Are Christians who go out without Masks doing what Jesus would do?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was just at the grocery store. Probably 3/4s of the people I saw were not nearing masks. Most of those were making no effort to maintain six feet distance from others.

One man who was not wearing a mask got very close to me; I had to ask him to keep his distance. When he instead got even closer I had to point my cane towards him to keep him away. I couldn’t help but notice that he was wearing a shirt from a local fundamentalist church (I will not disclose the name of the church or the denomination).

Now, I know that wearing a church’s shirt doesn’t make one a Christian—not up to me to make that call—but assuming this guy was why wasn’t he obeying rules (signs at the store entrance say that masks are required). Why was he putting others at risk? Wearing a mask wouldn’t protect him, but it would prevent him from passing the virus on to others if he has it.

Is this what Jesus would want his followers to do? What would Jesus do?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wearing a mask wouldn’t protect him, but it would prevent him from passing the virus on to others if he has it.
Yeah the advice is where a mask when social distancing cannot be maintained. It’s being a good neighbor to do so.

I couldn’t help but notice that he was wearing a shirt from a local fundamentalist church (I will not disclose the name of the church or the denomination).
You have churches near you which have “Fundamentalist” as part of their church name? Was it the First church of Fundamentalism or Second church of Fundamentalism. Maybe he was part of the New church of Fundamentalism. Never know.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What would Jesus do?

Jesus would command the virus to End! Miraculously destroying it across the realm then would immediately commence with preaching a spontaneous sermon to the gathering crowd containing at least 3 brand new parables. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When he instead got even closer I had to point my cane towards him to keep him away.

Seriously please do be careful. Your actions may have been construed as aggressive. It pains my heart to see well meaning people beaten by some thug.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was just at the grocery store. Probably 3/4s of the people I saw were not nearing masks. Most of those were making no effort to maintain six feet distance from others.

One man who was not wearing a mask got very close to me; I had to ask him to keep his distance. When he instead got even closer I had to point my cane towards him to keep him away. I couldn’t help but notice that he was wearing a shirt from a local fundamentalist church (I will not disclose the name of the church or the denomination).

Now, I know that wearing a church’s shirt doesn’t make one a Christian—not up to me to make that call—but assuming this guy was why wasn’t he obeying rules (signs at the store entrance say that masks are required). Why was he putting others at risk? Wearing a mask wouldn’t protect him, but it would prevent him from passing the virus on to others if he has it.

3/4ths or the people in that store were ignoring the rules and no one from the store did anything about it? If I were you I would shop elsewhere. Would Jesus wear a mask? Probably not. He would not need to. We however, cannot do what Jesus can do and should do what He commanded not what he would do. If wearing a mask is good for our neighbors well being, whether it is for their health or only for their peace of mind then there is no reason to not wear one.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't have an answer but I can say a mask may make no difference the science is not firm and I have heard from some doctors that wearing a mask all the time can be bad for you. Even though many may say that a mask is good there is no evidence really either way.

From an article on a science website:
We have reviewed the results of more than a dozen randomised trials of face masks and transmission of respiratory illnesses. We found the current best evidence suggests wearing a mask to avoid viral respiratory infections such as COVID-19 offers minimal protection, if any.

Should We All Be Wearing Face Masks? Here's Why Experts Are So Conflicted

WHO says there is no need for healthy people to wear face masks, days after the CDC told all Americans to cover their faces

Then some people can't even wear a mask because of asthma like me. As far as the T-shirt, doesn't mean he is a believer because of a T-Shirt

Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
header design 7.jpg

is wearing a mask healthy for you
is wearing a mask healthy for you - Google Search

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So many questions in this pandemic concern and so much conflicting data. Many simply don't know what the right thing to do is. It will likely be an interesting read in the history books of the future what we are seeing and experiencing now.

I'm glad you didn't hesitate to help the fellow realize your boundaries. It's always important that we help each other with where we draw the lines. Your boundary was to keep the social distancing standard in the store, something I did regularly for the last 20 years or so during flu season and it was helpful to keep out of the fall-out zone of other people's coughing and sneezing. About that time I found the family had fewer and milder colds just wiping off containers from the store, like the milk jugs and canned goods. Of course, I always washed vegetables and wiped off counters, and I didn't leave my bag on a public restroom floor then take it home and put it on the counter and then fix food near it. It's a side note here that we often do some really strange things without realizing how we are spreading germs and we end up contaminating ourselves, but the main point here is that nobody really has the right to invade that six foot bubble of space around you in most settings, so keep that cane handy since it makes a good "defining rod" for you.

I would hope that the loose fitting and homemade masks would make a difference although I'm unsure science bears it out. For some people the psychology of support is important, and then there are those that think we will let our guard down with any form of protection that doesn't actually protect and end up contaminating more people rather than fewer. With all those variables and the shifting sands of information from what are supposed to be reliable sources (like the CDC or the WHO) as we wade through this experience (and life is a learning experience even with this) I've concluded that we all have reason to feel like we don't know what's up. For that reason, I support that YOU define YOUR boundaries even when others define more loosely.

The science of communicable diseases has always been ahead of the typical American public practice of hygiene, and hopefully we can all learn how to help each other but also how to constantly be on vigilance to protect ourselves regardless of what others do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What do you think a Christian would do in that case? Get close to you, not adhere to government authority as stated in Romans (in this case)? The Bible explains people who don't do what God says are against Him: Luke 6:46
Test the spirits, and sometimes you can just see their fruit for what the tree is as they expose themselves by their nature.
:yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have heard many times in various fundamentalist churches (if you live in the culture you know which ones are fundamentalist and which ones aren't) the acronym JOY, which stands for:

Jesus first
Others second
Yourself last

I think if he was putting his own personal rights first he might have been a bad speller.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have churches near you which have “Fundamentalist” as part of their church name? Was it the First church of Fundamentalism or Second church of Fundamentalism. Maybe he was part of the New church of Fundamentalism. Never know.
Try reading what I wrote. I specifically said that I would not disclose the name of the church or denomination. No, the shirt did not say Fundamentalist. I live here. I am familiar with most of the local churches. This one is Known fore being a fundamentalist church.

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously please do be careful. Your actions may have been construed as aggressive. It pains my heart to see well meaning people beaten by some thug.

Thank you for your concern!

• Friendly
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then some people can't even wear a mask because of asthma like me.

I understand that, and I’m sure you are good about keeping your distance.

As far as the T-shirt, doesn't mean he is a believer because of a T-Shirt

I know—I said that in the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you think a Christian would do in that case? Get close to you, not adhere to government authority as stated in Romans (in this case)? The Bible explains people who don't do what God says are against Him: Luke 6:46
Test the spirits, and sometimes you can just see their fruit for what the tree is as they expose themselves by their nature.
:yellowheart:
That’s why I said that wearing a shirt does not mak one a Christian in the OP.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

well, some people find masks a problem. some asthmatics, those with autism spectrum issues etc. so i understand wearing a mask but dont judge those who don't. i don't know their health history.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard many times in various fundamentalist churches (if you live in the culture you know which ones are fundamentalist and which ones aren't) the acronym JOY, which stands for:

Jesus first
Others second
Yourself last

I think if he was putting his own personal rights first he might have been a bad speller.

depends though. not if he had health issues like autism or asthma. it is fine if you have health issues that may be affected by wearing a mask that you dont wear one. but that is the execption, i guess. or those who have been tested for covid and have now recovered.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
3/4ths or the people in that store were ignoring the rules and no one from the store did anything about it? If I were you I would shop elsewhere. Would Jesus wear a mask? Probably not. He would not need to. We however, cannot do what Jesus can do and should do what He commanded not what he would do. If wearing a mask is good for our neighbors well being, whether it is for their health or only for their peace of mind then there is no reason to not wear one.

why would Jesus not need to wear a mask? was Jesus somehow immune to sickness?

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In my view, there is a place for civil disobedience. But it needs to be done in the right spirit, and that is not one of arrogance. Were I not wearing a mask on principle, if someone asked me to step back I would do so out of personal respect, which trumps the general rules I was trying to protest.

I do think that much of the flattening the curve stuff is behind us now, especially with the riots. I'm in NY and we have two weeks more of masks.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0