Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't mean to accuse anyone, just to warn how it might look, and maybe offend someone.
As you might be able to tell, I don't care for being politically correct. If what I've said offends anyone, maybe they need to check themselves first.

Maybe I would ask the question another way, "Are extrovert personality types more spiritual than introverts?"
No, and I see no one here making that arguement. You have to understand, I see a difference between the soul and spirit. So when I say someone, or a particular group of people have a great expression of the soul I am not talking at all about spirituality.

When it comes to black people they do have this ability. And many black secular, and or, non-christian people, have every bit as much "soul" as christian black people but having a great expression of the soul has nothing to do with spirituality.

Whichever way we differentiate, I still think judging by external expression is a mistake.
Thing is, I don't see anyone here disagreeing with you on that point.

I cannot look at two people worshipping and know which is more heartfelt just by observing outward signs, and I don't believe God takes more delight in the exuberant and confident than He does in the quiet, timid worshipper who is doing their utmost, often against years of repression and conditioning, to connect with Him and open their hearts.

Some people hide their feelings from others - you might stand beside them and not know what they are feeling, including during worship. That is not wrong, or less good, though many of us were brought up to equate "being good" with "being quiet" and "not making a fuss" and "not showing off" etc. and therefore tend to be pretty repressed in public. Church is somewhat public, so you can imagine...
Why is it, in this forum, it seems that those who are exuberant and confident in their worship to God are always seen as being the evil bad guys who aren't really worshipping God but just showing off, or being emotional, or making a fuss?

The knife cuts both ways. No one should be judging others by their quiet and timid worship just like no one should be judging those who are loud and exuberant in their worship to God. If you agree on that point TLIMB, than great, we agree on the main point. :)

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
As you might be able to tell, I don't care for being politically correct. If what I've said offends anyone, maybe they need to check themselves first.

No, and I see no one here making that arguement. You have to understand, I see a difference between the soul and spirit. So when I say someone, or a particular group of people have a great expression of the soul I am not talking at all about spirituality.

When it comes to black people they do have this ability. And many black secular, and or, non-christian people, have every bit as much "soul" as christian black people but having a great expression of the soul has nothing to do with spirituality.

Thing is, I don't see anyone here disagreeing with you on that point.

Why is it, in this forum, it seems that those who are exuberant and confident in their worship to God are always seen as being the evil bad guys who aren't really worshipping God but just showing off, or being emotional, or making a fuss?

The knife cuts both ways. No one should be judging others by their quiet and timid worship just like no one should be judging those who are loud and exuberant in their worship to God. If you agree on that point TLIMB, than great, we agree on the main point. :)

You must be humble bruv and get to the back of the queue - your too flashy or should I;) say fleshy

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You must be humble bruv and get to the back of the queue - your too flashy or should I;) say fleshy
Someone else here brought up culture. If you don't fit in with the culture, simply find another church where you'll fit in. There's nothing wrong with that.

I was talking to my mother last night on the phone. After over 70 years she has left the Catholic Church. Her husband goes to two churches, one is an AOG and another is an COC. She told me that she doesn't go with him to the AOG church because the music is too loud, and for being a Catholic all her life, the worship by some make her uncomfortable so she goes with him to the COC. The music there is much softer and the people are more quiet and timid. Perfect for a woman who has been a Catholic for all those years. :)

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry my comments on racism have upset some of you. I didn't mean to accuse anyone, just to warn how it might look, and maybe offend someone. I seem to be in the minority, but thought it was a valid position.
Obviously it seemed offensive to you. I havent read the entire
thread, are there more like you who are offended?
If not, then perhaps you are looking at something a bit off, dunno.

Whichever way we differentiate, I still think judging by external expression is a mistake.
It's pretty obvious to all of us who engage in interracial worship that
the white folks are 'generally' less demonstrative.
But that doesnt mean that they're less sincere!
I'm white and may be less demonstrative than my church family,
but I believe that my heart is just as turned to God as theirs.

Some people hide their feelings from others - you might stand beside them and not know what they are feeling, including during worship. That is not wrong, or less good, though many of us were brought up to equate "being good" with "being quiet" and "not making a fuss" and "not showing off" etc. and therefore tend to be pretty repressed in public. Church is somewhat public, so you can imagine...
Certainly ! I SO know.
Although I dont think that my friends are 'showing off' just because
they are more vocal than I am.

This thread has made me laugh - I'll have to show it to my wife and hopefully it will get me back in her good books:doh:
:thumbsup::amen:

Before I came to the Lord I was what you call a SOUL BOY back in the UK, and no one can tell me that White singers are better than Black(on the whole) cause they are plainly not. (on the whole)
MAn, you're singing to the choir.
But I'm guessing it's preference? I , like you, happen to prefer the more
"black?" type of singing and music. But maybe there are others who
do not care for that.
So while I too, think that blacks sing 'much' better than whites, maybe
it's just our taste?
Check it out, as the only white person on the worship team, I've been
struggling with some sort of 'coveting' i think. :(
When we sing, I feel so.... so... i guess inadequate. EVEN though I realise
we're singing to GOD and that it's not for each other, I still find myself
trying to make my voice deeper and richer :blush:

Hope you worked things out with the missus.
:pray:

Upvote 0

Angel*Eyes

Feb 20, 2005
✟16,572.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Wow, this thread is really interesting. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

My sister said that black people on another forum were talking about how so called 'white music' is true worship and more spiritual.

Surprisingly ... a lot of the black people seemed to prefer Jason Upton, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jeremy Camp or Micheal W. Smith over black gospel music.

As a black person and a songwriter, I feel that God gives me more contemporary sounding songs rather than gospel music. I was told by other black people that I have a beautiful voice but not a gospel voice ( I have a light, lyrical, and very classical sounding singing voice).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow, this thread is really interesting. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
You're speaking of my 'coveting'?
:blush:

My sister said that black people on another forum were talking about how so called 'white music' is true worship and more spiritual.
Crazy stuff lol.
I love it all !!

:clap:

Surprisingly ... a lot of the black people seemed to prefer Jason Upton, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jeremy Camp or Micheal W. Smith over black gospel music.
At my church they seem to prefer Israel/NewBreed,
Ty Trivett, Kirk Franklin et al.
Which is awesome, but we're learning a few new songs
and they're all by various artists (Hillsong)
I think it's good if we have some diversity because many
people (white) dont seem to know any of those other songs
and so maybe wouldnt make a return visit to our church
since they dont feel like they can join in the worship.
You know what I mean?
Pastor was hoping that there wouldnt be any racial divisions
in our church.

As a black person and a songwriter, I feel that God gives me more contemporary sounding songs rather than gospel music. I was told by other black people that I have a beautiful voice but not a gospel voice ( I have a light, lyrical, and very classical sounding singing voice)
Do you suppose any of it has to do with environment?
Or do you believe it's mostly genetic? IOW, COULD you have
a deep soulful gospel voice?

God bless you,
sunlover

Upvote 0

Angel*Eyes

Feb 20, 2005
✟16,572.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Probably, it is genetic. I grew up in small town, went to a black baptist church, and listened to black music. Even as a small child, people would ask me if I was from England since I talked different.

During a fast, God separately showed both my sister and I visions of us singing at a concert hall. We started looking up gospel singing techniques. We soon gave up because it didn't sound the same.

My sister was really flustrated and started complaining about her voice. And that night she had a dream where she saw a hand put a cd in a stereo. She heard us singing with beautiful, enchanting/exotic, and etheral like voices. This shocked her since we had assumed that we would be gospel singers and had spent time training to develop a fuller sound.

I've now accepted the voice that God has given me instead of trying to be a bad imitation of what I am not.

God is very creative and I guess He has a sense of humor. :D I'm a black country girl, I sound like I'm from England, people say I look asian, and my music sounds exotic,messianic,folksy, and a mixture of other things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Obviously it seemed offensive to you. I havent read the entire
thread, are there more like you who are offended?
If not, then perhaps you are looking at something a bit off, dunno.

It's pretty obvious to all of us who engage in interracial worship that
the white folks are 'generally' less demonstrative.
But that doesnt mean that they're less sincere!
I'm white and may be less demonstrative than my church family,
but I believe that my heart is just as turned to God as theirs.

Certainly ! I SO know.
Although I dont think that my friends are 'showing off' just because
they are more vocal than I am.

:thumbsup::amen:

MAn, you're singing to the choir.
But I'm guessing it's preference? I , like you, happen to prefer the more
"black?" type of singing and music. But maybe there are others who
do not care for that.
So while I too, think that blacks sing 'much' better than whites, maybe
it's just our taste?
Check it out, as the only white person on the worship team, I've been
struggling with some sort of 'coveting' i think. :(
When we sing, I feel so.... so... i guess inadequate. EVEN though I realise
we're singing to GOD and that it's not for each other, I still find myself
trying to make my voice deeper and richer :blush:

Hope you worked things out with the missus.

:pray:

LOL ! I'm getting there - many thanks .

isn't this debating fun...I love the way we all put our points across and then come to the conclusion...........that MY post was absolutely accurate in its entirety^_^

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I thought I'd throw that one in.....it is often said...but how true is it ?:confused:
American black culture is more 'churchy', less secular, than American white culture. To that extent, it has some truth to it.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To add to what I said. In the context of London today you will find more black church goers than white. Thats whats happening in London today, praise God for these Africans, without them the Christian voice in London would be much less. For example, regard this clip from a London Church, what % of the church if black/white?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FIUxkuFa7C0

However, regardless of our country of origin we are all one in Christ, we are all a family and should look out for one another:wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
To add to what I said. In the context of London today you will find more black church goers than white. Thats whats happening in London today, praise God for these Africans, without them the Christian voice in London would be much less. For example, regard this clip from a London Church, what % of the church if black/white?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FIUxkuFa7C0

However, regardless of our country of origin we are all one in Christ, we are all a family and should look out for one another:wave:

I can't hear this clip - but this is John francis from Ruach - this Church is more West indian than African. In fact one of the biggest (around 3,000 in attendance).

But then again Kensington Temple a white lead Pentecostal Church (even bigger overall) but the congregation is 80% black - work that one out !?!

Seems as the "white folk" don't buy into the glamour gospel as they see it from our "american" brothers across the pond,

I'm sure once we stop talking about money, money, money, they'll come flooding back - hopefully.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.