Are Democrats trying to cancel Harry Potter?

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Why or why not?
Do you have an example to illustrate what you're talking bout?

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟97,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Why or why not?

What, exactly, do you think they're trying to cancel? The books and the movies were completed a while ago, and I don't believe any new content has been planned.

So what's to cancel?

-- A2SG, besides, Harry and JK Rowling are British, not American.....

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Why or why not?
I wish. They should. The Potter series is a celebration and promotion of the occult. Having been involved in the occult, I recognise it when I see it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people were disappointed by J.K. Rowling's public remarks about trans people, but I don't think there is a basis for the notion that there is widespread "cancelling" of Harry Potter among Democrats, many of whom aren't particularly engaged with the issue.

Personally, I was never a fan of HP and didn't go in for the hype. But for entirely different reasons. It also doesn't really surprise me that J.K. Rowling has very conventional attitudes about gender minorities - the HP mythos is full of conventional stereotypes, after all. Rowling is also an avowed feminist, and British feminism has it's own particularities that don't necessarily fit into a broader social justice movement, unlike in North America.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,870.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I wish. They should. The Potter series is a celebration and promotion of the occult. Having been involved in the occult, I recognise it when I see it.
Or, your involvement in the occult has compromised the integrity of your perception, to the point that you confuse a well told tale that relates the triumph of Good over Evil with something bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What, exactly, do you think they're trying to cancel? The books and the movies were completed a while ago, and I don't believe any new content has been planned.

So what's to cancel?

-- A2SG, besides, Harry and JK Rowling are British, not American.....
IIRC, there's at least more movies yet to come in the Fantastic Beasts story. There's potentially a lot of other content set in the Harry Potter universe. There are some people who are upset at JK Rowling for her supposedly anti-trans views and aren't keen on more content because of that, some more vocal than others.

It's an interesting position. The works themselves aren't at all related to the subject people are upset about, and the new content isn't even created at all by Rowling; it's mostly just the universe she created. However, it's this content that is giving her the power and money with which she can drastically amplify her opinions that people think are harmful to others.

• Informative
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Potter series is a celebration of the occult. Cancelling is not the answer, exposure is.

HP is fantasy. It's no more a real account of witchcraft and sorcery than Star Wars is an account of astrophysics.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Why or why not?
I thought canceling books on witchcraft and spells was more of a Christian thing.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought canceling books on witchcraft and spells was more of a Christian thing.

Indeed. In the context of America, Christians invented "cancel culture".

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
HP is fantasy. It's no more a real account of witchcraft and sorcery than Star Wars is an account of astrophysics.

Especially when it comes to making the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I beg to differ. Star Wars also has an occult thread running through it. The idea of the "force" having a light and dark side is pretty much Zen philosophy. I enjoyed the first few Star Wars movies. They got much darker in the later movies.

I've only seen brief scenes from Potter movies. It's enough. I'm English. I grew up with the occult. I know it when I see it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Or, your involvement in the occult has compromised the integrity of your perception, to the point that you confuse a well told tale that relates the triumph of Good over Evil with something bad.
Perhaps you can tell me about all the occult involvement that you've had that enables you to make such a judgement?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I beg to differ. Star Wars also has an occult thread running through it. The idea of the "force" having a light and dark side is pretty much Zen philosophy.

As somebody who has studied Buddhism, I can safely say that's not really the case. Light and darkness are more common themes in Christianity. In addition, Lucas was a Methodist. The story of redemption is definitely Christian in it's theme, in a sentimentally saccharine and childish way (IMO). Lucas wanted to create a modern myth with space opera, that is all.

The original Star Wars is actually based off a Japanese film called The Hidden Fortress, and doesn't have any religious themes. It's just an adventure action film with some comedy.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Especially when it comes to making the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs!

Yeah, that seeming absurdity takes alot of explaining away from the fanboys.

Upvote 0