne, Australia, you have the main "Australian Baptist Ministries" group, but also a few small Reformed Baptist groups, who are Calvinist.

Within the main "Australian Baptist Ministries" group, I would also describe Mentone Baptist Church as Reformed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually Southern Baptists are mostly Arminian, with a very strong and growing Calvinist presense. This is do mostly to the seminaries going Calvinist, while the established power base in the Convention is Arminian.

Well, as the seminaries go, so go the pastors, and so (eventually) goes the flock. The Southern Baptists are probably mostly Calvinist now.

And I would think that the "established power base in the Convention" would be Calvinist. The Convention has certainly strongly supported Calvinists in the seminaries since the early 1990s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0