Southern Oregon
✟7,966.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife and I have a kneeler with prayer books, Bible, etc. in our house, but don't refer to it as an "altar." Does that count?

I dunno. I was just curious. I've never seen one in any of the Lutheran homes I've been in but the majority of my church are from a reformed background.

I googled it and the hits I came up with are mainly young Catholics or new converts to Catholicism. The catholic homes I remember from my childhood never had one. So I was just curious to see if this was a recent invention or if there was a tradition of having one that got lost when people immigrated to the US

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dunno. I was just curious. I've never seen one in any of the Lutheran homes I've been in but the majority of my church are from a reformed background.

I googled it and the hits I came up with are mainly young Catholics or new converts to Catholicism. The catholic homes I remember from my childhood never had one. So I was just curious to see if this was a recent invention or if there was a tradition of having one that got lost when people immigrated to the US

My husband and all his family (and a great majority of our former town) are Catholic. Never saw one in any of their homes either.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The topic title caught my eye, sorry. :D

I've never seen any other church other than the Catholic and Orthodox Churches where the faithful have a home altar. A home altar to me is icons(For those who are EO or have EO sympathies), a mini hand censer with incense, and then prayer books. :D

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

The topic title caught my eye, sorry. :D

I've never seen any other church other than the Catholic and Orthodox Churches where the faithful have a home altar. A home altar to me is icons(For those who are EO or have EO sympathies), a mini hand censer with incense, and then prayer books. :D

Like this?

11070802_10100111982423674_2501592596641527423_n.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Sort of. We have a table in our living room with the icons, the Gospel Book the priest uses, my censer, and then various prayer books. :)

Yeah we need to get a censor before we have kids so they get used to it. I'd actually like to get a real set of prie-dieux for the home. I'd also like to move it somewhere else besides the bedroom, but no thoughts on that yet.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I grew up with my mom always using the hand censer in the house. It would probably be pretty tricky bringing it with the kids. Haha let's not get too off topic though. :D

Upvote 0