Are individuals born evil or made that way?

Neonap

Feb 14, 2017
United States
✟20,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone I'm pretty much new here and seeking some answers but also to bond with fellow believers on this site. But onto the questions..

Are people born totally evil or made that way by the world around them?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I've always pondered on whether people are born evil or made that way by the environment/world around them. I also think we are both good and evil because we all are made in the image of God, which means we have qualities such as love,compassion,understanding,kindness, etc etc. But we also carry within us a fallen nature that is bound to sin, and a tendency to do what's incorrect than to do what is right. Is there such a thing as a human born without a conscience?
But the Bible tells us that everyone is born with a conscience and that the law is written in our hearts. (Romans 2:15) but we also know that if an individual keeps on his wrongdoing and doesn't repent, it sears their conscience (1 Timothy 4:2 Ephesians 4:18-19) in other horrifying cases a reprobate mind which sounds worse. One person I find interesting is a Russian serial killer named Andrei Chikatilo I believe he is a prime example of being made due to the harsh realities around him.

Andrei Chikitilo had killed 53 people which were women, and young victims which included young boys and girls. I'm taken aback as to how this man could had slept at night without his conscience biting at him throughout his life, but I suppose the answer lies if we go back and see what went wrong.. A child's environment and the way we are raised play a pinnacle role on how a person turns out to be. This reminds me of the verse where bring up a child in a way he or she should go and he/she will not depart from it. If you look at his childhood( if you can call it one) it was filled with death, war, hunger, humiliation, and little love. He was born during the time of communism, and lived in a village in Ukraine, poverty strangling his family where all were entangled within a one room hut. Quite sadly his mother would verbually and physically abuse him, and his father was drafted and taken prisoner by the German forces so his dad was pretty much out of the picture. Not only that he was bullied when he had gone to school( his sister would recall times when he would be crying) Also He witnessed as I mentioned before, death such as bombings, shootings and fires due to the Nazi occupation of Ukraine at the time. So growing up in all this, I think would devastate a child's mind and break a person completely. Not to sound crazy, but despite what he did I do feel pity for him. His early childhood years only make me think on how love is such a important factor and plays an important role on how a human being turns out. It just shows we need love to grow as a human being, if love is not present within the heart, hatred will abide and pollute the soul. The individual will only grow up as a broken human being reflecting the twisted environment he or she was raised in. I have a few questions regarding him, was he just destined to go the path he did why would God create someone who had seemed to be doomed from the start? Would Chikatilo have turned out differently if he had grown in a loving environment? Despite committing all these horrible crimes, do you think he was beyond saving or could he have come to repentance and been saved? It's just quite tragic that this world can be a breeding ground for broken souls and in response, these broken souls break other souls.

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that Demons can pervert the soul, and the good people.

But also, people can be made bad, and be made good, through life.
I was an abhorrent person before I found Christ, and had my complete transformation.

But to answer more biblically, no one is good. Mark 10:18 Romans 3:10.
We're all sinners, and sinning is evil.
So, to answer more bluntly, we're all equally evil.

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone I'm pretty much new here and seeking some answers but also to bond with fellow believers on this site. But onto the questions..

The reason I'm asking this question is because I've always pondered on whether people are born evil or made that way by the environment/world around them. I also think we are both good and evil because we all are made in the image of God, which means we have qualities such as love,compassion,understanding,kindness, etc etc. But we also carry within us a fallen nature that is bound to sin, and a tendency to do what's incorrect than to do what is right. Is there such a thing as a human born without a conscience?
But the Bible tells us that everyone is born with a conscience and that the law is written in our hearts. (Romans 2:15) but we also know that if an individual keeps on his wrongdoing and doesn't repent, it sears their conscience (1 Timothy 4:2 Ephesians 4:18-19) in other horrifying cases a reprobate mind which sounds worse. One person I find interesting is a Russian serial killer named Andrei Chikatilo I believe he is a prime example of being made due to the harsh realities around him.

Andrei Chikitilo had killed 53 people which were women, and young victims which included young boys and girls. I'm taken aback as to how this man could had slept at night without his conscience biting at him throughout his life, but I suppose the answer lies if we go back and see what went wrong.. A child's environment and the way we are raised play a pinnacle role on how a person turns out to be. This reminds me of the verse where bring up a child in a way he or she should go and he/she will not depart from it. If you look at his childhood( if you can call it one) it was filled with death, war, hunger, humiliation, and little love. He was born during the time of communism, and lived in a village in Ukraine, poverty strangling his family where all were entangled within a one room hut. Quite sadly his mother would verbually and physically abuse him, and his father was drafted and taken prisoner by the German forces so his dad was pretty much out of the picture. Not only that he was bullied when he had gone to school( his sister would recall times when he would be crying) Also He witnessed as I mentioned before, death such as bombings, shootings and fires due to the Nazi occupation of Ukraine at the time. So growing up in all this, I think would devastate a child's mind and break a person completely. Not to sound crazy, but despite what he did I do feel pity for him. His early childhood years only make me think on how love is such a important factor and plays an important role on how a human being turns out. It just shows we need love to grow as a human being, if love is not present within the heart, hatred will abide and pollute the soul. The individual will only grow up as a broken human being reflecting the twisted environment he or she was raised in. I have a few questions regarding him, was he just destined to go the path he did why would God create someone who had seemed to be doomed from the start? Would Chikatilo have turned out differently if he had grown in a loving environment? Despite committing all these horrible crimes, do you think he was beyond saving or could he have come to repentance and been saved? It's just quite tragic that this world can be a breeding ground for broken souls and in response, these broken souls break other souls.

John 3:19
And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Sin is just as much disobedience to God or disobeying God - especially if you should know better.

The human heart seems to backslide if not properly instructed in Gods teachings.

You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.
James 4:2 | NIV

The human condition needs Christ to atone for sin. Adams fall introduced sin - disobedience.

The question should be are people born with a tendency to be willful and disobey God?

We are born into sin so there can be a good arguement to say yes.

We make mistakes because we do not have all the data - me included. God is perfect he has all the data.

Evil would be better to describe someone who knows Christs teachings and does the opposite with great desire. Or someone who is pleased by doing wrong. Evil is a choice, being born into sin is the human condition.

John 15:18
If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first

Chikatilo made a choice. He is responsible for it.

The parable of the workers in the vineyard mat 20:1-16 shows its never too late to be saved.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Psalm 51:5 David wrote: Behold, I was shaped in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Because of man kinds fall (Adam) All people are born sinners Ecc 7:20, Ps 58:3, Pro 22:15, Rom 5:12, Rom 3:23, Ro 5:19, 1 John 1:10.

It's the man that provides the gene necessary for the child's blood. And therefore is the sin gene donor.

Before, you ladies get a big head. Remember, you all have a sin gene contributing earthly father. So, ladies are born just as infected as men.

Psalm 51:5 David wrote: Behold, I was shaped in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Romans 3:23 All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

Romans 6:23 (A) For the wages of sin is death

(Death is the laws required penalty/payment due for sinning)

Jesus sin atoning sacrifice: found thru faith in his death, burial & resurrection. Met all the laws requirements for sin. And Paid sins wages in full. Once a believers sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law

Jesus divine nature is what made Him fit for completing the work of Redemption. No one else could meet the requirements to become the sacrifice for the sins of the world (Matt 26:28; 1 Jn 2:2). His human body allowed Him to shed the blood necessary to redeem. No human being with a sinning history could pay this debt.

Jesus the Christ, God in the flesh (Jn 1:1 & 14). He alone could pay the sin debt owed for our breaking God's laws. Christ's victory over death & the grave won the victory for everyone who puts their trust in Him (Jn 1:12; 1 Cors 15:1-4, Rom 10:8-13). Maranatha

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

It's the man that provides the gene necessary for the child's blood. And therefore is the sin gene donor.

Before, you ladies get a big head. Remember, you all have a sin gene contributing earthly father. So, ladies are born just as infected as men.

Romans 3:23 All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God

Romans 6:23 (A) For the wages of sin is death

(Death is the laws required penalty/payment due for sinning)

Jesus sin atoning sacrifice: found thru faith in his death, burial & resurrection. Met all the laws requirements for sin. And Paid sins wages in full. Once a believers sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law

Jesus divine nature is what made Him fit for completing the work of Redemption. No one else could meet the requirements to become the sacrifice for the sins of the world (Matt 26:28; 1 Jn 2:2). His human body allowed Him to shed the blood necessary to redeem. No human being with a sinning history could pay this debt.

Jesus the Christ, God in the flesh (Jn 1:1 & 14). He alone could pay the sin debt owed for our breaking God's laws. Christ's victory over death & the grave won the victory for everyone who puts their trust in Him (Jn 1:12; 1 Cors 15:1-4, Rom 10:8-13). Maranatha

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I'm going to be the only one who doesn't just regurgitate a Bible verse as an answer and/or just say "It's sin or demons"? Really? Okay then.

I say it kind of depends—many instances of people being really malevolent are due to bad childhoods in the formative years, but sometimes its biological. There are certain sections of the brain that are responsible for emotion and empathy (thus our conscience) and some are born with just that part of their brain not working properly. And in some people it's both.

Saying "because demons" implies we're all just pawns in a twisted chess game, and saying "because sin" would therefore imply everyone is equally evil. Not the case.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think you can chalk it up to bad blood only, or why didn’t his father perform such horrendous acts. I agree with CrystalDragon that combinations of physical, mental and childhood conditions all play a part, but who among us knows anything of the ‘chess game’ and what part it plays.

• Agree
Reactions: Neonap
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone I'm pretty much new here and seeking some answers but also to bond with fellow believers on this site.
Welcome to Christian Forums; God bless you :)

There is "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2).

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

I also think we are both good and evil because we all are made in the image of God, which means we have qualities such as love,compassion,understanding,kindness, etc etc.
While in sin, humans can have more desirable traits, but these can be only in human strength and capability. A sinner needs to become born again, in God's own love sharing God's own nature (2 Peter 1:4, Hebrews 12:4-11) and ways with the person > 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Also, ones can seem desirable because of how they love others, but they are not all-loving but favoring certain people; and Jesus says > "if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46).

Another interesting example is how a man helped so many people but then committed suicide . . . possibly because things did not work out with his girlfriend. I consider he needed to get into real love which would not have made only some one person his idol to try to use her for what he wanted.

When people can't get what they treasure, they can act quite crazy and dangerous.

But we also carry within us a fallen nature that is bound to sin, and a tendency to do what's incorrect than to do what is right.
And our born fallen nature makes us weak enough so we can be ravaged by "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (Ephesians 2:2). Those dominating and dictatorial drives and ways of reacting to not getting what we want can work very hard. But Jesus in His emotions in us is "gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

Is there such a thing as a human born without a conscience?
Each sinner has a conscience, but it is effected by the person's nature which effects how the person is able to see things. In darkness of selfishness, we can not see well. Each person needs to become born into how God's "marvelous light" of His love has us seeing things 1 Peter 2:9). Love has our consciences seeing better :)

One person I find interesting is a Russian serial killer named Andrei Chikatilo I believe he is a prime example of being made due to the harsh realities around him.
We all can have different ways of reacting to not getting what we selfishly want. If any of us can not have a selfish treasure which we treasure, things can go downhill pretty quick. We need to make sure God is our real treasure; we can always have Him ! ! !

his sister would recall times when he would be crying)
So, possibly, he did have someone who loved him, yet he did not appreciate . . . maybe . . . having his sister. We need to not take for granted howsoever God has blessed us. His blessing, though, might be gentle and quiet . . . not some major blast of pleasure and excitement. So, we need to be deeply strong so we do not let boredom and loneliness violate us and keep us from appreciating how deeply and quietly we can share with and enjoy God and His gentle and quiet love's people.

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Good to see you, God bless you :)
Bill

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The way I see it, we are born into a world filled with evil and we are born into a body that naturally craves things that often leads to evil deeds (whether hormone driven or promulgated by some unseen beings)
It seems as though we are doomed from the start as a human being.
Some say its Adams sin. That might be true but we didn't really earn that, it was just placed on us.
Other far-reaching ideas out there are that we were the "stars" that sinned against God in Lucifers great rebellion and this life is a test of our true character to see if we gravitate towards good or evil.
Others say its the luck of the draw like with dogs. Some breeds are naturally more aggressive while others are docile.

So to answer your question...I have no idea. Sorry. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The way I see it, we are born into a world filled with evil and we are born into a body that naturally craves things that often leads to evil deeds (whether hormone driven or promulgated by some unseen beings)
It seems as though we are doomed from the start as a human being.
Some say its Adams sin. That might be true but we didn't really earn that, it was just placed on us.
Other far-reaching ideas out there are that we were the "stars" that sinned against God in Lucifers great rebellion and this life is a test of our true character to see if we gravitate towards good or evil.
Others say its the luck of the draw like with dogs. Some breeds are naturally more aggressive while others are docile.

So to answer your question...I have no idea. Sorry. Just my 2 cents.

"Lucifer" was a name used for a Babylonian king if you actually read the whole chapter, nothing more.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do we decide to do evil due to Nature or Nurture? I tend to think that we aren't 'evil' by nature, but rather because we're all human, we have proclivities toward curiosity, and these can take us to evil places and at times induce in us evil choices. But, we are still made in the 'Image of God.'

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Neonap

Feb 14, 2017
United States
✟20,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There were many,many more children who grew up in the same situation he did without becoming serial killers; there has to be something more involved in such conditions.

Could be that there could have been a demonic force involved, or Andrei had carried within his heart hatred for himself and the other people around him. Over time, his sins took more hold of him and that allowed a demon to influence him, corrupt his mind and basically give into his depravity. All the things that he witnessed in childhood, including his impotence, constant bullying and self hatred broke him to pieces and he decided to lash out. Including the fact during the Soviet Union religion was basically a no no, and that could have played a factor as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums