Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Are JEws currently celebrating the New Yaer or does it have no real bearing for them as a holiday or exciting event? How about MJs? It means nothing to us, but I guess to me I still look at the clocka t midnight. But we arent making any phone calls or wishding ech other happy new year.

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are JEws currently celebrating the New Yaer or does it have no real bearing for them as a holiday or exciting event? How about MJs? It means nothing to us, but I guess to me I still look at the clocka t midnight. But we arent making any phone calls or wishding ech other happy new year.

In regards to the Jews celebrating the New Year, I am unaware of anyone else who may be celebrating. I know of perhaps one or two Jewish believers at my fellowship who'd do it - although they of course do so with friends more so than for believing it's really a New Year since Rosh HaShanah already passed.

However, what I do know is that years ago it was something that many seemed very open to in Israel. For reference:

And for others from this year:

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, we're not per se celebrating or exalting it. But here we are at 12:39 awake and hanging out. Guess we just want some freetime from the kids. But it seems my son is waking rihgt now anyways. Oh I hope not, its been a super longday. But yeah, I was just wondeirng hte cultural norm for Jews and also for typical MJS.Hubby and I dindt wish each other happy new years or anything.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, we're not per se celebrating or exalting it. But here we are at 12:39 awake and hanging out. Guess we just want some freetime from the kids. But it seems my son is waking rihgt now anyways. Oh I hope not, its been a super longday. But yeah, I was just wondeirng hte cultural norm for Jews and also for typical MJS.Hubby and I dindt wish each other happy new years or anything.
Did your family call to wish you one? It wouldn't matter if they did, I think - as it's all about fellowship.

And yeah, I hope your kids aren't too much for you at the moment.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are JEws currently celebrating the New Yaer or does it have no real bearing for them as a holiday or exciting event?

It depends on the person. We always go somewhere but tonight we were invited 1.5 hours away and I just wasn't up to it. I've had enough time around people and I wanted to stay home with my husband. So, we just had our "celebrations" yesterday with my family. Some Jews are not comfortable with it while others have no problem at all. Personally, I haven't got a problem with it. It has absolutely nothing to do with any other religion. I see no reason not to celebrate the secular New Year.

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'm home, hubby is taking our son to work. It's cold outside, crazy people are on the roads. No - tomorrow is just Tuesday, Jan. 1st. I celebrated two new years in 2011 during Passover and Rosh Hashanah. Besides, the older I get, the more I enjoy the quiet of my house.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the person. We always go somewhere but tonight we were invited 1.5 hours away and I just wasn't up to it. I've had enough time around people and I wanted to stay home with my husband. So, we just had our "celebrations" yesterday with my family. Some Jews are not comfortable with it while others have no problem at all. Personally, I haven't got a problem with it. It has absolutely nothing to do with any other religion. I see no reason not to celebrate the secular New Year.
Truly, different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We were invited to a Lord of the Rings marathon within walking distance tomorrow but we never discussed it and I don't think we're going. It's my nieces birthday but she's older (23) and I don't think she's doing anything for her birthday this year.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I forgot to mention that last year we spent the evening at an Orthodox friend's house. This year she and her husband apparently had another get together but I just found out like an hour ago. My husband forgot to tell me or maybe he just didn't want to go. Anyway, they don't have an issue with New Year's celebration either.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nothing going on tonight. Was in the chat room listening to some live teachings and just chatting. Tomorrow will just be another day. Has nothing to do with thinking the day is pagan or anything like that. There's nothing wrong in celebrating it (safely and sanely), just haven't celebrated it in about 10+ years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
My daughter attends a Christian church geared to teen ministry. This church got together with another teen ministry church and rented the biggest concert hall they could find to do a Christian rapper band, minister preaching evening until midnight for the teens. She says it was jammed packed with teenagers.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We went to the waterfront in Philly to watch the early bird fireworks at 6PM then we ate at Dave and Busters and while my wife watched me and the boys played some games. We normally go out as a family on New Years's eve and watch the fireworks. Sort of celebrating per se.
:clap:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Happy New Year! :wave: :groupray:

images
MjAxMi0yNWQwNzlhY2RlOThkMGNl.png

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
We went to the waterfront in Philly to watch the early bird fireworks at 6PM then we ate at Dave and Busters and while my wife watched me and the boys played some games. We normally go out as a family on New Years's eve and watch the fireworks. Sort of celebrating per se.

There is no more wrong with New Year's celebrations than with any secular celebration. It's what one does with it. Reason for getting drunk as a skunk? Something wrong in that. Reason to rejoice with loved ones and even strangers? not a thing wrong there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

macher

Oct 13, 2012
✟840.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
There is no more wrong with New Year's celebrations than with any secular celebration. It's what one does with it. Reason for getting drunk as a skunk? Something wrong in that. Reason to rejoice with loved ones and even strangers? not a thing wrong there.

Noah got drunk :) So did Tevye

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
We went over to a friends last night who threw a big party playing all kinds of board games, and a game of Jewish "charades". It wasn't specifically called a "New Year's" party, but people did wish each other Happy New Year.
An interesting story came out of it though.

We were playing one game when someone came up and said that that game was responsible for him wearing a kippah. Turns out about
10 years ago he was playing it with his children, and who ever lost had to do something for a week that one of the players chose.
He lost and his son insisted that the father wear tzitzit, a kippah, and lay tefillin for a week. At this time the father was secular and managed to bargain it down to just wearing a kippah for a week. He was very self conscious but did it any way. So
one day he got in his car to go to work and thought, "hey, it's been a week, I don't have to wear it any more". Then he realized that every reason he had used to not wear it before were no longer valid. No one attacked him, people at work didn't care, no one stared at him or pointed at him. He's been wearing it ever since.

Reactions: xDenax
Upvote 0