Are independent fundamental baptist churches a cult?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it's a southern thing?
No, it's not. It just means that we all love sausage, but we wouldn't love it so much if we saw it being made. By analogy, the church looks godly, but the politics and other wheeling and dealing that go on behind the scenes may not be all that edifying.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a shame a few notorious people become the wittness for a entire body of believers.
To be fair Steven Anderson attended at HAC.
Anderson is not a relative of who the Church was named after though.
Same thing with Pennacostal people who play with rattlesnakes and drink poison.

Pretty sure Anderson is an anti-Semite.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. Unfortunately, it seems that many IFB churches are more about the numbers...how many members, how many "souls were saved" during their weekly soul-winning marathons, etc. A bunch of sexual predators come from HAC, including the founder's son (David Hyles), Jack Schaap (disgraced pastor of First Baptist Church of Hammond that funds HAC - now in prison), and others.

Megachurch Connected To More Abusive Pastors Than Just Jack Schaap, Claims Report

Sad but true. I'm familiar with the scandals. Many of this went on before the age of the Internet. It would be difficult to cover up now.

Even at HAC though, there is good and bad. Two cousins of mine married HAC graduates. One guy turned out to be a swindler. The other though has served scandal-free as a pastor for a number of years now.

Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a church. I tried a brethren recently from my last recent topic
God has given His Holy Spirit to people before they were baptized, and He has not given His Spirit to people even after being baptized! I understand there are some churches that use baptism as a ritual for becoming a member of their particular church, but baptism is a ritual that symbolizes our becoming dead in Christ and then alive in His Life. It is our becoming members of God's own family. Pray to God to lead you to the right place to be baptized and then wait, He will make it apparent and you won't have to wonder if it's Him or not.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I only want to get a baptism but baptism is a part of actually joining the church? I just want to be baptised?!

If you don't want to be part of a church body, why bother with Baptism? Most of the churches I know will want you to stick around for a while before you are baptized.

I would say, if you have to pick, stay away from anything that says "independent" as they have no authority to baptize in the first place. Rather, if you can't stand belonging to any of the Pre-Reformation Churches--Catholic, Orthodox, etc. then find some boring middle of the road church that has some sort of authority structure.

Personally, I would go with Eastern Catholic, or Orthodox. They are NOT middle of the road OR boring, but the doctrine they teach is straight from God.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
God has given His Holy Spirit to people before they were baptized, and He has not given His Spirit to people even after being baptized! I understand there are some churches that use baptism as a ritual for becoming a member of their particular church, but baptism is a ritual that symbolizes our becoming dead in Christ and then alive in His Life. It is our becoming members of God's own family. Pray to God to lead you to the right place to be baptized and then wait, He will make it apparent and you won't have to wonder if it's Him or not.

How is it you think that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit after salvation does not exist?

Acts: 8. 5. Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6. And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 7. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed. 8. And there was great joy in that city. 12. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 14. Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15. Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Acts: 1. 5. For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. 8. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

You are correct in not needing Baptism for salvation ,water Baptism is a symbolic wittness for the believer for death burial and resurrection in Christ.
It is a outward confession of salvation.

John: 3. 11. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

John: 14. 26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

God's Word is clear on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, unless you want to remove all verses concerning the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ,and some how with no explanation other than what is

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'd be hesitant of any church that places the scriptures above God in the faith statement...but maybe that's just me......

Faith cometh by hearing,and hearing by the Word of God.
In the beginning was the Word....
God's Word is our foundation of truth,that we must base our beliefs on.
If we cannot trust God's Word we have no foundation for anything.
But I did not read their statement of faith,since I have attended a IFB. Church.
If you twist schripture enough you can presume authority for your
actions are Bible based.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is it you think that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit after salvation does not exist?
I'm not quite sure what I wrote that made you think that. I didn't say the baptism of the Holy Spirit did not exist after salvation. To the contrary baptism of the Holy Spirit (receiving God's Spirit) is the deposit of our salvation "He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory." Ephes 1:14.
God's Word is clear on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, unless you want to remove all verses concerning the Baptism of the Holy Spirit ,and some how with no explanation other than what is
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you are saying here. I didn't remove any verses concerning baptism I was simply stating that the Holy Spirit can be given before baptism (the centurion and his family) but also that baptism does not guarantee the giving of that Spirit to an individual, Simon the sorcerer is one example.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm not quite sure what I wrote that made you think that. I didn't say the baptism of the Holy Spirit did not exist after salvation. To the contrary baptism of the Holy Spirit (receiving God's Spirit) is the deposit of our salvation "He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory." Ephes 1:14.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you are saying here. I didn't remove any verses concerning baptism I was simply stating that the Holy Spirit can be given before baptism (the centurion and his family) but also that baptism does not guarantee the giving of that Spirit to an individual, Simon the sorcerer is one example.
My apologies, for misunderstanding your post.
I have a good friend that we have been talking about this subject.
Often it is 2 am when I find time to come in the forums,and I need to be more alert.
God Bless

On your picture of Chickens ,are those Chochins?

• Friendly
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My apologies, for misunderstanding your post.
I have a good friend that we have been talking about this subject.
Often it is 2 am when I find time to come in the forums,and I need to be more alert.
God Bless

On your picture of Chickens ,are those Chochins?
Thank you for your kind reply! The chickens are called Ayam Cemanis they're from Indonesia originally and all black even their skin and bones. My husband and I have hatched 8 from eggs and they certainly are personable!

Upvote 0

JEBofChristTheLord

to the Lord
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2005
Topeka, Kansas, USA
Visit site
✟38,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been looking for a church that does baptisms and a church up the road does them. Many say baptism is required for salvation and I have been pushed to do so.

I would like to suggest that you should only be baptized, if you are very strongly convinced that the Father in Heaven wants you to do so. I would not take man's word on this.

So I messaged and they do baptisms. It is a Bible Baptist church. Their page says "Our church is a friendly fundamental Bible-believing Independent Baptist Church. We would like to invite you to join us."

I have no idea about denominations. So looked up what independent fundamental baptist churches are. I got that it's a cult pop up..pages on their mind control and abuse.

Most of them are not. Some of them are. The same goes for many churches, when they walk away from truth. The first few chapters of Revelation give examples from the beginning.

I only want to get a baptism but baptism is a part of actually joining the church? I just want to be baptised?!

There are churches who are willing to baptize you without membership, and some of them are very faithful. I would be very careful. Baptism is very important, because it comes from the Lord.

J.E.B.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would like to suggest that you should only be baptized, if you are very strongly convinced that the Father in Heaven wants you to do so. I would not take man's word on this.
If we read God's Word we know that ALL the apostles baptised and it is important. It is our public declaration of our faith in Christ. We are to proclaim with our mouths that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Someone earlier said beware of the 'independent' in the Independent Baptist title and I agree.

When someone states 'independent' they are saying that they are not under the authority of any organization.

Now not saying that they 'need' to be, but independent could (not saying it always does) could mean anything.

My advice, look for a church that has Bible Church in the title. It will follow the Bible and you are safe with that.

Upvote 0