Are Christians to Obey obey the Law of God?

• yes

• no

• not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I guess my big question has to do with Paul and Romans’ 7 where he clearly states that being under Law is like being married to one husband and prevents our being the Bride of Christ. Our Lord would never be an adulterer and to try and be wed to both does not work. We are now under the Royal Law of Love. If you are unfamiliar with the Royal Law you can read about the true Law and it may occur to you why so many Christians want to go to Sinai instead of the Sermon on the Mount. Paul tells us the under the written Law he saw himself as perfect even as he persecuted Christ and His people. It was only under the Royal Law Paul saw himself as the chief of sinners after being used to write most of the N. T. And close to his death. Do we see ourselves as the chief of sinners? Or was there something wrong with Paul understanding he is, not was, the Chief of sinners? Or is it something wrong with us that we do not see ourselves as the chief of sinners? Could be which Mount we have come too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

RexColin

Apr 11, 2019
Monroe, LA.
✟9,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think any Christian would disagree with this. The problem is that you previously advocated following the entire Mosaic Law.

In the beginning, you objected to classifying the Law of Moses into Moral, Ceremonial, Dietary Laws. Then you ignored the fact that no one can follow the ceremonial laws bec there's no Temple. Then you didn't include the dietary laws in your discussion. Then you started promoting the moral laws alone, which everyone has already agreed to from the first responses!!

Beside keeping Sabbath on Saturday, is there anything _new_ that you advocate here? Do you advocate physical circumcision, abstaining from pork and shrimp, celebrating new moons and full moons, etc.? Why do you consider yourself Messianic when you're not a Jew? Gentiles are subject only to the Noachide Laws.

What I advocate is read your bible and obey what God says to do out of Love for him rather than personal self righteous assumptions based on traditions of men that we now refer to as theology. In other words, if Jesus did it, strive to mimic him in all you do. This is what I define as the perfect way of life. If Jesus abstained from pork, do it. If jesus wore tzit tzits, do it. If jesus gave his life to serve others, do it. He is the fullfillment of the Law, therefore the example to follow. Neither Jews nor Christian's, determine themself the Paradigm of the Law, Jesus is. This from an ethnically Jew, who is a Christian, who goes to church, observes sabbath, and serves at Celebrate Recovery, but in all those things that are simply a part of my life and not who I am, I am first and foremost a Messianic (not Jew) who serves the Messiah of Israel. Again, I advocate obeying the commandments of God, if you do not know what those are in totality across entire canonical bible, then read more. I don't pull from Talmud nor systematic theology, bible only only only.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
if Jesus did it, strive to mimic him in all you do. This is what I define as the perfect way of life. If Jesus abstained from pork, do it. If jesus wore tzit tzits, do it. If jesus gave his life to serve others, do it. He is the fullfillment of the Law, therefore the example to follow. Neither Jews nor Christian's, determine themself the Paradigm of the Law, Jesus is.
Thank you for explaining your position. It's wonderful to try to follow the Lord as much is possible. Personally, I don't find it necessary to follow Him in cultural behavior. But, I definitely encourage you to follow your conscience.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess my big question has to do with Paul and Romans’ 7 where he clearly states that being under Law is like being married to one husband and prevents our being the Bride of Christ. Our Lord would never be an adulterer and to try and be wed to both does not work.
I'll write a quick comment and wait for our Messianic friend to tell us his position.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "A law has jurisdiction over a person only as long as he lives." Now that our old person / Adam has died, the law no longer has jurisdiction over us. IOW, we are not justified by keeping the Torah or by offering sacrifices.

We are now under the Royal Law of Love. If you are unfamiliar with the Royal Law you can read about the true Law and it may occur to you why so many Christians want to go to Sinai instead of the Sermon on the Mount.
I don't think RexColin is saying it's an either or issue. But, I'll leave it to him to comment.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll write a quick comment and wait for our Messianic friend to tell us his position.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "A law has jurisdiction over a person only as long as he lives." Now that our old person / Adam has died, the law no longer has jurisdiction over us. IOW, we are not justified by keeping the Torah or by offering sacrifices.

I don't think RexColin is saying it's an either or issue. But, I'll leave it to him to comment.

Probably I can be awfully dense at times

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I advocate is read your bible and obey what God says to do out of Love for him rather than personal self righteous assumptions based on traditions of men that we now refer to as theology. In other words, if Jesus did it, strive to mimic him in all you do. This is what I define as the perfect way of life. If Jesus abstained from pork, do it. If jesus wore tzit tzits, do it. If jesus gave his life to serve others, do it. He is the fullfillment of the Law, therefore the example to follow. Neither Jews nor Christian's, determine themself the Paradigm of the Law, Jesus is. This from an ethnically Jew, who is a Christian, who goes to church, observes sabbath, and serves at Celebrate Recovery, but in all those things that are simply a part of my life and not who I am, I am first and foremost a Messianic (not Jew) who serves the Messiah of Israel. Again, I advocate obeying the commandments of God, if you do not know what those are in totality across entire canonical bible, then read more. I don't pull from Talmud nor systematic theology, bible only only only.

But Christ did these things as His fulfilling the Law. When He said it was finished He was speaking of the Mosaic Law.

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nowhere in the new covenant does Jesus tell us we have to "keep" a day or days.
Strange that He is quoted in each of the three (Spirit-inspired, New Testament) synoptics as claiming to be Lord of a day that no one needs to keep, anyway, is it not?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First I am not a messianic jew, just messianic I do not adopt Judaism that is outside of the canonical scriptures. Second, obedience to God is good deeds, and those works to be done by believers are given to us in his Law, you know like this one: Leviticus 19:17-18 NASBS 'You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him. [18] You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD. I do not endorse Judaism nor practice it as a religion. I attend church on Wed, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and have no issue with Wednesday or Sunday service, even though I observe sabbath of no work, no fire. I do dedicate my sabbath to bible study as a personal choice not legalism. But I have observed is most folks don't even know that the new covenant includes the law as spoken of in Jeremiah, but rarely is that mentioned with new covenant discussion. People presume from bad theology the new covenant excludes the law when it specifically includes it. Jeremiah 31:33 NASBS "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Just as folks presume I am a messianic "Jew" is the same way they presume about the law. I actually believe Paul when he says Galatians 3:28 NASBS There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus..... I am to love all people and love Christ in spirit and TRUTH and love is fulfillment of the Law, that is my goal as a Messianic. If my God is the Messiah, then it only makes sense to me to be Messianic rather than a denomination, since my goal is to represent the Messiah of Israel. But what does truly irritate me to no end is all the twisted contexts and half passages that get cherry picked to present the scripture. Try quoting all the advocating passages about the Law that Paul stated, such as the Law is good if used Lawfully or that the law is Holy, or even where he says the law is Spiritual... but that doesn't fit personal ideology and concepts of freedom and liberty if one has to believe in a God of Law... I am certain my recent venture in to these forums to shed a little delight in my life will soon end, because after a few days in it, all I can think is now I know what my Master meant when he said: John 7:49 NASBS But this crowd which does not know the Law is accursed." I now know people really don't want to know what God says we are to do, they mostly only want get blessed and know how God will serve them rather than them serve God. Not all, but most... a year ago I was thrown out of my parents house on a visit because I said I love God by obeying his Law now, and he's a well known pastor. I can now see the scriptures I thought would help others only incites and irritates them if they are defiant.
Hi Rex, first I would like to explain that my post to you did not say that you are Jewish. You must have read that into the post.

Secondly and most important is your testimony about your parents. What they did to you is completely wrong, but I hope that you will have it in your heart to forgive them. I have a grandson that claimes to be an atheist and we have had some meaningful discussions as to why. He was brought up SDA and has a brilliant mind that could see through, all that he considered, falsehood. That kind of "Religion" turned him off completely. I would never think of turning him out. He is a great guy just as you are. You would be welcome in my home and have loving discussions. I pray for your folks and that you will not get burned out with all the attendance at church.

Thirdly, the law is good and Holy. God formed it for a reason and that reason is found in Ex19: 5-6. It was not formulated as a salvational covenant of laws.
5 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.” These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.’

Who was Moses to speak those words to? Israelites of course. The covenant was for Israelites. It was not intended for any other nation. No matter what the account of the new covenant in Jeremiah the covenant given by Jesus is to go to all the World. Every living soul has the opportunity to live by the new covenant. Your argument that New covenant Christians cherry-pick verses to uphold our beliefs and that we ignore the fact that the law is holy and good is completely wrong. We understand who the law was meant for and the fact that the law was not intended to save one soul. all of the ritual laws of the old covenant are not found in the new one. They served their purpose for one nation, Israel. You probably cannot see it now and I understand because at one time I was as you are. Now I am at peace with God and serve Him by caring for the people that the Holy Spirit calls me to help.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deu 11:26-27 "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse: (27) the blessing, if you listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, which I am commanding you today;
Gen 4:7-9 NASB "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." (8) Cain told Abel his brother. And it came about when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him. (9) Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" And he said, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
  • Keeper = Hebrew shâmar (shaw-mar') Strong's H8104 to hedge about (as with thorns), that is, guard; generally to protect, attend to, etc.: - beware, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep (-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch (-man).
Exo 20:19-20 NASB Then they said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but let not God speak to us, or we will die." (20) Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin."
  • Sinner/sinful = Hebrew chaṭṭâ' (khat-taw') Strong’s H2400; a criminal, or one accounted guilty: - offender, sinful, sinner.
In order to be a criminal you have to have committed a crime, in order to commit a crime you must break a Law.

1Jn 3:4-12 NASB Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. (5) You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. (6) No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. (7) Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; (8) the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. (9) No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (10) By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother. (11) For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; (12) not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother. And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brothers were righteous.
1.Is anyone who does not practice the Law born of God?​
Mat 24:11-14 NASB "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. (12) "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. (13) "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. (14) "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.
2.What does Jesus say The Gospel is?​
Joh 14:15 "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
3.If you truly love Jesus, what will you do?​
Joh 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
Joh 14:24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.
4.What does Jesus say that love is?​
Deu 30:10-11 NASB if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul. (11) "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.
Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
5.What does Paul say Love is?
a.Fulfillment = the meeting of a requirement or condition​
1Co 13:3-7 NASB And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. (4) Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, (5) does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, (6) does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; (7) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
2Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments.
6.What does John say Love is?​
1Jn 5:2-4 NASB By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. (3) For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
1Pe 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.
Mat 5:17-18 NASB "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. (18) "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
7.Has Heaven and Earth passed away yet?​
Mat 7:21-24 NASB "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. (22) "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' (23) "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' (24) "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.
8.Has the Commandments of God, the Law of God, been done away with by Jesus?​
1Ti 1:5-8 NASB But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (6) For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, (7) wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. (8) But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully
9.How do we know when the Law of God is good?​
Jas 1:25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.
10.Who will be blessed in what he does?​
Psa 119:44-47 NASB So I will keep Your law continually, Forever and ever. (45) And I will walk at liberty, For I seek Your precepts. (46) I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings And shall not be ashamed. (47) I shall delight in Your commandments, Which I love.
Mat 24:12-13 NASB "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. (13) "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
Ecc 12:13-14 The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. (14) For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.
11.To whom does “fear God and keep his commandments” apply to?​
Exo 20:6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Deu 5:10 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
12.Does that love for God include you?​
Rev 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the COMMANDMENTS of God and their FAITH in Jesus.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS.
Rev 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to WHAT HE HAS DONE. (13) "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Isa 44:6 "Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me.

hi, nice study but sadly I must disagree.

19 For I through the law died unto the law, that I might live unto God. Ga. 2: 19

First I am not a messianic jew, just messianic I do not adopt Judaism that is outside of the canonical scriptures. Second, obedience to God is good deeds, and those works to be done by believers are given to us in his Law, you know like this one: Leviticus 19:17-18 NASBS 'You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him. [18] You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD. I do not endorse Judaism nor practice it as a religion. I attend church on Wed, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and have no issue with Wednesday or Sunday service, even though I observe sabbath of no work, no fire. I do dedicate my sabbath to bible study as a personal choice not legalism. But I have observed is most folks don't even know that the new covenant includes the law as spoken of in Jeremiah, but rarely is that mentioned with new covenant discussion. People presume from bad theology the new covenant excludes the law when it specifically includes it. Jeremiah 31:33 NASBS "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Just as folks presume I am a messianic "Jew" is the same way they presume about the law. I actually believe Paul when he says Galatians 3:28 NASBS There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus..... I am to love all people and love Christ in spirit and TRUTH and love is fulfillment of the Law, that is my goal as a Messianic. If my God is the Messiah, then it only makes sense to me to be Messianic rather than a denomination, since my goal is to represent the Messiah of Israel. But what does truly irritate me to no end is all the twisted contexts and half passages that get cherry picked to present the scripture. Try quoting all the advocating passages about the Law that Paul stated, such as the Law is good if used Lawfully or that the law is Holy, or even where he says the law is Spiritual... but that doesn't fit personal ideology and concepts of freedom and liberty if one has to believe in a God of Law... I am certain my recent venture in to these forums to shed a little delight in my life will soon end, because after a few days in it, all I can think is now I know what my Master meant when he said: John 7:49 NASBS But this crowd which does not know the Law is accursed." I now know people really don't want to know what God says we are to do, they mostly only want get blessed and know how God will serve them rather than them serve God. Not all, but most... a year ago I was thrown out of my parents house on a visit because I said I love God by obeying his Law now, and he's a well known pastor. I can now see the scriptures I thought would help others only incites and irritates them if they are defiant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deu 11:26-27 "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse: (27) the blessing, if you listen to the commandments of the LORD your God, which I am commanding you today;
Gen 4:7-9 NASB "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." (8) Cain told Abel his brother. And it came about when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him. (9) Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" And he said, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
  • Keeper = Hebrew shâmar (shaw-mar') Strong's H8104 to hedge about (as with thorns), that is, guard; generally to protect, attend to, etc.: - beware, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep (-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch (-man).
Exo 20:19-20 NASB Then they said to Moses, "Speak to us yourself and we will listen; but let not God speak to us, or we will die." (20) Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin."
  • Sinner/sinful = Hebrew chaṭṭâ' (khat-taw') Strong’s H2400; a criminal, or one accounted guilty: - offender, sinful, sinner.
In order to be a criminal you have to have committed a crime, in order to commit a crime you must break a Law.

1Jn 3:4-12 NASB Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. (5) You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. (6) No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. (7) Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; (8) the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. (9) No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (10) By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother. (11) For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; (12) not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother. And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brothers were righteous.
1.Is anyone who does not practice the Law born of God?​
Mat 24:11-14 NASB "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. (12) "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. (13) "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. (14) "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.
2.What does Jesus say The Gospel is?​
3.If you truly love Jesus, what will you do?​
Joh 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
Joh 14:24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.
4.What does Jesus say that love is?​
Deu 30:10-11 NASB if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul. (11) "For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.
Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
5.What does Paul say Love is?
a.Fulfillment = the meeting of a requirement or condition​
1Co 13:3-7 NASB And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. (4) Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, (5) does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, (6) does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; (7) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
2Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments.
6.What does John say Love is?​
1Jn 5:2-4 NASB By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. (3) For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
1Pe 4:8 Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.
Mat 5:17-18 NASB "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. (18) "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
7.Has Heaven and Earth passed away yet?​
Mat 7:21-24 NASB "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. (22) "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' (23) "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' (24) "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.
8.Has the Commandments of God, the Law of God, been done away with by Jesus?​
1Ti 1:5-8 NASB But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. (6) For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, (7) wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. (8) But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully
9.How do we know when the Law of God is good?​
Jas 1:25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.
10.Who will be blessed in what he does?​
Psa 119:44-47 NASB So I will keep Your law continually, Forever and ever. (45) And I will walk at liberty, For I seek Your precepts. (46) I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings And shall not be ashamed. (47) I shall delight in Your commandments, Which I love.
Mat 24:12-13 NASB "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold. (13) "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
Ecc 12:13-14 The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. (14) For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.
11.To whom does “fear God and keep his commandments” apply to?​
Exo 20:6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Deu 5:10 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
12.Does that love for God include you?​
Rev 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the COMMANDMENTS of God and their FAITH in Jesus.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, ACCORDING TO THEIR DEEDS.
Rev 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to WHAT HE HAS DONE. (13) "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Isa 44:6 "Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me.

hi, nice study but sadly I must disagree.

Galatians 2: 19 tells us one of the purposes God designed His Written Law to do was to slay us to the Law through the Law.

Part of the reason we had to die to the Law, both Jew and Gentiles who believe in Christ, through the Law is given to us by the Pharisee of Pharisees Saul/ Paul who was fully conversant with the Law. Paul tells us in Romans 7 the Law is like a husband we are not meant to be married to and our need to be free from the Law if we are to be the Bride of Christ. Our Bridegroom would never enter into what spiritually amounts to adultery. We could not die to our Husband the Law to be wed to Christ so we died in Christ to the Law Ro. 7: 4 freeing us to be wed to the right Husband Jesus Christ. To return to that husband would be as if we committed adultery. Scripture tells us the righteous shall life by faith and that the Law is not of faith.

We are called now to live by the Royal Law of Love which is Grace or Love in action. The Royal Law is the Fruit of the Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"
(Matthew 4:4) NASB

please expand on your meaning. thanks

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is a new law in town, pardner:

Romans 13
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities.

Yep -

Rom 13:9-10
9 For the commandments,
“You shall not commit adultery,”
“You shall not murder,”
“You shall not steal,”
“You shall not bear false witness,”
“You shall not covet,”
and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

same as they had in Matt 19 before the cross (According to Christ)

Matt 19
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “
‘You shall not murder,’
‘You shall not commit adultery,’
‘You shall not steal,’
‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and,
‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” (Lev 19:18

And of course the entire Ten are pulled in with Eph 6:2 showing that the 5th commandment is the first commandment in that list of Ten "with a promise".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Somehow my post got messed up

You can not keep the Law perfectly, which was the requirement to be accepted under the law, otherwise God considers you a transgressor and guilty of the whole law and so then its curse.
The apostle warned others about forcing gentiles to keep the Law, as did Christ warn the Jews that non of them kept the Law.
So the Law shows that it is impossible for man to keep the Law and is teching us to come to Christ for forgiveness and acceptance, a righteousness apart from the Law.

Paul warns against Christians imagining that law breaking will get the born-again Christian into heaven.. in 1 Cor 6
7 Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated? 8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

lots of "commandment breaking" getting noticed by Paul there

Which goes even more so for "do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We should be obedient to the Father as children. Our obedience doesn’t affect our union with Him. That is secure. It does affect our communion with Him, .

So then no affect on whether we go to heaven , it just affects our sense of communion along the way?

Paul warns against Christians imagining that law breaking will get the born-again Christian into heaven.. in 1 Cor 6
7 Now therefore, it is already an utter failure for you that you go to law against one another. Why do you not rather accept wrong? Why do you not rather let yourselves be cheated? 8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

how do we understand Paul teaching here?

21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free. Ga. 2

one of the big errors of our days is that the covenants as given by the Lord are just a series that dovetail one into the other. The covenant from Sinai can no more be mixed together than you could combine Hagar and Sarah or the two pictures of the what have become the Way of Cain for the apostate portion of Israel and Law of Grace. We are all called Jew and Gentile to be from the one symbolic woman Sarah and the Covenant of the Good News of the Promised Son. Paul who was a Pharisee of pharisees completely conversant with the Law was used by the Lord to take the teaching about Law or Grace to the all men. Paul who in Romans 7 tells us that the Law actually keeps us from bearing fruit for the Lord because the Law Scripture tells us is not of faith and the just shall live by faith. Law is do this and live fail at any point and you break the entire Law. If the Law only prevented us from living for the Lord that would be awful beyond measure. But Paul tells us to be married to the Law prevents you and me from being wed as Christ's Bride to our proper and only Husband.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Somehow my post got messed up

You can not keep the Law perfectly, which was the requirement to be accepted under the law, otherwise God considers you a transgressor and guilty of the whole law and so then its curse.
The apostle warned others about forcing gentiles to keep the Law, as did Christ warn the Jews that non of them kept the Law.
So the Law shows that it is impossible for man to keep the Law and is teching us to come to Christ for forgiveness and acceptance, a righteousness apart from the Law.

lots of "commandment breaking" getting noticed by Paul there

how do we understand Paul teaching here?

21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free. Ga. 2

Paul defines his term "under the Law" to have the context (in most cases) as Romans 3 "under the condemnation of the law"

Rom 3
19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

But he does not generalize that to mean that even for Christians it is not still "sin" to commit adultery or take God's name in vain (as we probably all know).

In Rom 8:4-10 Paul says it is only the lost who "do not and indeed CAN not submit to the LAW of God"

Where that law according to Paul includes the one where the 5th commandment "is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 --- the TEN.

So Paul writes "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of GOD" 1 Cor 7:19

And John reminds us "this IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3

Upvote 0