Are Christmas Trees Pagan according to Jeremiah 10?

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are Christmas trees pagan according to Jeremiah 10.
No.
Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

If you have a real Christmas tree that you cut from the forest, bow down to in worship and then use the wood to make an idol, which you also bow to in worship - maybe. But I don't know any Christians who do that.
Plus, many people have artificial trees.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No.

If you have a real Christmas tree that you cut from the forest, bow down to in worship and then use the wood to make an idol, which you also bow to in worship - maybe. But I don't know any Christians who do that.
Plus, many people have artificial trees.

Indeed, this is a very good point.

I feel compelled to add however that if you worshipped it and then made it into an idol it would by definition cease to be a Christmas tree!

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,895.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my point, considering the Christmas Tree is not an object of worship, but rather a decoration celebrating the incarnation of God, whereas the Festivus Pole has been elevated to a religious object by adherents of various humanist cults in order to get it placed in government buildings alongside more legitimate displays by Christians celebrating the Nativity, Jews celebrating Chanukah, Hindus celebrating Diwali, African Americans celebrating Kwanzaa, and so on.

The Christmas Tree on the other hand is something enjoyed by Christians and the larger society as a whole, and is important as a cultural reminder of Christianity, like Salvation Army brass bands and Christmas Carols.

Well

I can see how it would get on your nerves.
Yes, annoying whiney drivel.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0