Are gamers born or made?

Are gamers born gamers or are they made?

• Born gamers

• Made by influences in life

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

01Maverick10

Archer
May 24, 2012
✟13,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say influences mainly. Those that can't afford a console or PC would have a hard time becoming a gamer (I'm not going to include smart phone or tablet "gaming" in my statement :p )

But then I think those who have tendencies to create, to like immersing themselves in a good story be it book, movies or otherwise are probably more inclined to gaming or certain genres of gaming.

Upvote 0
B

BlueLioness

I grew up playing video games, the only reason I started was because of boredom, but I soon grew skilled at it. Not sure if we gamers are born or made. =0

Some people do not care about video games at all, but I loved and liked them, they became a passion of mine. :) Not in the same boat as those people. My little sister also loved computers and reading anime stories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ferazhin

Jul 24, 2014
US
✟15,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
While I was growing up, my dad had a job working on computers & electronics so there was a gaming influence in the house from early on. Around 4 years old dad had me soldering chips onto boards for some work or home project or another.

I'm also introverted by nature, have good coordination & reflexes plus was a bit of a social outcast so I just dove into console & PC games as a kid through adulthood.

(I don't acknowledge bullies in the industry & hobby telling me that because of my gender that I'm "not a true gamer" - which attitude has proliferated on more than a few gaming fora in the past few years sadly.)

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everyone is born a "gamer"... Play is an instinctive behavior that you find not only in humans, but also in animals. All sorts of animals engage in play, and some of the play they engage in could be considered games.

"Gamer" such a weird word, isn't it? We don't call someone who watches movies a "filmer."

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I was growing up, my dad had a job working on computers & electronics so there was a gaming influence in the house from early on. Around 4 years old dad had me soldering chips onto boards for some work or home project or another.

I'm also introverted by nature, have good coordination & reflexes plus was a bit of a social outcast so I just dove into console & PC games as a kid through adulthood.

(I don't acknowledge bullies in the industry & hobby telling me that because of my gender that I'm "not a true gamer" - which attitude has proliferated on more than a few gaming fora in the past few years sadly.)
I'm sorry to hear that has been your experience.

Did you follow the #1reasontobe trend from last year? You should check out this GDC panel with Leigh Alexander, Mattie Brice, Robin Hunicke, Kim McAuliffe, Brenda Romero, and Elizabeth Sampat.

GDC Vault - #1ReasonToBe

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry to hear that, I have played with and against many female gamers and they were always great fun...keep the faith :thumbsup:

Upvote 0