Lena
✟31,490.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I mean, they talk about how great they are, but think about it, the presidents doesn`t have to be social ether in society with normal people or on the internet and they don`t even mention the struggles some people have with that and they also kill people out of country instead of just using humour and talk and I`ve been around the internet also, forums, games and so fourth, they all just talk garbage the americans there, why do they stand up there and lie to everyone?

Attachments

• fsdfs.jpg
    fsdfs.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 3
Jun 2, 2019
Somewhere
✟30,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean, they talk about how great they are, but think about it, the presidents doesn`t have to be social ether in society with normal people or on the internet and they don`t even mention the struggles some people have with that and they also kill people out of country instead of just using humour and talk and I`ve been around the internet also, forums, games and so fourth, they all just talk garbage the americans there, why do they stand up there and lie to everyone?

Lying. It's one of the favorite American pastimes.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Growing up in Canada, the most consistent view I am told and taught about Americans is that they are arrogant, war-loving, ignorant, greedy, obese, and just all-around unpleasant people.

However, it is wrong to generalize. I have met some amazing Americans on this website and others. I have also done research and reading over my lifetime since high school, learning that the United States of America does have its merits. However, I also agree it has a highly narcissistic culture, partly because of its status as a once over-achieving nation.

Do I think the United States has many, many problems that need solving? Absolutly!
Do I think the United States is the evil empire like I was brought up to believe? Not anymore.

After reading The Fate of Empires by Sir John Bagot Glubb,[1] I also agree it is an empire in decline. However, it is not too late for an American Renaissance to take place. Pray to God for that to happen.
  1. http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Growing up in Canada, the most consistent view I am told and taught about Americans is that they are arrogant, war-loving, ignorant, greedy, obese, and just all-around unpleasant people.
How unfortunate that you were taught in such a manner. I was told and taught that Canadians were like everyone else, some good, some bad. Different perspective I suppose.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How unfortunate that you were taught in such a manner. I was told and taught that Canadians were like everyone else, some good, some bad. Different perspective I suppose.

Sad, but true. The teachers wasted no opportunity in taking shots at Americans. Most in my area have generally negative attitudes towards Americans. When I was a teenager, my own father told me he had a strong feeling the Americans would start World War III.

Like I said, after talking to actual Americans and doing the research, it is not black and white. We are all human beings made in God's image, not stereotypes. I never enjoyed hockey, I prefer McDonald's to Tim Horton's, and I used to have a very bad temper involving language that would make a sailor blush.

It is one thing to be told about something. Actually experiencing that something is completely different.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well, those are our choices because that's the way our system is structured. As long as those in power continue to keep most of us pacified in our beliefs that we actually effect change in a meaningful way, things will continue to be this way.

Biden and Trump aint so different. At the end of the day, they are still old white men who will work to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. That is just my opinion, but when one looks at how that wage gap has been broadening since Reagan, it shows no signs of slowing down; regardless of whether or not the president happens to have a (R) or a (D) next to their name.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

You do know "Americans" include Canadians, Mexicans, Central Americans...all the way down to...what is it...Argentina...don't you?

But, yeah, okay...you mean U.S. Citizens.

I really don't know the answer to your question, I guess, because I've never been outside of the Americas. They say world travel is the greatest education and I can see why that may be. I would think that empathy...having the capacity to peer through the lens of many different cultures would make one wiser and more humble. But, maybe not. I mean, the U.S. is a sort of worldwide melting pot drawing from the rest of the world, so one could argue that we have been (ahead of the rest of the world) about the business of tolerance and empathy, but it has been a messy business, that's for sure.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

However, it is wrong to generalize. I have met some amazing Americans on this website and others. I have also done research and reading over my lifetime since high school, learning that the United States of America does have its merits. However, I also agree it has a highly narcissistic culture, partly because of its status as a once over-achieving nation.

Do I think the United States has many, many problems that need solving? Absolutly!
Do I think the United States is the evil empire like I was brought up to believe? Not anymore.

After reading The Fate of Empires by Sir John Bagot Glubb,[1] I also agree it is an empire in decline. However, it is not too late for an American Renaissance to take place. Pray to God for that to happen.
  1. http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Your country isn't the only one who views us this way. Just about everyone does... One has to wonder how we got this reputation, don't they?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your country isn't the only one who views us this way. Just about everyone does... One has to wonder how we got this reputation, don't they?

Whenever an immigrant moves into my town, a family member of mine is always interested in why s/he chose Canada instead of the USA. One foreigner in particular said, "Americans are all 'MONEY MONEY MONEY!'"

Another example is a young American. This person was very happy with the daily fear of getting shot being no longer there, even if there was nothing to do in my town.

...And there are many, many more anecdotal stories where those came from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am a Canadian who has travelled a fair amount in the USA. I have found Americans to be quite insular and the majority seem to have little knowledge or understanding of anything outside the USA and a fair number of those not even outside their state. The most extreme personal example is a man I met in Buffalo NY. He did not believe me when I told him that those bridges down at the river went to Canada. Having said all that I must admit that I have not been to the USA for about 30 years. I also must say that I found the people to be very friendly and hospitable.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
its status as a once over-achieving nation.
I live in the United States. Not all are alike, to say it simply.

The aggressive ones can make their show so you can suppose all in their group or country are like them.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

"The faults of a generation rest with it's heads and leaders."

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The faults of a generation rest with it's heads and leaders."
But each person of a generation has been brought up by parents who have influenced what that child becomes ready to do and who that child becomes ready to accept as a leader. And the heads and leaders possibly were brought up by moms and dads possibly similar to those who produced the generation.

The ones at the top can be the tip of an iceberg of others having similar character so all are available to do something with each other.

You can not keep the tip up there without the mass of ice below the surface to support it.

In Germany, Adolph could not have done things he did, unless there were numerous psychopaths capable of welcoming him and their opportunity to do what they did with him. Ones capable of obeying him had already been produced, before he showed, and they already had developed so they were capable of doing what they did. So, they helped each other.

Of course, previous leadership had kept them in check; so yes to some extent it was the fault of Adolph who turned them loose. But many people cooperated with him; they chose to do that. Of course, there were ones in denial, possibly because of what they wanted to be true, though . . . not caring about others as themselves, but only their own country and ambitions, maybe. So, their own character and development helped, I would say.

Part of that might have been how German laborers felt they were being cheated; and they were willing to kill in order to have work, and Adolph had people killing Jews in order to get power. And in the United States, at different times ones have been fine with killing people of certain groups, in order to keep or get what they wanted > Native Americans, Mexicans, kidnapped Africans, and now ones kill the unborn in order to have what they want. And now we see how certain ones are fine with indirect killing > there are ones who want to work; so they are fine with others dying of COVID-19 so they can work.

But during the Capitol event we did not see tens of thousands of people each killing people, and right now there are not tens of thousands fighting and killing and vandalizing. I think that crowd easily could have done a lot more, if all were committed to violence and use of force. So, I'm not sure they all were there for a takeover.

Plus . . . already . . . in the United States, checks and balances were in place and helped, so Donald was stopped, I would say. Also, there's the you can't fool all the people all of the time thing.

We already see how humans are capable of believing exact opposite things, or ones are capable of outright lying against the correct group.

Ones did that with Jesus. Ones knew the truth about Him, but they even bribed soldiers to lie and say they were asleep while the disciples stole Christ's body. So, yes humans are capable of deliberate conspiracies, while others can believe maybe whichever conspirators they want to believe, depending on who promises them what they want to hear.

So, may be I need to be wise to how I can fool myself, so I am not so ready to jump to believe people I don't even know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
But each person of a generation has been brought up by parents who have influenced what that child becomes ready to do and who that child becomes ready to accept as a leader. And the heads and leaders possibly were brought up by moms and dads possibly similar to those who produced the generation.

The ones at the top can be the tip of an iceberg of others having similar character so all are available to do something with each other.

You can not keep the tip up there without the mass of ice below the surface to support it.

In Germany, Adolph could not have done things he did, unless there were numerous psychopaths capable of welcoming him and their opportunity to do what they did with him. Ones capable of obeying him had already been produced, before he showed, and they already had developed so they were capable of doing what they did. So, they helped each other.

Of course, previous leadership had kept them in check; so yes to some extent it was the fault of Adolph who turned them loose. But many people cooperated with him; they chose to do that. Of course, there were ones in denial, possibly because of what they wanted to be true, though . . . not caring about others as themselves, but only their own country and ambitions, maybe. So, their own character and development helped, I would say.

Part of that might have been how German laborers felt they were being cheated; and they were willing to kill in order to have work, and Adolph had people killing Jews in order to get power. And in the United States, at different times ones have been fine with killing people of certain groups, in order to keep or get what they wanted > Native Americans, Mexicans, kidnapped Africans, and now ones kill the unborn in order to have what they want. And now we see how certain ones are fine with indirect killing > there are ones who want to work; so they are fine with others dying of COVID-19 so they can work.

But during the Capitol event we did not see tens of thousands of people each killing people, and right now there are not tens of thousands fighting and killing and vandalizing. I think that crowd easily could have done a lot more, if all were committed to violence and use of force. So, I'm not sure they all were there for a takeover.

Plus . . . already . . . in the United States, checks and balances were in place and helped, so Donald was stopped, I would say. Also, there's the you can't fool all the people all of the time thing.

We already see how humans are capable of believing exact opposite things, or ones are capable of outright lying against the correct group.

Ones did that with Jesus. Ones knew the truth about Him, but they even bribed soldiers to lie and say they were asleep while the disciples stole Christ's body. So, yes humans are capable of deliberate conspiracies, while others can believe maybe whichever conspirators they want to believe, depending on who promises them what they want to hear.

So, may be I need to be wise to how I can fool myself, so I am not so ready to jump to believe people I don't even know.

Many words but no answer to the question in the OP.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I offer in Post #15 can be used to answer the question in the title of this thread, and give some context.

Americans can be high in themselves, by caring only or mainly about their own selves. And any selfish ones in leadership can have this tendency which they have gotten partly from the overall culture of people caring only or mainly about their own selves.

And, as I offered, any selfish people below rogue leaders already had this tendency before their rogue leaders came along. Plus, the mainstream leaders likewise can have the same tendency . . . of self favoritism.

So, I mean > ones at the top are not the only ones who have helped degrade American culture. And parents have brought up both the leaders and the followers so ones can have the self-favor tendency in common and this can make them favor only or mainly their own country . . . versus how God's word says to love others as ourselves.

But not all Americans are only or mainly about their own selves.

Upvote 0

MaxQ

Cow Cuddler
Jan 20, 2021
Brisbane
✟8,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Naturalist
Marital Status
Single
I think I know why Americans have that type of attitude. Could be a side effect of generations of families believing that America is God's primary nation and the source for spreading Jesus gospel of salvation to the world.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I know why Americans have that type of attitude. Could be a side effect of generations of families believing that America is God's primary nation and the source for spreading Jesus gospel of salvation to the world.
I am aware of how certain people promote that the United States is God's country for promoting the Gospel. But there is not the example of the Gospel functioning in the overall United States culture, I would say.

Also > there are TV ministries which promote that America must "bless Israel", in order to keep on being blessed. So, they are tacking on an Israel agenda to their promotion that America is God's country for spreading the Gospel. But it appears to me, how there can be virtually no evaluation of any candidate of theirs, who is pro-Israel politically, and no evaluation of if Israel is obeying Jesus as their Messiah. But it seems ones mainly talk about returning to land . . . not how ones need to return to the LORD by trusting and obeying Jesus who is the Lord of all.

And ones into this do not represent all Americans, and do not represent all "evangelicals".

The main problem, I would say, is how ones are trying to use democracy. Each citizen can be one's own dictator. And we see how this is working > democracy is god, because it lets every person live for oneself, as long as no one breaks basic laws which keep people from interfering with how others also live selfishly. So, as much as this is in place, this has nothing at all to do with the Gospel or the best interest of Israel.

But there are selfish people in other systems, too.

However, an unselfish person can use democracy in a good way, with God . . . right while others do otherwise.

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think it's proper to paint with such a broad brush? I've been around the internet too and I find people from a lot of other countries including Norway that exhibit the same behavior that you attribute to Americans. I can think of one person, a family friend of my wife's from Sweden, who is completely arrogant and thinks Sweden is the greatest country on Earth and all he does is bash America when he comes to visit. Also, the supposed anonymity of the internet doesn't help either. People say and do things online that they wouldn't face to face.

Upvote 0