Pixey

Feb 12, 2017
South Africa
✟18,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi All, hope everyone is doing well and living gloriously in Christ! :)

Had an interesting conversation yesterday with a non-believer, who actually (in a way, maybe it was just my perception) looked down on me for following Jesus. :eek: She is a successful career woman who has achieved much and lives a good life, she gives to the needy, generally doesnt speak ill of others and lives by a lot of "Godly principles". (Do unto others as you want done to yourself, etc, etc).

She feels accomplished that she has achieved this all on her own and hinted at the subtle changes in me (as i continue my daily struggle with patience, being more graceful and controlling my spewing tongue, it must be paying off). :p

It's not that she said anything directly, but implication flowed from our conversation that she considers it "cheating" that i have help, ("i can do anything through God who gives me strength" came up). :confused: It made me feel like i am weaker than what she is, not being able to amount to much without God's Holy Intervention in my life.

I KNOW this is the devil working to sow doubt in my mind, :mad: and i am by no means ashamed of it that i need God. I dont think so anyway. It DID however raise a few questions internally which i wish it hadnt. :oops:

She is a good person, in my opinion and lives a "clean" life. Without God? I dont want to consider that she draws her strength from the devil, because she does not "bear bad fruits" if i can phrase it that way.

How come she is able to do this all on her own? o_O

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The non-Christian woman that you are talking about is relying on the power of Satan in her life.

Many non-Christians are "good people" in that they try to live moral lives.

Please read Psalm 73. It will tell you about the final destination of non-Christians.

Many non-Christians think that Christians are "weak and that Christians use God and Jesus Christ "as a crutch"

Christians should be aware that Satan is the major influence on the ideals, opinions, goals, hopes and views of all non-Christians. Satan's influence also encompasses the world’s philosophies, education, and commerce. The thoughts, ideas, speculations and false religions of the world are under Satan's control and have sprung from his lies and deceptions.

Satan is also called the "prince of the power of the air" in Ephesians 2:2. He is the "ruler of this world" in John 12:31.

When the Bible says Satan has power over the world, we must remember that God has given him domain over unbelievers only. Christian Believers are no longer under the rule of Satan (Colossians 1:13). Unbelievers, on the other hand, are caught "in the snare of the devil" (2 Timothy 2:26), lie in the "power of the evil one" (1 John 5:19), and are in bondage to Satan (Ephesians 2:2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Often people who resolve to be "good without God" just to prove that they can ... are deeply rooted in pride, which is a serious spiritual sin and hindrance. It is difficult even for many to understand that pride is a bad thing, especially in today's societies that extol it as a virtue. But that very tendency causes them to look down on others, as you say.

Love is a prime virtue, would you agree? Is it loving to set oneself up as achieving more goodness than someone else, and making the other person feel bad because they rely on God to grow in holiness or love or goodness?

This is at risk of judging your friend inappropriately, which I don't wish to do. Of course I don't know them. So let's just say that I'm saying this is a common human tendency, and that those caught in it can be blind to what they are doing.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps she just hasnt been hit in life yet. So she's strong... for now. She hasn't been hit with more than she can handle yet.

The question is though, when she's hit with something greater than the lot she's been given this far - will she choose light or darkness to gain strength from. Most choose darkness, lies, selfishness and self seeking.

There's also the cases where God sometimes allows the wicked to glide by in life financially and such, only to cut them down for all eternity.

These aren't the only options/cases, just some of them. Just posting for reflection purposes.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Had an interesting conversation yesterday with a non-believer, who actually (in a way, maybe it was just my perception) looked down on me for following Jesus. :eek: She is a successful career woman who has achieved much and lives a good life, she gives to the needy, generally doesnt speak ill of others and lives by a lot of "Godly principles". (Do unto others as you want done to yourself, etc, etc).

She feels accomplished that she has achieved this all on her own and hinted at the subtle changes in me (as i continue my daily struggle with patience, being more graceful and controlling my spewing tongue, it must be paying off). :p

It's not that she said anything directly, but implication flowed from our conversation that she considers it "cheating" that i have help, ("i can do anything through God who gives me strength" came up). :confused: It made me feel like i am weaker than what she is, not being able to amount to much without God's Holy Intervention in my life.

I KNOW this is the devil working to sow doubt in my mind, :mad: and i am by no means ashamed of it that i need God. I dont think so anyway. It DID however raise a few questions internally which i wish it hadnt. :oops:

She is a good person, in my opinion and lives a "clean" life. Without God? I dont want to consider that she draws her strength from the devil, because she does not "bear bad fruits" if i can phrase it that way.

Almighty God our Lord above I pray in Jesus name for this woman non-believer that she might be convicted by the Holy Spirit and be led to salvation if she is truly lost. Only You Lord know her true heart.

Lord, I lift up in Pixie in prayer, that she will Shine the Light of Christ on this woman, and others, as an example of her faith in Jesus. Amen.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Corinthians 12:9-10New King James Version (NKJV)
9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Upvote 0

Pixey

Feb 12, 2017
South Africa
✟18,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of food for thought, thank you all. <3

I must admit, it really does bug me that others can be seemingly successful, happy and sincerely GOOD people without walking a path with God. :confused: Honestly, i have many friends like this and i think the conversation (although vaguely worded) was enough to bring up my own emotions of inadequacy still lingering from my own past failures.

For a couple of years i was a "Wonder Woman" myself, living a sinful life really; living to the fullest, worked hard, played harder. I went from lowly admin clerk to running my own department in 3 short years and i was thriving. Lots of friends, lots of drinking (i proudly :oops: carried the "company alcoholic" title - bizarre - afterhours, but i was the "Go To" girl when stuff needed fixing during office hours). o_O

~ I can feel the flames of h3ll licking my buttocks again just typing that ~ Thank You Lord for never letting me go and getting me out of there ~ :bow:

Then it all crashed down around my ears in the space of a year, where my strength was so depleted, and my faith in my own abilities "suddenly" vanished. I was overloaded and overburdened, hardly ever slept, always working, severely unhappy - lots of dark hours and suicide thoughts at the end of that stretch. :(

When i look at what my friend has accomplished, and more, in the same space of time and continuing, i kind of wish she would also crash (not to be mean, but to be honest, it is petty of me).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A crash is often good for us personally.

Not something I'd want to wish on someone for my own sake. But for theirs, it can be good. God knows how to time these things though.

And it is likely ... "pride goeth before a fall" ... it is a common thing to happen. Pray God will be able to use it to benefit, if the person responds with cooperation and not resisting His grace.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Probably why i feel bad, i am jealous (WHY though) and dont have their best interest at heart. >.<
It's a normal human response ... unfortunately we have many sinful tendencies. These can be overcome, with the grace of God. :)

I hope I wasn't too blunt. I try to always be kind. But on the other hand, there is great value in simply being willing to recognize these things in ourselves (and you have done that). :) That in itself is a grace.

We don't beat ourselves up. We just ask forgiveness, ask help from God, and try to cooperate with His grace to become more like Christ, to the glory of God. :)

God be with you. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Pixey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hoohkostwon

Mar 23, 2017
Norway
✟19,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be such kind of lady you described and pretented to be strong “enough” by myself. I also often encouraged myself that I have complished so much and I would not afraid walk alone in this world. However,being strong outside just indicatse how vurnerable inside, as some stated here, people live deeply on their pride which is a spiritual sin. When I was a non-believer, trust me, I was so joulous about my Christian friends’ inner peace and strength, also their faith in God and the covenant relation with Him. This world is full of Satan’s seduces and traps: endless surfering is waiting for each of us.

In God’s eyes I think we all “weak” that is the reason we need Him guide us completely. I actually admired you that you can adimit your true feelings towards people and reflected it in a critical way according to God’s will. So, I bet you will be patient with your friend, have a mercy on her and maybe pray for her. I will also pray for you and this lady. May God bless both of you.

• Useful
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Christians “weak”?, It is an interesting question, , Regardless of anyone’s inference, my point of view:

It is commonly known from Christian to Christian you will find weakness, although quite diverse. They all come to the same Lord and much the same set of instructions, which are not the least bit “weak”. We will ever be held up no matter how weak the world sees us,

“my strength is made perfect in weakness”
(2 Cor.12:9),

“, , in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him,
(Romans 8:37)​

“And they overcame him [the devil] because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.”
(Revelation 12:11)​

That leaves us to deduce ‘diverse’ to a generalization; to which I would say; no they are not weak, they just don’t know it. They are quite nearly the original sleeping giant. As the Apostle said of us,

“You are already filled, you have already become rich, you have become kings without us; and indeed, I wish that you had become kings so that we also might reign with you.”
(1 Corinthians 4:8)​

So collectively the generalization would have us to concur that Christians resist that “wish” to reign to wish to more weakness than necessary.

“But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!”
(1 Corinthians 15:57)​

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The honest answer is yes we are, if we are trying to live for God by our ability, strength and spiritual power.
It is only through the enabling power of the Spirit that we can do anything for God.

May I suggest that you remind her of the standard God expects and ask her how she intends to meet them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

777Sloan

It's Okay To Be White
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
United States
✟49,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How come she is able to do this all on her own?

There are many sources of strength in life. One can find inner strength in God, just as one can find inner strength in their own power of will.

The answer may reside beyond simple "right" or "wrong."

In order to maintain individuality one must have a certain degree of personal power of will, yet to maintain connection with God, one must also rely on and/or give back to God.

It is often a matter of balance.

It is not hard to be strong in a worldly sense for a period of time, particularly in a way that catches the eye of another. However, when catastrophe comes, the unexpected strikes, or worse...Spiritual Strength may only then come to be known as a dimension underlying, for which those in whom one had once thought strong in times of plenty, may be seen for lacking when more familiar and comfortable grounds are lost.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Victory-N-Christ

God:Mighty -N-Power!!
Feb 25, 2017
Ga
✟39,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi. Interesting question.I've never considered myself a weak Christian and from what none believers have told me they don't see me or any other Christian as weak.Now I've been called boring because I don't party and hang out at night clubs and bars e.t.c..I've been accused of being too saved until I learned to relax and enjoy life without always being so rigid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
What your non-believer friend doesn't realize is her talent and success aren't her own doing. It all comes from God. God gave her everything she has. To think that we stand on our own talent by our own power is pride. Pride is not a good thing, despite what society says.

Upvote 0

Pixey

Feb 12, 2017
South Africa
✟18,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Firstly, thank you for everyone's kindness, and uplifting thoughts and support. You're all awesome <3

When I was a non-believer, trust me, I was so joulous about my Christian friends’ inner peace and strength, also their faith in God and the covenant relation with Him.
@hoohkostwon - this made me pause - you are so right! I didn't think about the reverse, now i am jealous because this lady seems to be so strong, but when i was in her shoes, i was jealous of Christians (the true believers, who LIVED their faith, and didnt just chatter about it). Looks like i just can't be pleased one way or another, hahaha. :p Thank you for your kind words and your prayers xx

@rocknanchor :oops: I had a tough time following your post, because intellectually you are more advanced in these matters (still a nooby here). Would you mind terribly to rephrase in laments terms as i really want to grasp the concept.

In order to maintain individuality one must have a certain degree of personal power of will, yet to maintain connection with God, one must also rely on and/or give back to God.

It is often a matter of balance.
@777Sloan - this made a world of sense and thank you for this perspective. It helped.

Now I've been called boring because I don't party and hang out at night clubs and bars e.t.c..
Hahaha, this change was the most difficult for my "old friends" (who strangely disappeared over time) to accept. For me, this was actually a point of pride - i just lost the need to gorge in partying. IT'S AWESOME :D

@alucardr - thank you for reminding me of this truth ~ this also helped ease my terminal case of jealousy. ><

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You can't see her inner world. She might actually be resentful, seeing herself as working so hard to be her own estimation of a "good person". People that have a strong need to be self-sufficient and achievement-oriented also sometimes have deep psychological wounds that are not always obvious.

Upvote 0

Pixey

Feb 12, 2017
South Africa
✟18,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did not even stop for a moment to think about it in that light. I have now gone from jealousy to feeling empathy and as already done in this thread by kind members, will also pray for her. Thank you @FireDragon76 for this insight also.

Upvote 0