Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today I came across these words: We were made for His pleasure and His glory, and if we fail to walk with His Son and be like Him we will end up like the demons that are taunting us every minute of every day, for they are the future of every failed human, void of any Truth or Life.
I don't recall any talk of demons tormenting us in my childhood churches (Weslyan Methodist and Evangelical), therefore I have never really believed in them or given the subject much thought. Friends have mentioned demonic attacks before but I have always just assumed they were imagining things (sorry friends!).

Do some churches/traditions believe in this and not others? Are all demons locked up since the crucifixion and resurrection of Lord Jesus Christ?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Today I came across these words: We were made for His pleasure and His glory, and if we fail to walk with His Son and be like Him we will end up like the demons that are taunting us every minute of every day, for they are the future of every failed human, void of any Truth or Life.
I don't recall any talk of demons tormenting us in my childhood churches (Weslyan Methodist and Evangelical), therefore I have never really believed in them or given the subject much thought. Friends have mentioned demonic attacks before but I have always just assumed they were imagining things (sorry friends!).

Do some churches/traditions believe in this and not others? Are all demons locked up since the crucifixion and resurrection of Lord Jesus Christ?

Demons are real. They are fallen angels. Of all the angels in heaven, one third of them fell with Satan.

No, not all demons are chained in hell, only those who caused the flood, by mixing their DNA with humans - their offspring were wiped out in the flood. Other fallen anges did so after the flood. Goliath was one of a nation of their offspring. This is why God commanded the Israelites to wipe out those nations, including man, women and child - even cattle. It could be that those fallen angels didn't stop with just humans, but animals also. Read Genesis 6. (vs. 7 is about the beasts, even insects and birds.)

BTW, Satan is real too.

Are we being taunted every minute? All we have to do is abide in Jesus, and resist them. They will flee. That is in James.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,514.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Satan rules the earth does he not? At least for now.

I think that evil spirits lurk everywhere. I think they have permission to taunt us etc. Are we strong enough to beat them? Yes, but, only with the help of Jesus.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That doctrine doesn't sound correct to me.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doctrine doesn't sound correct to me.
Yeah, fallen souls don't become demons? I don't think I've really heard that suggested anywhere before (not in Christianity at least). Still, it made me wonder whether people generally believe that we are tormented by demons constantly. I had been feeling somewhat tormented when I read it.
I have heard it mentioned in Eastern Orthodox teachings in the context of fasting and being distracted by unwanted thoughts in church. I have seen videos of demons (allegedly) being driven out of people (The Last Reformation type thing) but I concluded that it was all fake or imagined.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think there are enough demons to go around to count on that. Scripture does not tell us that they can reproduce, nor does it hint at a second rebellion of angels, so the number of demons would not have increased since they fell. Humans however, have reproduced quite a bit - 8+ billion today vs under 200 million in the time of Christ. Therefore, however many demons there are, they will need to rely more on humanity's propensity to undo itself than they did in the times in which Scripture was written. Likely just doing enough to start a fire so to speak, and letting it continue to burn while they move on.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Satan has the home field advantage, but we own the legal rights to the field and are taking it back.

Are demons talking to us constantly? Sometimes. But satan's forces are finite, and one of his most basic strategies is to hide the truth from us and get us to believe what is not true. Then he can go on to another dastardly work in someone else, while we continue to do his work for him. This is why the truth sets us free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there are enough demons to go around to count on that. Scripture does not tell us that they can reproduce, nor does it hint at a second rebellion of angels, so the number of demons would not have increased since they fell. Humans however, have reproduced quite a bit - 8+ billion today vs under 200 million in the time of Christ. Therefore, however many demons there are, they will need to rely more on humanity's propensity to undo itself than they did in the times in which Scripture was written. Likely just doing enough to start a fire so to speak, and letting it continue to burn while they move on.
That is a very good point! I suppose they could focus on the almost sanctified in the world (few) which would make me safe for the foreseeable future :D

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is a very good point! I suppose they could focus on the almost sanctified in the world (few) which would make me safe for the foreseeable future :D
We don't know whom they will target or when or why. We should be watchful. Not terrified, but watchful. And build up our own strength and faithfulness so that when we have to respond to their works as God's tools, we will ready and useful.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 2:10

Was written after the ascension and is relevant to the discussion.

10 Fear not the things which thou art about to suffer: behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life.

We could be temporarily tormented but we should simply have faith and endure to the end?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
They're always around us. That's not to say that they're responsible for our every moral failure, but they've been around long enough and have observed each of us long enough to know where we are most weak, and they'll pounce at the opportunity to make us fall. Often we fall on our own, but at times we are pushed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It took me years to realize this but:

• Demons are the disembodied spirits of The Nephilem that were the Offspring of Fallen Angels and human women mating. They were killed in Noah’s Flood. Their Spirits remain on the earth possessing and tempting people.

• Angels are always Angels Holy or Fallen. They never stop being Angels. I’m convinced that they can appear in human form just like Holy Angels can.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It took me years to realize this but:

• Demons are the disembodied spirits of The Nephilem that were the Offspring of Fallen Angels and human women mating. They were killed in Noah’s Flood. Their Spirits remain on the earth possessing and tempting people.

• Angels are always Angels Holy or Fallen. They never stop being Angels. I’m convinced that they can appear in human form just like Holy Angels can.

That makes sense but I do wonder why God would allow us to be tempted and possessed if that could lead us to eternal suffering in a lake of fire. Maybe conscious eternal torment doesn't exist or maybe God (via the Angels Holy) makes sure we have enough strength to resist the Angels Fallen, if we really want to. I wonder if the Angels Fallen will eventually repent and return to the light.

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That makes sense but I do wonder why God would allow us to be tempted and possessed if that could lead us to eternal suffering in a lake of fire. Maybe conscious eternal torment doesn't exist or maybe God (via the Angels Holy) makes sure we have enough strength to resist the Angels Fallen, if we really want to. I wonder if the Angels Fallen will eventually repent and return to the light.

I don’t know for sure but probably not.

The reason I say that is because Jesus says Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels:
• Matthew 25:41

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When enough people misuse God's energy (sin ) they can create vortex of energy that takes on a life of it own a demon .So for every sin there is a demon created from it.The only way it can feed is getting people to go into sinning .So there are demons behind war , anger , greed , jealousy . being drunk , smoking , drugs ,gluttony, sex etc...There are people controlled by demons that's why you have criminals , rapists, molesters, serial murders .Those that have the most " light energy " are the holy innocents children that's why they are frequently victims.

Upvote 0