Are independent fundamental baptist churches a cult?

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Other churches should baptize, such as a Lutherans or Presbyterians. It probably wouldn't be a baptism by immersion unless its a Baptist or Church of Christ church. (There may be some other immersion baptising churches.)

As for independent fundamental Baptists, I was raised in such a church and school. There is good and bad in it. On the plus side, they do interpret Genesis literally, take hell as literal, and have a zeal for evangelism. On the down side, some such churches have a tendency to strain the gnats of no alcohol, movies, or pants on women, only to swallow the camels of improper sexual relationships along with some institutional cover up. Does the church have a website? I could look at it further if you like. God Bless.

I do suppose you have indeed been there and done that.
Your assessment is what I have struggled with for years.
I cannot say all of them are this way but I attended them and my Children went to a IFB school,and will not set foot in Church hardly at all.
I don't want to go off topic here,but they can hurt you and crush your faith in Christianity.
I thank God I was raised in a better Baptist environment or I would have been very angry with the hypocrisy and legalism.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You mean "cultish" in the sense of controlling or clannish. I don't have an argument with that appraisal, but it's worth noting that there's almost nothing in the church's statement of belief that is particularly unusual.

It's normally that--strange doctrine--which gets any church labeled a cult (Mormons, JWs, Worldwide Church of God, Christian Science, United Pentecostal Ch, for example).

And Westborough, Hiles Anderson,Steven Anderson and any other idiot screaming at his congregation false teaching.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
thanks. Just didn't want to be forced into joining when I am looking for a home church. Or pushed into a cult of any sort..told the world outside is evil etc

Most Independent fundamental Baptist do the Baptism to be members of their Church,not all are cults I know 3 Churches in my area that are not like I previously mentioned.
One of the Pastors is a friend of mine.
Some want to be independent because of missions,they want to give support to their own missionaries rather than allow a denomination to deside who they support.
Try it out and ask for Baptism see what is required of you before hand.
God Bless

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You mean "cultish" in the sense of controlling or clannish. I don't have an argument with that appraisal, but it's worth noting that there's almost nothing in the church's statement of belief that is particularly unusual.

It's normally that--strange doctrine--which gets any church labeled a cult (Mormons, JWs, Worldwide Church of God, Christian Science, United Pentecostal Ch, for example).

As someone who has attended many non-denominational baptistic churches, I can tell you that what the websites statement of faith says and how the church actually works are very often two different things. Tradition is a curse word in many such places, and things like creeds and confessions are ignored, at best. The very fact that a church puts the word, Independent" in its name shows a lack of willingness to conform to such things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been looking for a church that does baptisms and a church up the road does them. Many say baptism is required for salvation and I have been pushed to do so.

So I messaged and they do baptisms. It is a Bible Baptist church. Their page says "Our church is a friendly fundamental Bible-believing Independent Baptist Church. We would like to invite you to join us."

I have no idea about denominations. So looked up what independent fundamental baptist churches are. I got that it's a cult pop up..pages on their mind control and abuse.

I only want to get a baptism but baptism is a part of actually joining the church? I just want to be baptised?!

People were baptized in a river in the NT. No church building is required. A river, a pool, a pond, a lake, the ocean, whatever. As long as it's safe. In China, they even do it in private bathtub secretly.

• Winner
Reactions: 2Timothy2:15
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟789,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism isn't required for salvation. Encourage you to read these Scriptures.

"Of the doctrine of baptisms ,..." (Heb 6:2) Baptism means union and identification.

3 baptisms; specifically:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)

Water and Spirit baptism follow - not in a set order though:
2 - By other believers, water baptism (Matt 28:19)
3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16)

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
And Westborough, Hiles Anderson,Steven Anderson and any other idiot screaming at his congregation false teaching.
Yup...if the "pastor" went to Hyles Anderson College (HAC) stay far away from the church. Lot of sexual predators comin' out of that school.

• Agree
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been looking for a church that does baptisms and a church up the road does them. Many say baptism is required for salvation and I have been pushed to do so.

So I messaged and they do baptisms. It is a Bible Baptist church. Their page says "Our church is a friendly fundamental Bible-believing Independent Baptist Church. We would like to invite you to join us."

I have no idea about denominations. So looked up what independent fundamental baptist churches are. I got that it's a cult pop up..pages on their mind control and abuse.

I only want to get a baptism but baptism is a part of actually joining the church? I just want to be baptised?!

Since these churches are independent, as to whether or not they qualify as "cultic" will depend on the calibre of the pastor. Some are; some aren't. Being that they are independent means they are not accountable to any Boards or outside authorities, or other hierarchies.

Now, let me be clear, I'm not saying Independents are not Christians, but I am saying that they tend to be very rigid and sometimes have their own "viewpoint" about various things in the Scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yup...if the "pastor" went to Hyles Anderson College (HAC) stay far away from the church. Lot of sexual predators comin' out of that school.

It's a shame a few notorious people become the wittness for a entire body of believers.
To be fair Steven Anderson attended at HAC.
Anderson is not a relative of who the Church was named after though.
Same thing with Pennacostal people who play with rattlesnakes and drink poison.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeJ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As someone who has attended many non-denominational baptistic churches, I can tell you that what the websites statement of faith says and how the church actually works are two different things.
I have to agree with you there, but it's an important gauge. I always say that nothing beats actually visiting various churches and paying close attention to everything. In this case, though, our friend doesn't want to join any church but just to be baptized.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Advice
If it says this on their web page (or anything similar), cut a wide path around it:

"We are a KJV Only, Old-fashioned, Spirit-filled, Christ-honoring, sin-hatin', soul-winnin', red-hot preachin', tithe-lovin', separated, independent, fundamental Baptist church."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Would you agree, then, that it's noteworthy that this particular Independent Baptist church did NOT say anything like that?

It prefers the old hymns and the KJV, but nothing like what you're talking about. That page gives a rather thorough statement of their beliefs and there was every opportunity for that page to have been more specific if there was something else.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Would you agree, then, that it's noteworthy that this particular Independent Baptist church did NOT say anything like that?
I partly agree. But if you look at their "about us", some of what I stated is covered in that. The KJV-only stance is enough to keep me from ever going through their doors.

However, they do state elsewhere that they believe membership and baptism are two different things, which is what the OP is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I partly agree. But if you look at their "about us", some of what I stated is covered in that. The KJV-only stance is enough to keep me from ever going through their doors.

However, they do state elsewhere that they believe membership and baptism are two different things, which is what the OP is about.
Without double checking, I think they said that they USE only the KJV, not that they're a "KJV-only" church with all that that implies. However, that line on the website is somewhat imprecise, so you may be right about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cult.

a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

Sounds like that could apply to just about all religions and denominations.

Not trying to be provocative, just never looked up the definition(s) before.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Cult.

a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

Sounds like that could apply to just about all religions and denominations.

Not trying to be provocative, just never looked up the definition(s) before.

Well, that's what the word meant centuries ago. Today, we hardly ever see it used in that sense. Sect or Denomination have largely taken the place of that meaning and the new use of the word is to describe a fringe-type of religion or church. How to define what's fringe, however, is the never-ending challenge. Some people concentrate on the control and intimidation of the members while others focus on doctrines that are outside the framework of conventional Christianity.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0